The Student Room Group

How would feminists respond to this? (Respond if you are a feminist)

We always hear about feminists arguing how women should be in more male dominated positions of power such as executives of boards, surgeons, doctors etc and I agree that more women should indeed be encouraged to do such jobs.

Howevever, why aren't the same feminists arguing that women should join other jobs which aren't as well payed such as cleaning sewers, butchers and binmen which are almost exclusively male dominated?

Just wondering how someone who would label themselves a feminist would respond to such an issue. Or whether it is even an issue at all...
Reply 1
Original post by TheTruthTeller
We always hear about feminists arguing how women should be in more male dominated positions of power such as executives of boards, surgeons, doctors etc and I agree that more women should indeed be encouraged to do such jobs.

Howevever, why aren't the same feminists arguing that women should join other jobs which aren't as well payed such as cleaning sewers, butchers and binmen which are almost exclusively male dominated?

Just wondering how someone who would label themselves a feminist would respond to such an issue. Or whether it is even an issue at all...

The whole idea of feminism is to be equal to men and every other gender, so in this sense you are correct.
But at the current moment, we are working towards the higher paying jobs because to encourage women to work in sewers seems to say the opposite of female empowerment.
It's like telling women that they should go and seek low-paying jobs. Do men get told to work that they should seek work in sewers and as binmen? No, so neither should women.

Don't you know the purpose of feminism? 'Equality when it suits women'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who knows?

But yes, in most areas of life it would be good to see a roughly equal mix of men and women.
Original post by SHallowvale
Who knows?

But yes, in most areas of life it would be good to see a roughly equal mix of men and women.

But would it, women are naturally better at men and vice versa (There are obvious exeptions)

The best people should be doing the jobs, if it happens that 90% of a boardroom is white males then so be it, if it happens that 90% of a boardroom is black women then so be it.
Jobs should be given out on a meritocratic basis, not whether you have a dick or not.

NB: am feminist.

By the way, lumping all feminists together as if we all believe in the exact same **** is ridiculous; there are many different branches of the movement, and a feminist that prefers intersectionality is unlikely to hold the same views as a rad-fem. So with that in mind, even if people who are feminists answer your query, you're unlikely to get an answer that is representative of the whole movement.
Original post by AperfectBalance
But would it, women are naturally better at men and vice versa (There are obvious exeptions)

The best people should be doing the jobs, if it happens that 90% of a boardroom is white males then so be it, if it happens that 90% of a boardroom is black women then so be it.

Jobs should be given to the best candidate(s) but in an equal world you should expect more representative outcomes in boardrooms, etc.

What jobs are men naturally better at and what jobs are women naturally better at?
i am delighted that the leader of our great nation is a lady. i am also glad that less prestigious roles such as Labor members of parliament are also being allocated to ladies as well.
Women aren't encouraged to enter the refuse collection industry in the same way no men are encouraged to enter refuse collection. I fail to see any school telling a student on career's day that becoming a binman was a good idea.

I think women ought to be encouraged to apply for high-skilled jobs but beyond the application step, everything should be equal and meritocratic.
The argument isn't necessarily for women to be hired for top brass jobs because they're women but that their gender shouldn't be a mark against them in the hiring/promotion discussion - a proper meritocracy where competence is the only consideration.

The focus is then on high paying board room jobs because they can't just be dismissed with "women are on average weaker than men" (true but average is the operative word there - there will be women that are more physically able than some men, and they shouldn't be just dismissed) as it can with manual labour jobs.
You don't encourage men to work in low paying jobs, so why encourage women?
Original post by SHallowvale
Jobs should be given to the best candidate(s) but in an equal world you should expect more representative outcomes in boardrooms, etc.

What jobs are men naturally better at and what jobs are women naturally better at?

Men-Manual jobs like being builders
Women-Carers especially to do with children.
As I said this is not always true
Equality is more important in what's lucrative. If your brother is given a pat on the back by your dad every once in a while and you're not, chances are you won't be as bothered. But if your brother is given a new car by your dad every year and you don't get the same stuff, you will be pretty pissed off. That's the basic principle.
The idea of feminism is that equal opportunities should be availible regardless of gender. And so as a feminist I would advocate for an equal proportion of genders within each industry regardless of the pay.- so long as the pay is equal.

In terms of why the focus of often on high wage jobs this is largely because there are very few high payed industries (if any) which are dominated by woman whilst a number of low paid industries are dominated by woman (i.e. Teaching assistants and secretaries) and so whilst it would be great to get more woman into the lower paid industries such as factory work, and it would be great to get more men into secretarial jobs- this doesn't change the economic abilities of these people. The overall amount of woman in low paid professions isn't remarkably low and so it makes sense to focus on why they are perhaps not so well represented in higher paid professions as this would allow us to reduce the wage gap.

However, I agree that we should pay more attention to the lower paid jobs in order to balance out equality among all sections of society!! In short, we don't focus on the higher paid jobs because we want to be better than men, we focus on the higher paid jobs because we have almost no representation within that pay grade and this therefore limits the ability of woman to play a part in the important sectors within government and business which is what maintains the male dominated view of society which is seen through media and government policy.
I have just started my mechanical engineering course and I'd say only 10% of the students are female. You'll hear feminists say we should encourage more women to join this field. I'd agree with that however if engineering was made up of 90% women no one would care.
Reply 15
tradditionally women were thought to be stay at home mums . having babies running the home raising the children , the men went to work progressed their career. Now the worm has turned women want to work.They still raise a family and clean and cook etc etc But women are way behind the men on pay scales, career progression. Its not about equality its about letting a woman make a choice.
Because they're middle class and just want quotas to get all the top jobs without actually earning them for examples see the entire current labour party.
Original post by Underscore__
Don't you know the purpose of feminism? 'Equality when it suits women'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if this is intended as a genuine post, but I'd argue it's not really the case at all. Anyone who is truly feminist wants gender equality, not just advantages for women.
Original post by shadowdweller
I'm not sure if this is intended as a genuine post, but I'd argue it's not really the case at all. Anyone who is truly feminist wants gender equality, not just advantages for women.

Well perhaps that's how you choose to see feminism but in practice it's always been about the advancement of women's rights. I'm yet to see any significant feminist action against areas in which women are advantaged. If it was truly all about equality those areas should be as much of a concern as areas where they're disadvantaged

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending