Advice on what to do after Sixth form/Collage??

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi

Well firstly don't really know who to talk to regarding this, so thought to ask on here.

Was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what are the options for after Sixth form/Collage.

I know the obvious option is go to Uni but then is the huge Uni debt really worth it and once you graduate do you actually have a higher chance of finding a well paid job [because have done some research and many articles on it is not worth the debt and many graduate are only finding work in non-graduate jobs]. I only question this because I am from a low income family as well as I myself barely have much money, but if I were to go to Uni I would prefer to live in Uni accommodation.

So my questions to you, in regards to Uni are:
  • Is it really worth all that debt (which can range up £50 000 in some cases)??
  • Would it be financial do-able to pay it back soon and not be old aged and still paying the debt back ??
  • Would a degree really increase my chance of getting a good, well paid job/ or career [that is better than a job I could with out a degree] ??
  • What are people's experiences with Uni and the financial side of it??

I also read the other options are; taking a gap year [to figure out what you want to do and get a job, volunteering etc] or apprenticeship. But not sure if they would work for me, due to I want to move out from the place I live and have a fresh start else where.

So my other questions to you are:
  • What are you experiences with your choices that you took after Sixth form/Collage ?? - Was it financial do-able, got you a good job or career, etc.
  • Could the wage you receive while on a apprenticeship be enough to live on and get a small place somewhere (if you add it to some savings you have before you start the apprenticeship) ??
  • Or would a gap year be more beneficial, like save up money, from working hard for a year, find your own place to live, find out what you want to do with your life etc and then decide if to go down the Uni route or the apprenticeship route or another route??

I really hope, some people would take the time to answer these questions and give some advice.

Thank you in advance for anyone that does.
Anonymous #1
Bump
Anonymous #1
Anyone ???
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
What do you want to do at uni?

Apprenticeships are very good too.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
What do you want to do at uni?

Apprenticeships are very good too.
Possible Psychology degree or some sort of English degree but thats the thing not sure what I want to do career wise in my life, thats part of the issue.

You had any experience of apprenticeships?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
I know a guy who's doing a software development apprenticeship and he's going on well.

Uni is a great experience, make sure you do voluntary work, internships, work placements etc.

You could do a degree online via the open uni full or part to time and the fees are around 5.5k.
Anonymous #1
I know a guy who's doing a software development apprenticeship and he's going on well.

Uni is a great experience, make sure you do voluntary work, internships, work placements etc.

You could do a degree online via the open uni full or part to time and the fees are around 5.5k.
That's cool

Sure is and okay.

Oh can you?? never knew that and thats considerable much cheaper sounding.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What was the collage of?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JamesManc)
What was the collage of?
Huh? What do you mean ?
Anonymous #1
:erm:
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So my questions to you, in regards to Uni are:
  • Is it really worth all that debt (which can range up £50 000 in some cases)??
  • Would it be financial do-able to pay it back soon and not be old aged and still paying the debt back ??
  • Would a degree really increase my chance of getting a good, well paid job/ or career [that is better than a job I could with out a degree] ??
  • What are people's experiences with Uni and the financial side of it??

Worth it or not? - It depends on your choice of degree and how well it matches to the job market. It also depends on whether you have experience or can get experience in the area you want to work.

Paying it back? - Depends on the job after degree. Current uni loan is £27K which equates to £50K+ debt (interest applied varies dep. on gov applied interest rates).

There are good jobs without a degree, but it still depends on your experience - no experience, no job - especially when lots of people are applying for the same job as you.

I'm at uni doing IT/Maths first yr and work part-time in ajob which will turn full-time when I finish uni.

• What are you experiences with your choices that you took after Sixth form/Collage ?? - Was it financial do-able, got you a good job or career, etc.
  • Could the wage you receive while on a apprenticeship be enough to live on and get a small place somewhere (if you add it to some savings you have before you start the apprenticeship) ??
  • Or would a gap year be more beneficial, like save up money, from working hard for a year, find your own place to live, find out what you want to do with your life etc and then decide if to go down the Uni route or the apprenticeship route or another route??
Apprenticeship is not a full time job - will not get you money to get your own place. You won't pass the credit check for renting, not to mention a mortgage.

Gap year won't save you enough money to get your own place, as most of the jobs will be low paid. That's if you can get a job without experience.

I lived at home with parents during GCSE & A Levels but worked part time and did voluntary work to get work experience. Went on gap year to live and work in Europe before starting uni last sept. Got my job shortly after.

I can't say I was really clever with my choices for gap year/ job / uni. I think there's an element of hard work and luck in all this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (816)
42.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.64%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.52%

Watched Threads