mellie99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've recently firmed St. Andrew's university, one of the deciding factors being that they classed my fee status as Home/EU and said that I would be eligible for the Scottish Government to pay for my tuition fees (which would be around £1820). This is because I hold an Irish citizenship as both my parents were born and raised in Ireland and never filed for British citizenship when they moved to London. I was born in London and have never lived anywhere else, and so never exercised the "right to settle" which is why when I rang SAAS, they told me I wasn't eligible for my tuition fees to be paid by them. I'm confused what to do now as the university and SAAS have contradicted one another and I'm terrified that if I try to apply through Student Finance England, I may end up with my tuition fees being £9250. The SAAS deadline is the 31st March so I'm also running out of time, what should I do?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mellie99)
I've recently firmed St. Andrew's university, one of the deciding factors being that they classed my fee status as Home/EU and said that I would be eligible for the Scottish Government to pay for my tuition fees (which would be around £1820). This is because I hold an Irish citizenship as both my parents were born and raised in Ireland and never filed for British citizenship when they moved to London. I was born in London and have never lived anywhere else, and so never exercised the "right to settle" which is why when I rang SAAS, they told me I wasn't eligible for my tuition fees to be paid by them. I'm confused what to do now as the university and SAAS have contradicted one another and I'm terrified that if I try to apply through Student Finance England, I may end up with my tuition fees being £9250. The SAAS deadline is the 31st March so I'm also running out of time, what should I do?
Don't trust an assessment made over the phone.

Apply to SAAS for your tuition fees.

At the same time apply to SFE as a back up and just tick the box to say "the amount of fees the university charges"...this shouldn't be more than they promised when they assessed you as Home/EU (Scotland).

If SAAS approve your application then you're sorted (and so cancel the SFE application). If they don't approve it then you should be fine using SFE - student support regulations are managed by SFE/SAAS, tuition fee status is decided by the university. If St Andrews have made you an offer for the Scottish/EU level tuition fees then that's they're decision regardless of what the SAAS say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads