The Student Room Group

What is a politics degree like?

Hello,

I am currently thinking about taking a politics degree at university. I have done my research about the degree online but just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience of what studying politics at university is like and primarily what type of people they think thrive most taking politics.

Thanks
Reply 1
Ah, a politics degree.

I'm a 3rd year at a Scottish uni, with Politics my degree.

Contact hours? 4 hours of scheduled class a week this semester. :redface: It is very much a degree of self-discipline and study. The lack of contact hours are made up in the assignment sizes alone for me. :sadnod:

I've taken modules I've hated (looking at you, IR, and you, EU-USA relations) but modules I've loved (Theorising Politics and Irish politics :love:).

Type of person who suits this degree? Clearly, you need to enjoy politics. But not just current affairs, oh May is doing this, damn Trump has tweeted that. A lot of it, for me, has been theory and policy. The workings of EU institutions or agreements made. Hypothetical theories that technically cannot exist in real life. The research and the reading can be quite heavy, and I guarantee you, you will get sick of it sometimes.
Reply 2
Thanks so much for this! And sorry for my late reply - super helpful to hear from you though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending