The Student Room Group

Can you be racist to white people? Discuss

This is a rather controversial topic and I saw it being discussed on facebook so I thought I'd ask you guys.

(I myself am white, so no, this thread isn't me voicing my racist views)

Some say that you can't be racist towards the people that created racism. Others say that white people need have undergone years of oppression for their skin color before experiencing racism. Is it just discrimination when a white person is abused?

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Share your examples of racism towards a white person, and what you personally think racism is (not just a google definition of racism).
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Saying that one group of people is immune to being racist is incredibly dangerous. If these people are truly fighting for equality they'd understand that being racist to white people is completely possible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course you can be. If someone beats someone up soley because they are white then that's racist. Obviously racism against white people hasn't been anyway near the scale of the other way round, it still happens though. When my sister had a black boyfriend she got abuse off some black women and white men.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course people can be racist towards white people no matter if they 'created' it or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely possible
The fact that this even needs to be debated is disgusting.

Liberals accuses all whites of being racist relentlessly, don't cry to me when it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy
Original post by bex.anne
This is a rather controversial topic and I saw it being discussed on facebook so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Some say that you can't be racist towards the people that created racism. Others say that white people need have undergone years of oppression for their skin color before experiencing racism. Is it just discrimination when a white person is abused?

What are your thoughts?

Ofc you can.

racism
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Yes.

/thread
Can you be racist to white people if you're white?
Reply 9

What are your thoughts?

Yes, you can be racist to white people, but the reason it is debated so heavily is because 1. white racism far less frequent, 2. everyday racism against white people is practically unheard of, and 3. white privilege is instilled in our society.

The problem I have is people who are willing to overlook racism towards black people, asian people, mixed race people, etc, but become hysterical and scream "WHITE RACISM" if someone who isn't white says something like "cracker".

If someone called me a cracker I'd probably roll my eyes and move on. White racism does not carry the same weight behind it as years of colonial oppression, slavery, Jim Crow, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hirsty97
The fact that this even needs to be debated is disgusting.

Liberals accuses all whites of being racist relentlessly, don't cry to me when it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy

No one's crying to you.
Yes, I've been racially abused for being white
Original post by 999tigger
Ofc you can.

racism
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Don't give people the white man's definition who had no clue what it felt like to be a victim of mass oppression. REVERSE racism simply doesn't exist because it doesn't have the weight of institutionalised racism dating back centuries behind it. I can be prejudice, I can discriminatory to a white person but I can never be racist towards a white person.Maybe if the whites were lynched, enslaved and tortured on a mass scale such thing could exist. But lets be real white supremacy will never let it happen.
Reply 13
Original post by Ella-keturah
Of course you can be. If someone beats someone up soley because they are white then that's racist. Obviously racism against white people hasn't been anyway near the scale of the other way round, it still happens though. When my sister had a black boyfriend she got abuse off some black women and white men.

Was she abused purely because she was white?

What are your thoughts?

White people cannot face institutional racism in the western world. This is the form of racism that exists because of the establishment which discriminates against black and minority groups.

You can be racist to whites, but white people face far less racism than other groups of people. This is also not just a white vs non white thing.

Point is that when white people complain about racism, it's petty racism that they kick up a storm about when other people manage to live their lives perfectly well whilst also dealing with petty racism.

Non whites have been told for years that petty racism, name calling etc etc isnt a big deal, so I dont understand why white people feel so entitled
Reply 15
Original post by MartinF98
Yes, I've been racially abused for being white

Please could you expand?
It doesnt matter who started racism and how it is being used,if it is discrimination to another race no matter black white asian or whatnot, it is racism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Misaki24
racismˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/noun

It doesnt matter who started racism and how it is being used,if it is discrimination to another race no matter black white asian or whatnot, it is racism.

Googled definitions?

"ketchupˈkɛtʃəp,ˈkɛtʃʌp/nounnoun: ketchup; plural noun: ketchups

a spicy sauce made chiefly from tomatoes and vinegar, used as a relish."

How many times have you heard people of other races referring to white people as a 'white boy' or a 'white girl'.

People say some girls are 'such white girls' which many people don't see as racist or prejudiced because they see it as jokey and referring to their like of Starbucks, getting drunk quickly etc. However it is racist because you are stereotyping a group of people.

I can't imagine the s**t white people would get if they started saying 'you're such a black girl' or referring to men as 'black boys'.
You can, racism isn't exclusive to one specific race, just because racism directed at white people isn't publicised doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Your title suggests white people have immunity from racism and are far superior.

Quick Reply

Latest