Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey fellow 'proud to be at durham, oxford reject'

how's it going?

ReputationRep:
    It's going well. First year was great fun, you'll all enjoy it at Durham.

ReputationRep:
    your at hildbede aren't u?

ReputationRep:
    not really sure how to reply.. spoke when im drinking but thats it n also thats not always.. think i should just stop altogethor though.. hummm thinking xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceAS)
    your at hildbede aren't u?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    is that a pic of a star wars character next to your name?

ReputationRep:
    I got over the whole Oxford rejection thing in just before Christmas when they sent me a letter saying : "sorry, you're too SH one tickety-tom to be on this course, try somewhere else, we don't like northeners round here"

So I'm dead excited by the prospect of Durham and just can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    i just dead excited by the prospect of having something to do with my days other than wandering round the house rearranging my sock collection and then spending the evening talking to people on the net...not that you are not all lovely but i'd rather be down the pub with you all than sat alone at my machine tapping away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceAS)
    is that a pic of a star wars character next to your name?
    Er yes it is. It is a bit of a running joke on another forum I visit. Something to do with beards, and that pic was the best picture I could find to describe a certain kind of beard... it's a long story, but I decided to use it as my avatar .

ReputationRep:
    No i don't smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    No i don't smoke.
    Out of interest...was it you who said they lived near sutton on another thread?? If it was...which school did you go to then?? If it wasn't...ignore me

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Out of interest...was it you who said they lived near sutton on another thread?? If it was...which school did you go to then?? If it wasn't...ignore me

G
    Yeah it was me! I went to Wallington Girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    Yeah it was me! I went to Wallington Girls.
    Ah cool...i went to tiffin with Valen, but i live in North Cheam, so sutton is pretty close to me . Don't know anyone who went to Wallington girls though.

G

ReputationRep:
    So dave, are u glad u ended up at Durham over cambridge?

Actually there is free help for people wanting to get off smoking. U know if u ring the NHS Stop Smoking Helpline? Well they send u to a course, you go once a week with fellow smokers, discuss smoking, ur shown promotional material and dead peoples lungs, and then at the end u have a 'smoking buddy' (sumone from the group) who u ring and who rings u with support to keep u not smoking. Then u have a little reunion in 6 months...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    So dave, are u glad u ended up at Durham over cambridge?

Actually there is free help for people wanting to get off smoking. U know if u ring the NHS Stop Smoking Helpline? Well they send u to a course, you go once a week with fellow smokers, discuss smoking, ur shown promotional material and dead peoples lungs, and then at the end u have a 'smoking buddy' (sumone from the group) who u ring and who rings u with support to keep u not smoking. Then u have a little reunion in 6 months...
    Most definitely. Whether I would have felt the same if I had gone to Cambridge I don't know. I think that the majority of people love their Uni and college, whether its their 1st choice, insurance, or place found through clearing.

A good example of this is how low the application rate to St Marys was, compared to how people felt once they got there. Marys has a large number of students who get assigned there if their first choice college is full, but nearly everyone there loves the place. The same applys to Universities in general.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, personally I don't smoke but then again I don't knock people for smoking! It's a personal choice whether you smoke or not and more and more places nowadays are banning smoking so if you are a smoker, you will have to smoke with other smokers! My nan also died from smoking and seeing my dad trying to quit....I can appreciate just how damn hard it is! to quit that is! So, at the end of the day I don't like smoking, but the smoke from cigarettes is just one of those things that you will have to put up with! Personally, I'm not going to stop going out clubbing (which i love doing ) just because people smoke there!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clint553)
    Hey guys, personally I don't smoke but then again I don't knock people for smoking! It's a personal choice whether you smoke or not and more and more places nowadays are banning smoking so if you are a smoker, you will have to smoke with other smokers! My nan also died from smoking and seeing my dad trying to quit....I can appreciate just how damn hard it is! to quit that is! So, at the end of the day I don't like smoking, but the smoke from cigarettes is just one of those things that you will have to put up with! Personally, I'm not going to stop going out clubbing (which i love doing ) just because people smoke there!

Thanks
    Hmmm....yeah, seeing your parents trying to give up smoking does make you appreciate how hard it is to quit, but to be honest, that has made me hate smoking all the more. I mean, what do I care if I see a bunch of strangers smoking? That's their problem. None of my business. But when it's your own dad, and you're actually worried about his health, and scared when you see how out of breath he gets going up stairs, and have visions of amputated limbs fifteen years or so down the line...well, it makes it all a lot more real, and a lot more...well, scary.

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke myself, yet stoners seem to make up most of my friends, I've no real idea why they gravitate towards me

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.