The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am a third year medstudent at MU-Plovdiv, AMA.
Original post by Bullet Knuckle
I am a third year medstudent at MU-Plovdiv, AMA.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply - was just wondering if you could answer a few questions I have about the course and the university itself. I visited Plovdiv recently to see the university and was impressed as it seemed a lot better than the university in Sofia, hence, it seems the most probable university that I would attend if I were to study in Bulgaria.

Firstly, what is the standard of teaching like? When I asked some of the students there, they said that the resources are quite dated and you need to rely on your own revision to make up for any content missed - is this true? If so, would I need to buy my own books for the course or are the ones supplied by the university sufficient enough to pass the examinations?

Also, what's the general requirements to pass an exam(s) and how often are they taken - I assume, and am prepared to study a lot for the course, but would just like to know how many hours per week revision is required to attain a pass.

Finally, are there any changes you would make to you applying there (eg. applying via an agency, or choosing a different university to study at) based on your experience so far as a medical student?

Extremely sorry for all the questions - I just want to get a first-hand opinion from someone who's applied at Plovdiv-MU.

Thank you very much - and any information would be helpful. Again, sorry for the load of questions I just want to ensure this is the right decision for me.

Thank you!

Harris
Reply 3
hi,
sorry to but in but are you from the UK? Is it possible to get any form of student loan/funding to study in bulgaria?
Thanks
Original post by jenni:)
hi,
sorry to but in but are you from the UK? Is it possible to get any form of student loan/funding to study in bulgaria?
Thanks

No worries - from what I've heard, I don't think student loans are offered to international students. When speaking to some of the students at the university, they said that they no longer give funds/loans to students.

You can check on the websites of the universities and try contacting them if you want more info.

Thanks
& yes, I'm from the UK - currently in my final year of A-Level.
Reply 6
Original post by hxrrisali
No worries - from what I've heard, I don't think student loans are offered to international students. When speaking to some of the students at the university, they said that they no longer give funds/loans to students.

You can check on the websites of the universities and try contacting them if you want more info.

Thanks

Oh okay - thankyou so much!
Reply 7
Hi!
Ok so I know there's quite a few similar posts however I couldn't seem to find any for this years entry. I'm in Year 13 and I'm hoping to study Medicine in Bulgaria (MU-Sofia or Plovdiv Medical University). Was just wondering if anyone else is thinking of applying to these universities for this year?

Thanks

HI i am thinking myself to study medicine in bulgaria. dont know which agency to contact. is there any entrance test? thanks for any help.
Reply 8
Is anyone applying to do medicine at Trakia University in Bulgaria?
It should be very cheap for UK students, I don't think you should worry this much about that.
Original post by friiz1337
It should be very cheap for UK students, I don't think you should worry this much about that.

yea its 6000levs so...cheaper than uk
Reply 11
Original post by AlexaRivers
Hey have you decided to apply to Plovdiv and are you in that process? Because I've recently heard that they've only just introduced an enrolment/application fee of 200 euros that you have to pay the uni to be considered. I was wondering if you know whether that's true or a load of rubbish?

yep you have to pay to university some money. My advice is to use agency so you dont have to pay to uni
. I used and now i am in :smile: It is really cheap not so much
Hi!

Thanks for your reply - was just wondering if you could answer a few questions I have about the course and the university itself. I visited Plovdiv recently to see the university and was impressed as it seemed a lot better than the university in Sofia, hence, it seems the most probable university that I would attend if I were to study in Bulgaria.

Firstly, what is the standard of teaching like? When I asked some of the students there, they said that the resources are quite dated and you need to rely on your own revision to make up for any content missed - is this true? If so, would I need to buy my own books for the course or are the ones supplied by the university sufficient enough to pass the examinations?

Also, what's the general requirements to pass an exam(s) and how often are they taken - I assume, and am prepared to study a lot for the course, but would just like to know how many hours per week revision is required to attain a pass.

Finally, are there any changes you would make to you applying there (eg. applying via an agency, or choosing a different university to study at) based on your experience so far as a medical student?

Extremely sorry for all the questions - I just want to get a first-hand opinion from someone who's applied at Plovdiv-MU.

Thank you very much - and any information would be helpful. Again, sorry for the load of questions I just want to ensure this is the right decision for me.

Thank you!

Harris

Hey Sorry for the lateness

1 - standard of teaching - It's good satisfactory, but this varies with lots of different factors, i. whether or not you enjoy the subject, teachers/professors all vary in styles or teaching, level of command for the English language some been Excellent to some being poor and just reading the lecture in monotone. But it just like me asking hows the teaching at your school some are great others are alright.
Resources are usaully made by the head of dept who has included what they want you to know and therefore what you must know to pass the exam. Wider reading is up to you from traditional medical books.
Yes you would need to rely on your own revision, but tell me is they anyway where you don't need to revise ??? :biggrin: Yeh they are some must buy books in order to follow the practicals but these are from the uni often made by the dept so you are good.

2 - You must pass with minimun 60% which is a 3 (C/D)
"I assume, and am prepared to study a lot for the course, but would just like to know how many hours per week revision is required to attain a pass"
Good bring that motivation in your suitcase. But l can't possibly tell you how much you need to study loool After A Level you will reach a new maturity in your learning to be the master of your own learning, then you will be able to tell yourself how much work you need to pass or excel.

3 - things have changed since l applied, my agency Student world/outreach doesn't send students anymore. SME is the powerhouse dominating the market.
Just do whats best for you or your family, perhaps try applying direct to uni ?? Your all call tbh.

Yeh man just keep doing your research and decide whether or not its for you. if you wanna contact me more pm me .

Really hopes this helps or reassures you. :smile:
Original post by bs1
HI i am thinking myself to study medicine in bulgaria. dont know which agency to contact. is there any entrance test? thanks for any help.

Hi,

Extremely sorry for the late reply! I know that for Plovdiv and Varna, you have to sit a Biology/Chemistry test and get like a pass (you can find the resources on their websites - Varna: http://mu-varna.bg/EN/Admission/Pages/entry-test-new.aspx Plovdiv: http://mu-plovdiv.bg/en/admission/entry-tests-in-biology-and-chemistry/ )

In terms of agencies; I myself am applying directly to the university just because I've heard from a bunch of students that it's not worth spending so much money - however, I do know of SME (Study Medicine Europe) and Tutelage. I was originally planning to go with SME, for them, you just have to call them on their website and they'll get back to you with the costs and what they do.

Personally, from what I was told when I visited Plovdiv was; it's not required to apply through an agency (the admissions office staff also told me this) and you have the same chances of getting in if you apply directly yourself, as compared to applying via an agency. The only problem with applying yourself is you have to get your documents translated in Bulgarian and notorised (this takes a few weeks) which is done by sending off your documents (GCSE certificates, medical certificate etc).

Hope that helps - if you want any more info let me know :smile:

Again, very sorry for the late reply.

Harris
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RSen
Is anyone applying to do medicine at Trakia University in Bulgaria?

Hi,

sorry for the late reply - I myself am not applying to Trakia, however I know of two people who are in their first year and have said they liked it.
Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AlexaRivers
Hey have you decided to apply to Plovdiv and are you in that process? Because I've recently heard that they've only just introduced an enrolment/application fee of 200 euros that you have to pay the uni to be considered. I was wondering if you know whether that's true or a load of rubbish?

Hi, really sorry for being so late to reply.

Yes - I'm hoping to study at Plovdiv - I've found that the university is a lot better than Sofia-MU, and the city is quite nice too. The entry test was only just introduced this year - lucky us :frown: - apparently because they took in too many international students last year. The test comprises of a basic biology/chemistry examination. You can find the syllabus for each exam on the website, here's the link: http://mu-plovdiv.bg/en/admission/entry-tests-in-biology-and-chemistry/

There is a cost of 200 euros and it's non-refundable, but I think that's just the cost of the test itself to be honest. From what I've heard - the test isn't too hard either, like they've provided samples of each test to give you a feel of what it contains.

Hope that helps - if you need any more info, let me know :smile:

Again - so sorry for the late reply.

Harris
Reply 16
Hi!
Ok so I know there's quite a few similar posts however I couldn't seem to find any for this years entry. I'm in Year 13 and I'm hoping to study Medicine in Bulgaria (MU-Sofia or Plovdiv Medical University). Was just wondering if anyone else is thinking of applying to these universities for this year?

Thanks

yes I have got entry in to Plovdiv this year through tutalage
Reply 17
hi starting at Plovdiv this year for med in 2017. any one else starting this year
thanks.
Reply 18
sorry need to say that you have to pay 200 euros to uni and have to take a biology and a chemistry exam, you have to get over 62%.
Original post by Salooo
hi starting at Plovdiv this year for med in 2017. any one else starting this year
thanks.

Hi! I'm also applying to study Medicine at Plovdiv - hoping to sit the exam in September.
(edited 6 years ago)