Embarrassing problemo... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hiya,
this is kinda of a silly problem i have. basically, i'm 18 and i'm about to go to uni in Septemeber. Since i've been 11 i've been at an all girls school and so all of my good friends happen to be girls. Its not that i'm really shy or anything (and i'm really not! i'm actually really popular!) but i just find it really difficult to talk to boys. I'm just worried that i'll clam up when i go to uni. Also, the few boys that i do know are all complete arses and talk of nothing other than football and sex - both of which are topics i find a bit difficult to talk about at length!
anyway, i just need some advice on how to not be nervous, especially if they're good looking.

Ugh, how embarrassing!
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wish I could help you, but I have the same problem - whenever a girl speaks to me, my mind goes blank.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
hiya,
this is kinda of a silly problem i have. basically, i'm 18 and i'm about to go to uni in Septemeber. Since i've been 11 i've been at an all girls school and so all of my good friends happen to be girls. Its not that i'm really shy or anything (and i'm really not! i'm actually really popular!) but i just find it really difficult to talk to boys. I'm just worried that i'll clam up when i go to uni. Also, the few boys that i do know are all complete arses and talk of nothing other than football and sex - both of which are topics i find a bit difficult to talk about at length!
anyway, i just need some advice on how to not be nervous, especially if they're good looking.

Ugh, how embarrassing!

My opinion (for what its worth)...

If you are uncoftable around them, they will feel uncomfortable around you, so just relax and be yourself. Im sure that you will have plenty to talk about and you already have a something in common with everyone (you all freshers). I feel I should defend my sex and claim that most of us aren't obsessed with football and nookie but this would be a BIG lie so I won't...

If you do clam up then there is a simple solution!! It comes in bottles or glasses and is available from your union bar!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil)
I wish I could help you, but I have the same problem - whenever a girl speaks to me, my mind goes blank.
yeah that's what it is with me, i just have nothing to say! which is weird cos i'm really talkative!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
My opinion (for what its worth)...

If you are uncoftable around them, they will feel uncomfortable around you, so just relax and be yourself. Im sure that you will have plenty to talk about and you already have a something in common with everyone (you all freshers). I feel I should defend my sex and claim that most of us aren't obsessed with football and nookie but this would be a BIG lie so I won't...

If you do clam up then there is a simple solution!! It comes in bottles or glasses and is available from your union bar!!!

Yeah, i'm hoping the alcohol will help!
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, i'm hoping the alcohol will help!

Just think of your time at Uni as one long binge drinking session (with lectures inbetween) and you will be fine. If you want a good way to initiate conversation with a guy then just buy him a drink (no man can resist the charms of a girl carrying beer ) - I guarantee this will work!!!
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just think of your time at Uni as one long binge drinking session (with lectures inbetween) and you will be fine. If you want a good way to initiate conversation with a guy then just buy him a drink (no man can resist the charms of a girl carrying beer ) - I guarantee this will work!!!
i'm sure you'll be fine once you've settled in- just try and talk to them as you would a girl, obviously there are a few differences, lol, but they're not a completely different species. if you start chattin to a guy ask him the same kind of stuff you would a girl you don't know- where's he from, the course he's doing etc. you'll be fine, just don't stress! they really don't bite that often!

lou xxx
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i'm sure you'll be fine once you've settled in- just try and talk to them as you would a girl, obviously there are a few differences, lol, but they're not a completely different species. if you start chattin to a guy ask him the same kind of stuff you would a girl you don't know- where's he from, the course he's doing etc. you'll be fine, just don't stress! they really don't bite that often!

lou xxx

lou's right, I hardly ever bite anymore - unless you are REALLY nasty to me...
Bumblebee3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry - I'm guessing the blokes you've spoken to so far (sexsexfootballsexsexsexsex) are of the adolecent sort. Now I'm afraid the sex/football thing doesn't completely go away, but at uni you will find that the blokes have finally matured and will talk to you in a normal, relaxed and friendly way (not including Mechatronic systems engineers.) You will soon feel a lot more comfortable around them.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hiya,

Ugh, how embarrassing!
I have the same problem often, but have found that whenever I am somewhere where no1else knows me or my family, i relax more, and don't have the same problem, though Leekey's advice about having a drink to loosen up is good advice, though getting completely drunk isn't a good idea.

Phil
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)
I have the same problem often, but have found that whenever I am somewhere where no1else knows me or my family, i relax more, and don't have the same problem, though Leekey's advice about having a drink to loosen up is good advice, though getting completely drunk isn't a good idea.

Phil

Since when has not getting drunk not been a good idea? :confused: ? It will be freshers week and she could well be the ONLY sober person in the entire Uni (this includes the lecturers / staff etc..)!!!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lou's right, I hardly ever bite anymore - unless you are REALLY nasty to me...
As long as you have a tetanus jab you'll be fine. I'd do this before you go- if you wait to see if you are bitten, by the time it happens you'll be way to drunk to remember to go to casualty. If in doubt resort to vodka (but never with red bull *shudders at memories*)-it gives you tonnes of confidence + turns you into an amazing dancer (or at least a less self-conscious one).

lou xxx
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Since when has not getting drunk not been a good idea? :confused: ? It will be freshers week and she could well be the ONLY sober person in the entire Uni (this includes the lecturers / staff etc..)!!!
What I meant was that a drunk chick ain't exactly the most appealing thing in the world (at least in my opinion). Also, the problem is that if you're drunk, you think you're doing a lot better than you really are. This is mainly the case if you are drunk but the other person is sober.

Phil
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah but just make sure if you have had a bit to drink, and you get chatting to a bloke, that he is actually a student and not a lecturer!!! Just how embarrasing would it be to get off with someone and find the next morning that he will be your lecturer for the next year!!! Thats just not cool!!!
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
As long as you have a tetanus jab you'll be fine. I'd do this before you go- if you wait to see if you are bitten, by the time it happens you'll be way to drunk to remember to go to casualty. If in doubt resort to vodka (but never with red bull *shudders at memories*)-it gives you tonnes of confidence + turns you into an amazing dancer (or at least a less self-conscious one).

lou xxx

Unfortunately I have to wait a another year for my freshers (where ever I end up going) but I figure I can recreate the scene at a random local club aroun October time...

PS - I too am a great dancer when heavily drunk (great does mean funny, yes??) !!!!
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Yeah but just make sure if you have had a bit to drink, and you get chatting to a bloke, that he is actually a student and not a lecturer!!! Just how embarrasing would it be to get off with someone and find the next morning that he will be your lecturer for the next year!!! Thats just not cool!!!

We'll personally I think it would be a great advantage, you could blackmail the guy for a 1:1 in any degree course you fancy!!!

If you are a guy who has got off with a male lecturer I think you can also blackmail him for the key to his home and car aswell - would he want the shame of a sorded homosexual romp with a student on his record?!? Me thinks NOT!!
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)

Phil
I agree, when I do things on my own I'm less nervous cause I can feel I can be whoever I want and not be surrounded by past perceptions. You might find you get to uni and a totally different you will emerge. If not please don't completely rely on alcohol. Yes I'm an absolute hypocrite cause I've been there ( not that I remember most of it, that night I lost my shoe on the roof of the pub is a bit of a blur ) and done that. Its a hell of a lot nicer to meet and talk to nice people when sober. Plus completely wasted men and women are in no way attractive. God, I'm such a granny. I swear I hit 18 and decided that I wasn't needed to get wasted every friday night. Maybe I've matured. Nah, not possible. Anyway back to the issue. Just smile, talk and laugh.....and look beautiful. You'll have them falling at your feet.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i can't stand red bull. i dunno what i'm gonna do in my student years!
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
i can't stand red bull. i dunno what i'm gonna do in my student years!
My advice.....MAKE YOU OWN MAD COCKTAIL !!!!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

PS - I too am a great dancer when heavily drunk (great does mean funny, yes??) !!!!
I know exactly what ya mean. Like when i went on a cruise with my family, and found a really lame club, but was with a coupla people I'd met onboard, and was kinda pissed, and ended up dancing for 5 hours, whilst singing along loudly to all the songs, such as Dancing queen, Uptown girl, and even 50 cent and eminem. I was so passed it, I kept signing dancing queen with a mate even though the music had cut out.
Still I didn't really care, cause I was on hols and no1 else knew me.

Phil
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%