The Student Room Group

Why do some people think 'only children' are spoilt?

I'm an only child and I am definitely not spoilt
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I guess cause as kids me and my sister used to have to share everything growing up. We went on less holidays because there was 4 of us, I'd get quite a lot of her old clothes that she was done with.
My parents had to budget everything fairly, ie could they afford to pay for my driving lessons (my sister opted not to drive at the time) and give her something of equal value.
Even at uni we both get less loan because of the way student finance did our application.

If you're an only child it's likely (although not always) you'll be alot closer with your parents and you'll also get more toys (which are yours and no one elses), clothes which are yours to keep.
Having two or more children (Especially close in age as me and my sister are) is alot more expensive than having one so the money doesn't stretch quite as far
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
Well I guess cause as kids me and my sister used to have to share everything growing up. We went on less holidays because there was 4 of us, I'd get quite a lot of her old clothes that she was done with.
My parents had to budget everything fairly, ie could they afford to pay for my driving lessons (my sister opted not to drive at the time) and give her something of equal value.
Even at uni we both get less loan because of the way student finance did our application.

If you're an only child it's likely (although not always) you'll be alot closer with your parents and you'll also get more toys (which are yours and no one elses), clothes which are yours to keep.
Having two or more children (Especially close in age as me and my sister are) is alot more expensive than having one so the money doesn't stretch quite as far

I see where you're coming from but I never had much toys when I was a kid and my parents gave my old clothes to like family friends.
because we don't like sharing and are used to being the centre of attention
Original post by anonest
my parents gave my old clothes to like family friends.

Exactly...when you were done with them. Then you'd get new clothes which fit, most of the time i'd be in clothes which were 2 or 3 sizes too big which was when my sister grew out of them... like don't get me wrong my parents did still buy my clothes as well but the majority of stuff I had, toys, books, clothes, ect was all passed down from my sister

My sister and I (Bearing in mind theres two years between us) literally had to share everything apart from a room. If i wanted to play with the barbie when she had it, tough..

Also at times like christmas...when my sister got an ipod my parents had to make sure they spent the same amount on me..
Only children may not get everything they want but families with only children have more money than families that don't
I was an only child and I was spoilt 😆
Reply 6
Original post by anonest
I see where you're coming from but I never had much toys when I was a kid and my parents gave my old clothes to like family friends.

It's not really about money, it's about attention and learning from a young age that you are not the only person who matters.
Reply 7
Original post by Jackieox
Exactly...when you were done with them. Then you'd get new clothes which fit, most of the time i'd be in clothes which were 2 or 3 sizes too big which was when my sister grew out of them... like don't get me wrong my parents did still buy my clothes as well but the majority of stuff I had, toys, books, clothes, ect was all passed down from my sister

My sister and I (Bearing in mind theres two years between us) literally had to share everything apart from a room. If i wanted to play with the barbie when she had it, tough..

Also at times like christmas...when my sister got an ipod my parents had to make sure they spent the same amount on me..
Only children may not get everything they want but families with only children have more money than families that don't

I don't think it's fair to say families with only children have more money than families that don't. Lots of factors can affect this like the kind of job the parents have and I'm sure there are families out there that don't have only children but have more money than families with only children.

Some families choose to have one child because they know they won't be able to take care of multiple children. Also, it's not in every case an only child gets everything they want. Sometimes, it gives the parents an opportunity to not take proper care of their child.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
It's not really about money, it's about attention and learning from a young age that you are not the only person who matters.

Tbh I don't think I've ever felt like I'm the only person who matters but I guess there might be other only children out there that feel like that
Reply 9
Original post by Hirsty97
I was an only child and I was spoilt 😆

Soz can't relate
They 'tend' to be more spoilt because all of the attention was given to a single child rather than between two. The responsibility and expectations are larger but that comes in around teenage years which the spoilt children stick with that personality. Kids are more spoilt in wealthy families since they get more gifts monetarily and later on get better education's etc.
I got the label as 'spoilt' from my stepdad because I'm the only child and grandchild. My stepdad said just because my grandparents give me the odd tenner or £20 here and there to treat myself, I was an utter spoilt brat. What he refused to see was the dedication I have to my grandparents who are essentially my parents since they raised me and they are my life. I care for my papa who is on dialysis, I call them twice a day, see them nearly every day, take them to their doc appts, take them on days out, help them out with bills if I have the money, give them money as 'pocket money' to buy whatever they fancy if I can afford it but because I get help from my family when he didn't, I am nothing more than a spoilt brat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anonest
Tbh I don't think I've ever felt like I'm the only person who matters but I guess there might be other only children out there that feel like that

As a parent I've seen a big difference in how you treat a single child and then when you get 2 and then more than 2 (when you never have 1 adult to 1 child.) If there are multiple children then there has to be a lot of compromising going on in how you spend your time, what you get to eat and when you get noticed. I think it does make a difference. About the only piece of unasked for advice my mother has given me as an adult is not to marry an only child (which she did). Obviously, there are lots of factors that go into making personalities but I do think your childhood is a significant one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Spock's Socks
I got the label as 'spoilt' from my stepdad because I'm the only child and grandchild. My stepdad said just because my grandparents give me the odd tenner or £20 here and there to treat myself, I was an utter spoilt brat. What he refused to see was the dedication I have to my grandparents who are essentially my parents since they raised me and they are my life. I care for my papa who is on dialysis, I call them twice a day, see them nearly every day, take them to their doc appts, take them on days out, help them out with bills if I have the money, give them money as 'pocket money' to buy whatever they fancy if I can afford it but because I get help from my family when he didn't, I am nothing more than a spoilt brat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so sorry to hear that but it's so sweet the way you treat your grandparents.
Reply 14
Original post by Compost
As a parent I've seen a big difference in how you treat a single child and then when you get 2 and then more than 2 (when you never have 1 adult to 1 child.) If there are multiple children then there has to be a lot of compromising going on in how you spend your time, what you get to east and when you get noticed. I think it does make a difference. About the only piece of unasked for advice my mother has given me as an adult is not to marry an only child (which she did). Obviously, there are lots of factors that go into making personalities but I do think your childhood is a significant one.

I agree that your childhood is a significant one, it literally completes who you become.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending