The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what would your thoughts be if a child living in the slums told u how jelous of you they were?
I am not going to sugarcoat this. The fact is, you will constantly be jealous of her and people like her till the day you reach or surpass their level. The only way to stop being jealous of the rich is to BE RICH YOURSELF. Anyone who tells you to look at the positive side of things is just feeding you delusions, and you don't want that. What you want, is to take a hard look at your reality, understand that it is not your fault because you can't control who to be born to, and grind your way through.What you are feeling now is not all that bad. It shows that you are unsatisfied with how things are and that shows the potential for progress. When you get there, you can be proud of yourself being a self-made man, which proves you are better than them since you received no help. I hope this helps =)
Original post by maple_eye132
I am not going to sugarcoat this. The fact is, you will constantly be jealous of her and people like her till the day you reach or surpass their level. The only way to stop being jealous of the rich is to BE RICH YOURSELF. Anyone who tells you to look at the positive side of things is just feeding you delusions, and you don't want that. What you want, is to take a hard look at your reality, understand that it is not your fault because you can't control who to be born to, and grind your way through.What you are feeling now is not all that bad. It shows that you are unsatisfied with how things are and that shows the potential for progress. When you get there, you can be proud of yourself being a self-made man, which proves you are better than them since you received no help. I hope this helps =)

When i started out in engineering, i had nothing but a 22 yr old rusty car + enthusiasm. I started out eating out of dumpsters [so did many rock stars btw]. Now, i own 2 houses & just got back from a vaccy in Puerto Rico. All done with hard work & working in places where nobody else wanted to go - hence they paid me $$$$$$ to go there. The vast majority of us get what we've got by hard work and denying ourselves in the moment to get long term gains. A bit of conservative investments (like the other commenter proposed helps too. Cheers.
So your saying that all children who grow up under rich parents don't have integrity or worth?
Original post by shivsaransh1
So your saying that all children who grow up under rich parents don't have integrity or worth?

IMHO, the cards are stacked against them from the outset. Most of them never have to work for anything, and they get the idea that everything is easy & that they are entitled to it (for some reason). If you do a brief study of families where one generation made most of the money - you find that they go from rags - to riches - to rags. One generation makes all the money, and the descendants cannot be bothered following their example, but employ themselves in spending and dissipating the money as rapidly as possible. A counter example i can recall, is the son of a General Motors executive. His son (teen aged) was DESPERATE for a car, so his dad agreed to get him one for his birthday. Come birthday morning, the son was invited to look at his new car (in the garage). It was a 3 car garage, and the new car filled it completely. It was in parts - all of them. The son had to assemble it - engine, transmission, differential and all!! What's more, his 'rents wouldn't let the kid buy his own - he had to assemble the 'parts car' if he wanted a car. Eventually the kid succeeded - and he later said that he learned a LOT about the automotive business by doing so.
Original post by Rabbit2
IMHO, the cards are stacked against them from the outset. Most of them never have to work for anything, and they get the idea that everything is easy & that they are entitled to it (for some reason). If you do a brief study of families where one generation made most of the money - you find that they go from rags - to riches - to rags. One generation makes all the money, and the descendants cannot be bothered following their example, but employ themselves in spending and dissipating the money as rapidly as possible. A counter example i can recall, is the son of a General Motors executive. His son (teen aged) was DESPERATE for a car, so his dad agreed to get him one for his birthday. Come birthday morning, the son was invited to look at his new car (in the garage). It was a 3 car garage, and the new car filled it completely. It was in parts - all of them. The son had to assemble it - engine, transmission, differential and all!! What's more, his 'rents wouldn't let the kid buy his own - he had to assemble the 'parts car' if he wanted a car. Eventually the kid succeeded - and he later said that he learned a LOT about the automotive business by doing so.

I disagree with you.
It is a minority of wealthy parents that spoil their children to the point of creating an idiotic mini despot or entitled jerk.
Most do not demonstrate an entitled, egotistical or vicious mindset as a template for later generations to learn from and imitate.

Just as many single parents who raise their children on low incomes where they have to work long hours don't demonstrate a vicious, entitled or criminal mindset.
Instead choosing to do the best that they can as parents and also encouraging their children to better their own circumstances by working hard & taking advantage of every possible opportunity to increase their skillset in pursuit of achieving the maximum academic/career success possible.
Original post by Rabbit2

My parents are wealthy and I have had to work for almost everything I have. No phone till I was 14. No recreational activities till I finished all my chores. I have to cook all my food even though we have a maid. My parents have made me and my brother fly coach since I was a kid while they fly first and were better for it. Only a few parents spoil their kids and those are the ones you see on social media platforms and so it seems as if the majority of privileged kids are spoilt and don't work for anything which isn't the case. My parents have flat out told me that they wont take care of me or my brother after we finish university and we respect that decision. So I don't get the animosity towards wealthy kids.
Original post by shivsaransh1
My parents are wealthy and I have had to work for almost everything I have. No phone till I was 14. No recreational activities till I finished all my chores. I have to cook all my food even though we have a maid. My parents have made me and my brother fly coach since I was a kid while they fly first and were better for it. Only a few parents spoil their kids and those are the ones you see on social media platforms and so it seems as if the majority of privileged kids are spoilt and don't work for anything which isn't the case. My parents have flat out told me that they wont take care of me or my brother after we finish university and we respect that decision. So I don't get the animosity towards wealthy kids.

One possible advantage to flying coach (closer toward the rear of the plane), is that statistically, your survival rate is better. You are later to arrive at the scene of the crash. The pilots are the first. Cheers.
Original post by Anonymous
To be more specific, I'm extremely jealous of young people who get to live a privileged lifestyle because their parents are rich. I have no problem or jealousy with people who are self-made. If you were a working class man and worked hard and are now rich, I'm not jealous of you. But in

However, I find myself often being extremely jealous of other people my age (I'm 20) or around my age who get to live such a privileged lifestyle :frown:
It actually upsets me. In recent months this jealousy has grown more since my girlfriend for a year is the opposite of me. This was when my jealousy began. After getting to know her I just realised how lucky she was, she gets to holiday in fancy islands and other places twice a year, she gets to have her own room to herself, she went to a private school, her parents pay for her uni accommodation, she doesn't have to work a job, she's goes to fancy dinners with her family at least two to three times a week, she's literally not had to worry about anything her own life. I'm someone who grew up on a council estate and I've been working since the age of 16 till present. I've been on one holiday my whole life, I worked at McDonalds while doing Alevels, I wanted to move out for uni but I couldn't afford it since I didn't have the parents support unlike her, I never get to go out on fancy dinners. It just all makes me very jealous. Her family runs a business which she says she has no plans to inherit but I reckon she probably will want to since her degree isn't very lucrative at all. But even if she doesn't inherit the business, she will still inherit a lot of her parents money which she can use to pay for a house desposit if she wanted to. And all these thoughts just make me so jealous of not just her, but all rich kids who get to live a privileged lifestyle

I am very jealous too. They get to be rich and me poor. But theres nothing I can do. They're lucky . Luck from the universe
Original post by Anonymous
I am very jealous too. They get to be rich and me poor. But theres nothing I can do. They're lucky . Luck from the universe

I went to school in a suburb of Washington,D.C. In my classes were about a dozen very well off families - mainly lawyers and stockbrokers. They had small 'farmettes - barn with horses,etc. Meanwhile, i was mowing lawns and delivering newspapers for spending money. I decided that i was going to go into a career that paid well, so that i could enjoy myself when i became older. Me 'rents never went to uni, but i did, and managed to get a bachelor's degree in engineering, and later a masWhen ter's degree in it too. I got a job after graduation that let me travel overseas, and make a decent salary. Now, altho i'm not 'filthy rich', i own 2 houses, have a reasonable amount of money in the bank, and a reasonable investment portfolio. I have been careful over the years to not waste my money. When i got a couple thousand ahead, i would buy what i thought was a conservative stock. Over the years, my choices have proven out fairly well. I fix my own cars and houses, and occasionally 'dumpster dive' - more for enjoyment than pure necessity.
I understand where you are coming from but to be honest there is no point in being jealous, all it will do will bring you down. As the famous saying goes "don't get mad, get even".
You must be one of the privileged who tell themselves they deserve their lucky draw in life. Probably a conservative republican.
Original post by Juvilation
don't be, its scientifically proven that all rich people are junkies

Whats wrong with being a junkie?

Latest

Trending

Trending