ethistu7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Title self-explanatory... which which which?
English has always been one of my stronger subjects but as I'm potentially looking for a medical career I'm doing biology, chemistry and something else... which obviously would need to be at a good grade.

Which is less stressful, better for medicine, more interesting etc?

Any help greatly appreciated
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want to do medicine, then you'd be much better off doing your third subject in another science (i.e physics) or maths. Having only two science/maths subjects for medicine could be a problem at some universities, and narrow your options a bit (though you're at least doing chemistry, which as you know is practically mandatory).
Athematica
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
English Language is more along the lines of grammar and linguistics and literature about literary analysis. Depends on which you find more interesting. Eng Lit is sometimes held in higher regard but both are respectable subjects.

(Original post by Reality Check)
If you want to do medicine, then you'd be much better off doing your third subject in another science (i.e physics) or maths. Having only two science/maths subjects for medicine could be a problem at some universities, and narrow your options a bit (though you're at least doing chemistry, which as you know is practically mandatory).
It is only a detriment at Cambridge, else source.

Chemistry and another science (biology preferred) is what most med schools will ask for, if not Chemistry and biology (mandatory). Cambridge do ask for 3 sciences but nowhere else does that I am aware of.
bex.anne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends which one youre better at. If you like books and reading do english lit, but if you want to learn about how kids learn to speak, why men and women speak differently, learn about different accents and dialects, do english lang. Don't do lit if you dont like reading books and if youre not good at analysing books. Both lang and lit require a lot less work than bio&chem so either subject will be good to ease yourself the strain of the work load, literally hardly any revision is needed in comparison to bio&chem imo. Literature is however regarded a more well respected subject, however for medicine if you have bio&chem the other subject can be in anything and if you think you'll do better in language and youll like it more, then do language.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ethistu7)
English has always been one of my stronger subjects but as I'm potentially looking for a medical career I'm doing biology, chemistry and something else... which obviously would need to be at a good grade.

Have a look at this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...el-requirement

This gives all the medical schools and their requirements. As you will see, you can chose a third A level in a non-science subject for a lot of unis, but it will rule some out. It really depends on where you want to go to university, I suppose!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Athematica)
English Language is more along the lines of grammar and linguistics and literature about literary analysis. Depends on which you find more interesting. Eng Lit is sometimes held in higher regard but both are respectable subjects.

It is only a detriment at Cambridge, else source.

Chemistry and another science (biology preferred) is what most med schools will ask for, if not Chemistry and biology (mandatory). Cambridge do ask for 3 sciences but nowhere else does that I am aware of.
See above. This is why I was careful to say 'some' universities.
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
See above. This is why I was careful to say 'some' universities.
It is _just_ Cambridge, after scanning that list again. I think we need to be more careful to not exaggerate how many this will affect. And, even then, it is only some Cambridge colleges that seem to require it.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is _just_ Cambridge, after scanning that list again. I think we need to be more careful to not exaggerate how many this will affect. And, even then, it is only some Cambridge colleges that seem to require it.
You need to read more widely and be more sure of your facts:

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf

Exeter: 3 science A levels required.
Cambridge: 3 science A levels required
Oxford: 3 science A levels required.

It's not just Cambridge, though the number of universities affected by doing only 2 science A levels are few. However, if you'd set your heart on going to Oxford, then it would be a problem.
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
You need to read more carefully and be more sure of your facts:

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf

Exeter: 3 science A levels required.
Cambridge: 3 science A levels required
Oxford: 3 science A levels required.

It's not just Cambridge, though the number of universities affected by doing only 2 science A levels are few. However, if you'd set your heart on going to Oxford, then it would be a problem.
That was not in the document you posted previously :lol:

Exeter: Bio/Physics If Bio is not offered to A2, min C at AS is required
Oxford A*AA Yes 1 of Bio / Maths / Physics Critical Thinking, General Studies.

Don't condescend me. The sources you gave disagree with each other. It has nothing to do with my reading comprehension.

I presume the later one is more accurate and so will concede the position.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That was not in the document you posted previously :lol:
How is that relevant to your incorrect claim that it is only certain colleges of the University of Cambridge which require three science A levels?

You've still got Exeter wrong, despite my posting the information the OP needs. It's Chemistry, Biology and one of either maths or physics at A level. :facepalm:
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
How is that relevant to your incorrect claim that it is only certain colleges of the University of Cambridge which require three science A levels?
I said, unless sourced otherwise. The table you presented as fact

Have a look at this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...el-requirement

This gives all the medical schools and their requirements. As you will see, you can chose a third A level in a non-science subject for a lot of unis, but it will rule some out. It really depends on where you want to go to university, I suppose!
stated differently.

Clearly the requirements have changed for 2017 entry and that table was not updated and is therefore redundant. Until this year, my advice and the table were both correct.

Like I said in my previous post, I will concede the position. But telling me it's a function of comprehension and not just looking at the very table you presented and saying it says different to what you were is exactly what it has to do with that claim-- Since I claimed the same thing it reads!
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
You've still got Exeter wrong, despite my posting the information the OP needs. It's Chemistry, Biology and one of either maths or physics at A level. :facepalm:
No it is not.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduat...y-requirements
Typical offer A*AA-AAA; IB:38-36 Required subjects GCE AL Biology and Chemistry at grade A or IB Biology and Chemistry at HL6. General Studies is not included in any offer.

Exeter A*AAc-AAAc Yes Bio/Physics If Bio is not offered to A2, min C at AS is required
Chemistry REQUIRED
Biology or Physics A2

If Bio not offered at A2, then at AS.

You are incorrect again.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think this shows up a valuable point. Which is right - that page, or the Medical Schools Council 'Entry requirements for 2017'?! You could expect both to be equally reliable.

ForestCat - any thoughts on this?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are incorrect again.
No, you are - you claimed that only Cambridge required 3 Science A levels. It's Cambridge AND Oxford at a minimum, and Exeter is questionable, given the sources.
Athematica
Report 3 years ago
I'd be inclined to go with the university website > that pamphlet > Tsr's table, emailing the universities for confirmation.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd be inclined to go with the university website > that pamphlet > Tsr's table, emailing the universities for confirmation.
Yes, I agree with that order. Either way, the TSR table needs updating with the correct information and Exeter just needs clarifying, given many students would use the Medical School Council's publications as reliable sources of information for this sort of thing.
ethistu7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you - I may just do eng language but I'm worried it's not a facilitating subject?! As for another science, I could not bring myself to do physics or maths. So I'll apply to the Unis that don't want it 😊😊
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you - I may just do eng language but I'm worried it's not a facilitating subject?! As for another science, I could not bring myself to do physics or maths. So I'll apply to the Unis that don't want it 😊😊
As you can see from the Medical Schools tables, the vast majority of universities are happy with 2 Science/maths A levels. Cambridge AND Oxford plus possibly Exeter (to be confirmed) require 3 sciences. However, that still leaves an awful lot of choice.

I'd be confident in choosing English Language, but as ever it might be worth compiling a quick shortlist of universities you're likely to apply to and checking with them to be absolutely sure. I know the old order used to be English Lit>English Lit & Lang>English Lang, so maybe it really is worth checking.

Good luck with the application.
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Which can you get an A in. It really is as simple as that when it comes to medicine. 'Facilitating' subjects are irrelevant. I see this term banded about TSR as if it has some great meaning. If you're applying to medicine, you definitely need chemistry, biology makes life much easier and as long as the third subject isn't critical thinking/general studies than get an A and you'll be fine.

The only caveat is if you want to apply to Cambridge (which does require a third science) or if you plan on sitting the BMAT where its possible maths could help improve your score (although its nexttime who has looked in to this, not me).
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
On the whole debate of where to get information from. Go for the universities website, it is always the most up to date. Things can change right up until the application deadline (and even after) and third party sources are often only a snap shot froom one point in time when the document was produced.

I also don't advocate emailling to 'double check'. Unless the information really isn't listed anywhere on the website or you have unusual/non British qualifications. Given by the advice/posts on TSR the poor admissions offices must get far too many emails asking for information that is clearly stated on their website. They are usually pretty careful to avoid ambiguity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads