The Student Room Group

Extremely jealous of rich people, help?

To be more specific, I'm extremely jealous of young people who get to live a privileged lifestyle because their parents are rich. I have no problem or jealousy with people who are self-made. If you were a working class man and worked hard and are now rich, I'm not jealous of you. But in

However, I find myself often being extremely jealous of other people my age (I'm 20) or around my age who get to live such a privileged lifestyle :frown:
It actually upsets me. In recent months this jealousy has grown more since my girlfriend for a year is the opposite of me. This was when my jealousy began. After getting to know her I just realised how lucky she was, she gets to holiday in fancy islands and other places twice a year, she gets to have her own room to herself, she went to a private school, her parents pay for her uni accommodation, she doesn't have to work a job, she's goes to fancy dinners with her family at least two to three times a week, she's literally not had to worry about anything her own life. I'm someone who grew up on a council estate and I've been working since the age of 16 till present. I've been on one holiday my whole life, I worked at McDonalds while doing Alevels, I wanted to move out for uni but I couldn't afford it since I didn't have the parents support unlike her, I never get to go out on fancy dinners. It just all makes me very jealous. Her family runs a business which she says she has no plans to inherit but I reckon she probably will want to since her degree isn't very lucrative at all. But even if she doesn't inherit the business, she will still inherit a lot of her parents money which she can use to pay for a house desposit if she wanted to. And all these thoughts just make me so jealous of not just her, but all rich kids who get to live a privileged lifestyle

Scroll to see replies

Just realise that at some point in their family tree one person was a "self made" person, and If you were wealthy would you not want to ensure your kids get the "best" life you can?
Reply 2
Don't stress, everyone wishes they could be like that.
Original post by Anonymous
To be more specific, I'm extremely jealous of young people who get to live a privileged lifestyle because their parents are rich. I have no problem or jealousy with people who are self-made. If you were a working class man and worked hard and are now rich, I'm not jealous of you. But in

However, I find myself often being extremely jealous of other people my age (I'm 20) or around my age who get to live such a privileged lifestyle :frown:
It actually upsets me. In recent months this jealousy has grown more since my girlfriend for a year is the opposite of me. This was when my jealousy began. After getting to know her I just realised how lucky she was, she gets to holiday in fancy islands and other places twice a year, she gets to have her own room to herself, she went to a private school, her parents pay for her uni accommodation, she doesn't have to work a job, she's goes to fancy dinners with her family at least two to three times a week, she's literally not had to worry about anything her own life. I'm someone who grew up on a council estate and I've been working since the age of 16 till present. I've been on one holiday my whole life, I worked at McDonalds while doing Alevels, I wanted to move out for uni but I couldn't afford it since I didn't have the parents support unlike her, I never get to go out on fancy dinners. It just all makes me very jealous. Her family runs a business which she says she has no plans to inherit but I reckon she probably will want to since her degree isn't very lucrative at all. But even if she doesn't inherit the business, she will still inherit a lot of her parents money which she can use to pay for a house desposit if she wanted to. And all these thoughts just make me so jealous of not just her, but all rich kids who get to live a privileged lifestyle

1.Where does the jealousy get you,except it will eat you up.
2.It wont be long before your gf notices and it eventually break you.
3.Work harder for your own money.
Although this lifestyle you think is a "dream" its not. You'll constantly live in the shadow of your parents. That money will never really be yours because it was your PARENTS who worked hard. Theres nothing worse than this lol
Reply 5
Let's just all be communists and share everything. 😜 In fact life is unfair, and there are something we don't have the abilities to change. All you can do is to work hard and make your children someone other kids will be jealous of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound stereotypically British

You know, I'm extremely jealous of the poor, not knowing what it's like to grow up with everything, nice holidays in summer and winter, lovely restaurants that cost no less than £150 per head, living in a house that is so large you get lost going from one wing to the next and all the financial support I get from my parents.

I wish I grew up dirt poor, I wouldn't have to worry about which bottle of champagne I shall open for my breakfast meal of caviar and salmon or have to worry about where I holiday next although my most pressing decision is which car to buy, a Maybach or a Rolls? It's a hard life :frown:

I feel you! I don't get jealous, but the privilege frustrates me! And it gets worse at university, as you seem even more privileged people there.

HOWEVER, I'm at peace with it because I have come to realise what my life has taught me and how it's made me who I am - and made them who they are - and i would not change that for the world. For example, I feel like my struggles with money and abuse at home have helped me reach out to others including the homeless and volunteer. It has really underlined my passions and I am so grateful for what I've learned. I think the way my experiences have moulded me have also led me to only accept friends who are awesome - not those who will use you etc. Thus, I'm pretty blessed with the people in my life right now.

Also, now I've worked hard and i'm starting to be one of those people who can afford to go on annual holidays etc. But i still learned those life lessons and it was so worth it!!
how about you stop being jealous.

As a 17 year old who sounds similar to the girl you describe above, let me say a few things.

Don't be jealous of her or her parents, yes she has it easier than most and you feel jealous because she can do things that you can't despite the fact you're working and doing your best, I can imagine this is very frustrating... I would feel the same way.

Instead use her lifestyle as motivation for your own success, say to yourself "I want to be able to do those things" and if you turn that jealousy into ambition you will get much further in life. I think jealously ultimately causes people to become bitter and causes resentment towards people for no other reason other than because they have money.

I know it's easy for someone in a position of money to say these kinds of things but seriously if me and my family were broke and I saw rich people living an awesome life, I'd be so motivated by it that I'd do everything to prove to myself that I too can have that if I try hard enough.

I hoped this helped in some small way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why? They may seem happy now but after 25 they will feel useless as everything was handed to them. Work hard and earn your own money and you'll be much more content.
I have had a somewhat secure life financially, I won't ever have to worry about a mortgage as I own my property outright - my parents purchased it for me.

They have their businesses which I kind of am a part of.

However I will tell you one thing, people in this position often are depressed in one way or another. Trust me, what you have is something greater. Opportunity, where as people like my self often face mental struggles and pressures that people like you are free of.
Reply 13
Original post by years101
Although this lifestyle you think is a "dream" its not. You'll constantly live in the shadow of your parents. That money will never really be yours because it was your PARENTS who worked hard. Theres nothing worse than this lol

I don't agree. Why are you supposing the parents worked hard, can't the money come from some distant and nearly forgotten aristocratic ancestor? You don't necessarily live in their shadow, you might achieve something yourself in another field or successfully carry on the family's tradition. Finally, I consider the money my parents give me mine and have no problem with the fact that I didn't personally earn them (actually, the older they are, the better it is!:tongue:). No, having money from parents is not the worst thing in the world.

However, as anonymous #2 said, pressures, mental struggles and depression are often a thing.

@OP, you should really get over it and drop the jealously. First of all, people you consider privileged will themselves be "poorer" than those with 9/10-digit wealth. We might have boats and travel business class, but these kids have the biggest yachts, fly on private jets, etc. Shall we really care? There's more than wealth to a person (education, talent, class, intelligence, sports, hobbies, interests, values, personality, looks). Whenever I see a richer peer I ask myself: Yeah but 1)Is he more old money/classier? 2)Is he more educated? 3)Does he go to a better uni/have better grades? 4)Is he better looking? 5)Does he have a more interesting personality? 6)Is he better at [insert sport/talent]. If most of these conditions are satisfied, then he/she must be a very cool boy/girl and I'd like him/her as a friend (or partner, which was your case). Take @AishaGirl, who claims to have some money, yet provokes no envy for a set of evident reasons.
Furthermore, think about all those people who are less lucky than you and have a hard time finding food and shelter.
Lastly, Humanity remembers Horace more enthusiastically than Crassus.

This said, if you really care deeply, work hard in some remunerative field and make that money for yourself, and your children.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
Just realise that at some point in their family tree one person was a "self made" person, and If you were wealthy would you not want to ensure your kids get the "best" life you can?

That's the thing, I already realise what you've said but I still can't help being jealous.

I suppose when I think about it I would want my kids to live the best life, but I would make a conscious effort for them not to live a privileged lifestyle if you know what I mean? As in yes they will be clothed, fed, and taken care of but I probably would refrain from leaving behind any of my wealth for them.

Original post by 999tigger
1.Where does the jealousy get you,except it will eat you up.
2.It wont be long before your gf notices and it eventually break you.
3.Work harder for your own money.

1. quite right, I'm consciously aware of the fact that I'm jealous but I can't seem to improve
2. she doesn't notice it since I don't ever mention anything, and I never plan to because I consciously realise that what I experience is jealousy.
3. Absolutely true, being poor has motivated me my whole life. I worked hard to get straight A*/A grades at a-levels and I was the only one on free school meals who did that ever in the school's history. But it still feels like I have a longer ladder to climb as opposed to children who are born in rich families and whose parents have the contacts required for their kids to get what they want. Take a look at this: https://brightside.me/article/what-you-should-think-about-before-you-judge-others-10155/?guruwa

Original post by Yaboi
Don't stress, everyone wishes they could be like that.

Indeed!

That can't be worse than feeling the complete opposite

Original post by AQiiii
Let's just all be communists and share everything. 😜 In fact life is unfair, and there are something we don't have the abilities to change. All you can do is to work hard and make your children someone other kids will be jealous of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely there must be a parenting style that can enable parents to bring up their children in a more humble way

Original post by alexschmalex
You sound stereotypically British

I'm an ethnic minority
Original post by PandaSal
You know, I'm extremely jealous of the poor, not knowing what it's like to grow up with everything, nice holidays in summer and winter, lovely restaurants that cost no less than £150 per head, living in a house that is so large you get lost going from one wing to the next and all the financial support I get from my parents.

I wish I grew up dirt poor, I wouldn't have to worry about which bottle of champagne I shall open for my breakfast meal of caviar and salmon or have to worry about where I holiday next although my most pressing decision is which car to buy, a Maybach or a Rolls? It's a hard life :frown:

hahaha
Well its good to be jealous becuase that means that you have incentive and therefore the capacity for initiative.

My question to you is: have you attempted to do even one thing to make you money?

You will never become rich if you're working and it doesn't happen at once. Its a series of events rather than one event like winning the lottery; a lot of people seem to think this is how you become rich.

Start a business even its a basic one that doesn't make money at the start. I have saved about £2000 and am 19 in uni. I have bought all the raw materials to start mine.

Tl;dr: IF YOU WANT SOMETHING GRAB IT BY THE ****ING BALLS AND DO IT

I agree with this, think of it like playing a game. It would be boring if you started everything and didn't grind for anything.

also people who just have everything handed to them are constantly reminded of it till they die or become broke, they'll always be known as *insert parents name*'s son or daughter and never for themselves, not exactly a nice feeling.
There is always somebody worse off than you.
I was born middle class but saw my father and uncles become millionaires for independent reasons (banking, tech, law) throughout my teens.
The physical comfort is nice, but I can say that now as a young adult I have an exceedingly hard task ahead of me if I want to make myself a space in the world and be respected. This has made some of my cousins to become complacent and depressed, and others went on to other pursuits like academia or politics.
I would (will) definitely trade fancy dinners and trips for the chance to live an upper middle class lifestyle but be respected for what I earned myself.

Latest