artthalia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am in my AS year of A levels but i have decided that A levels are just not for me, so i have to choose what i want to do next year now. I would really rather not start a BTEC because that means an extra year of college when i should be in uni. I spoke with my art tutor today about my options and she said i may be able to get on to a UAL foundation art and design diploma at my college. This would be ideal, but i have concerns.
1. do they allow 17 year olds on foundation diplomas?
2. my uni choice requires 112 ucas points but i have no idea what i'd have to get in a foundation diploma to get those point as i don't know the foundation diploma grading equivalents of ucas points. So, could i get into university with just 3 AS levels and a foundation diploma? help!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artthalia)
I am in my AS year of A levels but i have decided that A levels are just not for me, so i have to choose what i want to do next year now. I would really rather not start a BTEC because that means an extra year of college when i should be in uni. I spoke with my art tutor today about my options and she said i may be able to get on to a UAL foundation art and design diploma at my college. This would be ideal, but i have concerns.
1. do they allow 17 year olds on foundation diplomas?
2. my uni choice requires 112 ucas points but i have no idea what i'd have to get in a foundation diploma to get those point as i don't know the foundation diploma grading equivalents of ucas points. So, could i get into university with just 3 AS levels and a foundation diploma? help!
1. That's down to the college. Most FAD courses ask for 2 A levels for entry so the question isn't about your age but about whether they'll admit you with less than the normal requirements.

2. A Distinction at UAL FAD is 84 tariff points, a Merit is 60 and a Pass is 36 - so ideally you'd need an additional 76 tariff points from your AS levels to be guaranteed to meet a 112 point entry requirement (that would need 3 A grades and 1 B grade).

FAD courses are designed to bridge the gap between A levels and university study - they're not an A level alternative. If you took an Extended diploma (either BTEC of UAL) then you'd be spending the exact same amount of time in college as the majority of Art degree applicants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19