The Student Room Group

How do you calculate your average for one semester?

Hi,

I'm in my second year and I wanted to see what grade I had overall for my first semester. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Rumbler101
Hi,

I'm in my second year and I wanted to see what grade I had overall for my first semester. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks.

It depends on what the weightings are for each module you did. You take an average of all the scores in the year (add double modules twice), divide by the total number of modules (double modules count twice) and you'll get your average. To find how it contributes to your total degree, divide by 100 and multiply by the % that your first year counts towards the final grade.
Reply 2
So the weightings are the credits or what? My first year didn't count at all.

I had 48% in one module, 68% in another, 52% in another and 52% in another. Each module is worth 15 credits. The other four this year in the new semester is still 15 which is a total of 120 credits for this year.

I did: ((15 * 0.48) + (15 * 0.52) + (15 * 0.68) + (15 * 0.52)) / 60 = 0.55 = 55% (first semester average).

My second year counts 30% towards my degree, so for the first semester I did (0.15 for just the first semester):
0.55 / 1 x 0.15 = 0.0825 = 8.25%.
Move decimal places over to the right twice which gives 8.25% towards my degree so far.

Is that right? For next semester I would do the same thing again and just add the overall percentage from the first semester with the overall percentage from the second semester, yeah?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending