The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Surrey vs University of Southampton

Hi!

I recieved offers from both of these uni's for Psychology however I'm stuck on which one to choose! Surrey is the highest in the league tables currently (4th) and Southampton is pretty high as well, it is also worth noting that it's a Russel Group Uni (if that means anything) and the location is great, good shopping and it's by the sea.

Guildford is also a really lovely place. I've been quite a few times. And the facilities at Surrey are new etc whereas Southampton is very well known.

Hmmm, what do you think? Any help appreciated.
Original post by zanaxbeca
Hi!

I recieved offers from both of these uni's for Psychology however I'm stuck on which one to choose! Surrey is the highest in the league tables currently (4th) and Southampton is pretty high as well, it is also worth noting that it's a Russel Group Uni (if that means anything) and the location is great, good shopping and it's by the sea.

Guildford is also a really lovely place. I've been quite a few times. And the facilities at Surrey are new etc whereas Southampton is very well known.

Ignore league tables (especially the Guardian one), they do not give an accurate picture of what employers think. Personally, I think Southampton is more prestigious than Surrey, but prestige and university reputation count for very little these days - your grades and work experience matter a lot more. Go to whichever university has the most interesting course (there will be differences in module options, so do your research).
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hi!

Congrats on your offers from Surrey and Southampton! Both are great unis (especially Surrey, but I have to say that don't I haha :tongue:).

Just wondering if you've spoken with course tutors from either of the universities to discuss the programme in more detail? This is often a good way to figure out which programme is best suited to your needs. If you call our Admissions team on +44 (0)1483682222 they'll be able to put you in touch with one of the Psychology tutors and maybe even some current students I'm sure Southampton would also be willing to do this.

If you have any specific questions about life as a student, accommodation in Surrey etc I'm happy to answer, I studied BA (Hons) Theatre Studies at Surrey from 2012-2015

All the best,
Ashley
Hi!

Do either offer a year in industry or work placements? Such experience could help you get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by University of Surrey
We offer a placement year, which most of our students take advantage of. We were the first uni to offer placement years, and due to that we have longstanding relationships with many employers (over 2,300 across the UK and globally). You can find out more about the type of placement you could do as a Surrey Psychology student here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology/study/professional-training

Our Psychology students have completed placements in a variety of settings, including the Home Office analysing homicide data, working with the police in the research and analysis unit, working within the training and development teams in corporate companies, in a children's neuroscience unit researching tics and neurodevelopmental movement (TANDeM), in the psychosis unit of a mental health ward, in a rehab centre, in marketing agencies and many other places. You can read about their experiences in our My Surrey Experience features, which you can find here (about halfway down the page): http://www.surrey.ac.uk/search?query=my%20surrey%20experience%20psychology

If you have any questions just let me know :smile: Please be aware that our PM function is currently down, but we've alerted TSR who are trying to fix it. :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Don't tell me, tell the applicant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Don't tell me, tell the applicant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops, sorry! Responded to the wrong comment hahah. Thanks for pointing it out! :smile:
Hi!

Hey @zanaxbeca,

Just wanted to add some info about our placement programme (I replied to the wrong comment before - yesterday was super busy so I guess my brain was a bit confused hah)

We offer a placement year, which most of our students take advantage of. We were the first uni to offer placement years, and due to that we have longstanding relationships with many employers (over 2,300 across the UK and globally). You can find out more about the type of placement you could do as a Surrey Psychology student here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psych...ional-training

Our Psychology students have completed placements in a variety of settings, including the Home Office analysing homicide data, working with the police in the research and analysis unit, working within the training and development teams in corporate companies, in a children's neuroscience unit researching tics and neurodevelopmental movement (TANDeM), in the psychosis unit of a mental health ward, in a rehab centre, in marketing agencies and many other places. You can read about their experiences in our My Surrey Experience features, which you can find here (about halfway down the page): http://www.surrey.ac.uk/search?query...e%20psychology

If you have any questions just let me know Please be aware that our PM function is currently down, but we've alerted TSR who are trying to fix it.

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 7
Hi!

Outside of the actual course the main difference you will find will be the cost of accommodation in your second year, assuming you are in halls for your first. The monthly cost of sharing a house/flat will be £300+ in Southampton but will be £600+ in Guildford - pretty much in comparison with housing costs in both areas. If you're on a tight budget it is something you have to consider.
Heya,

Just jumping in to say that you can definitely get a room in Guildford for under £600 a month. My fully furnished double room that's a 15 minute walk from uni is £550 a month (all bills included, even Sky). When I was a student here 2 years ago I was paying £443 a month for a room in the same area, again with all bills included. I've had a look on Spareroom and there are rooms in Guildford to rent for £400 a month, some of them are even inclusive of bills.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a bit more expensive in comparison to Southampton, but that's because it's much closer to London. It takes 34 minutes via train to get from Guildford to London Waterloo, whereas it takes 1 hour 20 mins to get to London from Southampton. Personally, for me that was worth the extra cost but I know it might not be that way for everybody :smile:

I would say just go with your heart - see which course you prefer and go for it :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 9
Original post by University of Surrey
Congrats on your offers from Surrey and Southampton! Both are great unis (especially Surrey, but I have to say that don't I haha :tongue:).

Just wondering if you've spoken with course tutors from either of the universities to discuss the programme in more detail? This is often a good way to figure out which programme is best suited to your needs. If you call our Admissions team on +44 (0)1483682222 they'll be able to put you in touch with one of the Psychology tutors and maybe even some current students I'm sure Southampton would also be willing to do this.

If you have any specific questions about life as a student, accommodation in Surrey etc I'm happy to answer, I studied BA (Hons) Theatre Studies at Surrey from 2012-2015

All the best,
Ashley

How is life at Surrey?
Is guildford really that expensive, when ou compare to living in other towns or unis?
Original post by Eabe0011
How is life at Surrey?
Is guildford really that expensive, when ou compare to living in other towns or unis?

Hi @Eabe0011,

I loved the pace of student life at Surrey. It can be as busy or as quiet as you want it to be! We've got loads of university clubs and societies, which normally meet at least once a week, or if you want to venture into the wider Guildford community we've got a range of theatres, live music venues, country walks and leisure centres to take advantage of. The Uni of Surrey is a campus university, so everything is really easy to get to. Our Stag Hill campus is home to most of the university's facilities and is a 10 minute walk from the town centre, and a 10-15 minute walk from our Manor Park campus (which houses the Vet School, Manor Park accommodation and Surrey Sports Park). There are lots of green spaces on campus, including the lake, where you can just go to have lunch or chill out with your friends.

I'm not going to lie - Guildford is expensive, but that's due to its proximity to London. It takes just over a half hour to get to central London from Guildford train station. Rent will likely cost you upwards of £450 a month. However, the price reflects the town's great location and it's a really safe and pretty place to live. It has everything that you need and is very walkable, and there are regular buses from campus to town if you don't fancy walking. I really enjoyed living in Guildford as it was a good mix of country and town - walk in one direction for 10 minutes and you're in the town centre, with plenty of shops, restaurants and bars, walk for 10 minutes in the opposite direction and you're in the beautiful Surrey countryside :smile:

I hope this answers your question! If you would like any further info just let me know :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply