Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So who smokes? Yes you guessed it, it's late, and i'm bored. What are your opinions on said activity?

ReputationRep:
    personally, i only tried it when i was quite young, and i thought it tasted pretty ****... so i didn't have any more!

ReputationRep:
    It is a filthy habit but I do still do it. I blame the tax policies of the German Federal government for encouraging my addiction. Also it is sociable to smoke in Germany. Shame I now live in the UK though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt.berlin)
    It is a filthy habit but I do still do it. I blame the tax policies of the German Federal government for encouraging my addiction. Also it is sociable to smoke in Germany. Shame I now live in the UK though.
    yep, the Bundesregierung has a lot to answer for. And yes, smoking is noticably more acceptable in Germany than Great Britain

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think I am going to bring some cheap Polish cigarettes up to Durham to get me through the initial party season (it's when drinking that I most want to smoke). Shall try to wean myself off them slowly as I cannot afford UK prices. Fortunately I am not smoking much at the moment. Nothing like the 20 a day I was on at one point in Berlin.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking disgusting. All people who smoke are stupid. My aunt smoked too much and now she's dead. And that is what will happen to all people who smoke.

Hopefully the government will stop talking about it and finally ban smoking in public. Nothing is more disgusting than being in a pub, club or restaurant and having arrogant ********s smoking in your face.

ReputationRep:
    smoking is a disgrace.

its a poor mans game, personally i only touch cigars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Smoking disgusting. All people who smoke are stupid. My aunt smoked too much and now she's dead. And that is what will happen to all people who smoke.

Hopefully the government will stop talking about it and finally ban smoking in public. Nothing is more disgusting than being in a pub, club or restaurant and having arrogant ********s smoking in your face.
    i agree that smoking in public should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I would be in favour of banning smoking in public. One of the hardest things about trying to quit in Germany is the fact that smoking is always around you, wherever you are, so you can never isolate yourself from it. I don't think it is good, nor clever. But I am addicted and what can I say. Addiction makes you act selfishly.

ReputationRep:
    The Undie is no-smoking. It was voted for at a poorly-attended JCR meeting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    smoking is a disgrace.

its a poor mans game, personally i only touch cigars.

Lol....*ahem*...and what is it you, err...do with these cigars then, may I ask? *grin*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardinal)
    The Undie is no-smoking. It was voted for at a poorly-attended JCR meeting...
    The opposite has happened in Trevs. Its no-smoking in the rooms, but it is allowed in the bar. If that makes the bar unbearable, then I could see a total ban being introduced soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    Lol....*ahem*...and what is it you, err...do with these cigars then, may I ask? *grin*
    This is endorf... so proberbly best not to ask!

I don't smoke, and would be happier if it were banned in public places, especially train stations, because I always find the stations are full of people smoking round here.

ReputationRep:
    Afraid to say it, I do. I would like to see it banned in public though because I want to quit (haven't had a cigarette in....2 weeks! go me!) and I really do want to have a tab more often when I'm goin out drinking and i only drink in public for the main.

And i think endorf was talking about smoking cigarettes, not in general ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke, coz' any form of smoke makes me cough violently and feel really sick.

But cigs here are really cheap so lots of people smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    I don't know what endorf does with them, and frankly I don't want to know. I just hope its not scandalous enough to get a president impeached......

ReputationRep:
    I dont smoke but more and more of my friends are. Again I think it should be banned in public places...i mean i live in london and it seems everywhere i go its smoke and pollution, i hate to think of the state of my lungs! My mum used to smoke, well on and off really, since i was 10 (she started at 13 but gave up for 11 years while i was growing up). I appreciate how hard it is to give up, and i wouldnt hold anything against a person who did. My nan died from cancer due to smoking when my dad was young so i never met her. Its a bad habit and i hope one day it will end, and i think that the UK is doing well and is providing a lot of information and support.

My addiction is caffiene, but its better than sum drugs!

ReputationRep:
    At least caffeine doesn't kill you .

But seriously people that smoke really need to get a grip on the situation, they are voluntarily inhaling the combustion products of a burning leaf. I mean thats like standing over a bonfire and inhaling the smoke, it isn't going to be good for you no matter how good it makes you feel.

ReputationRep:
    Its probably worse than a bonfire, i mean the rubbish u get in it. I remember reading a list of sum of the things, like it has chemicals which are 1)insect poison 2)the gas they used on the Jewish 3)rat poison 4)paint fumes

actually my mate (who is almost identical to Valen) decided to eat a cigerette once, along with sum of my eye makeup remover. Needless to say he threw the whole lot up! Had it stayed in his system i reckon it cd have klled him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    Its probably worse than a bonfire, i mean the rubbish u get in it. I remember reading a list of sum of the things, like it has chemicals which are 1)insect poison 2)the gas they used on the Jewish 3)rat poison 4)paint fumes

actually my mate (who is almost identical to Valen) decided to eat a cigerette once, along with sum of my eye makeup remover. Needless to say he threw the whole lot up! Had it stayed in his system i reckon it cd have klled him!
    According to this site http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact12.html there is Hydrogen Cyanide produced in Tobacco smoke, commonly known as just Cyanide Gas.

I remember reading somewhere that there was detectable levels of Arsenic as well, but its not listed on the site I linked to.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.