The Student Room Group

Can you decline your firm and take a last minute gap year on results day?

help
Reply 1
Original post by robitussin
help

I guess once you firm a university, its basically like a contract, this means you have promised to start in September.... not sure whether you can decline
Reply 2
Yes you can. I did that and am currently taking a gap year, reapplying again. I emailed the uni on the day and apologised
Reply 3
Oh and I applied same uni same course this year and they gave me an offer :smile:
Original post by Rifdhy
Yes you can. I did that and am currently taking a gap year, reapplying again. I emailed the uni on the day and apologised

What did you do in your gap year? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ze Witcher
What did you do in your gap year? :smile:

Went on holiday for the first few months. Then main focus was with ucas, but also learnt arabic and python(bits) and now I currentl work at Three part time :smile:
Are you taking a gap year or planning to?
Reply 6
You can contact the university you have firmed and talk to them about your decision to take a gap year. However, I wouldn't really recommend a last minute gap year (not to say that I wouldn't recommend a gap year at all, just make sure you're making the right decision). Definitely research what you're wanting to do -> How you're going to fund it, job options etc.

Research some gap year projects, as well as think about what you'd want to do for the gap year. Is it a time of travelling, festivals and such? Or do you plan on building up more work experience and potentially getting in to a higher university (or making sure the course would be right for you)?

Perhaps start looking and applying for jobs in the few weeks before results day so you definitely have a job and some money coming in. Even if it's not a job you particularly want, even just stick with it for a while to get money in to ensure that you can afford all that you want to do in your gap year!

I'm currently on a gap year of sorts and working before I go to university this September. While I am still doing work, it's allowed me to get money to go to festivals (abroad and in the UK) and on holidays. Whereas when I didn't have a job for the first two months, I was stressing about applying for things and getting money coming in because I left applying for jobs too late, and realised that applying for jobs isn't always the easiest!
Original post by Rifdhy
Went on holiday for the first few months. Then main focus was with ucas, but also learnt arabic and python(bits) and now I currentl work at Three part time :smile:
Are you taking a gap year or planning to?

Sounds productive!
Yh I'm considering a Gap year -- I heard back from all my universities, but I don't know if I should do a Gap year -- I would get some relevant work experience, enjoy myself a bit and do some travelling also which would only be possible if I do a gap year, rather than having to wait 2-3 years of doing university. What made you sure 100% on your Gap year if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 8
Original post by Ze Witcher
Sounds productive!
Yh I'm considering a Gap year -- I heard back from all my universities, but I don't know if I should do a Gap year -- I would get some relevant work experience, enjoy myself a bit and do some travelling also which would only be possible if I do a gap year, rather than having to wait 2-3 years of doing university. What made you sure 100% on your Gap year if you don't mind me asking?

Well I guess I was unsure most of the time about taking a gap year. But I felt that firstly it would be a well deserved rest and woud make me feel refreshed for when uni starts. Also the opportunity to experience new things and also work - which i'm currently enjoying a lot. What finalised it for me was the fact that I was able to do it now and a few years down the line I may not get that opportunity again.
Looking back, I think it was a great decision. As long as you can keep yourself busy it's alright

Quick Reply

Latest