Do uni students have to read alot of thick books? Watch

username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So Im currently doing a distance learning course aswell as self-studying a few things in the hopes I can improve my career prospects and either moveup the ranks at my current job (which seems unlikely due to political reasons) or preferably get in a new company. I have worked out I have around 6 thick books to read through which is going to take me forever. My GF says its nothing and she has to read 10x that amount of books for her degree and can do it with ease, she says its standard for uni students to read and digest 20+ books, surely she is exaggerating?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've read exactly one book in the 4 years of my uni career, and even then it was just a couple of chapters not the whole book. My lecture notes last semester condensed down to about 150 A4 pages and that's mostly because we had a module where the first years of accountancy and law were condensed into a 10 credit module.

I do engineering though and the situation is a bit different for biological sciences and arts.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Got Milk)
So Im currently doing a distance learning course aswell as self-studying a few things in the hopes I can improve my career prospects and either moveup the ranks at my current job (which seems unlikely due to political reasons) or preferably get in a new company. I have worked out I have around 6 thick books to read through which is going to take me forever. My GF says its nothing and she has to read 10x that amount of books for her degree and can do it with ease, she says its standard for uni students to read and digest 20+ books, surely she is exaggerating?

Posted from TSR Mobile
With may subjects, shorter journal articles are key reading, but these will still build on standard textbooks. Reading lists for my subject include both, but you can usually target chapters of books rather than reading them cover-to-cover in one go.

But yes, there should be a lot of reading. Just repeating lecture material in coursework or exams won't get you a good result. Uni is about independent learning. At its most basic, lecturers and teaching material direct you to what you need to learn, then you go away and learn it.

In my first year I had the luxury of one day a week without lectures, and that was my reading day. My target was to work through at least ten items on my various reading lists - hopefully more. After that year, my reading was mainly targeted on what I needed for coursework or exam prep.
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, doing a degree requires a lot of reading. Either through whole books or dozens upon dozens of research articles.

6 books should not take that long to read.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Got Milk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aside from the time I had to do a book review I never had to read an entire book- I just had to use the index to look up whichever aspects were most relevant to my next seminar or essay.
rempanda
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do distance learning too I'm at the open uni.

It depends on what you are studying. I study philosophy and religion, I also did a module on english lit. so I have to read a lot. I easily get through 2 or 3 books a week for my degree.

However, I started off with philosophy and psychology. If I had just done psychology there would have been a lot less reading of actual books. Though there was still a lot of reading but it was mainly articles from psych. journals and particular chapters from textbooks.

I would also stress the importance of not just reading what is on your list. I read at least one book a week extra that is related.

I would also point out that I love reading, so I do read a lot on top of what we're asked to do but even if I just read the required I would be reading at least 1 book a week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Do you give blood?