The Student Room Group

Can you be racist to white people? Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 69edgy420me
Vast majority of jobs have no such discrimination. Such cases are rare and are always inflated by the right to make it seem like it represents reality. You raising such a tiny thing that affects maybe a dozen jobs is further proof that you need to really scrape the bottom of the barrel to make an argument.

You kind of remind me of the CEO of tesco who thinks white people are facing extinction in high business positions when all 11 members of his board are white, including 8 white men.

There is no institionalised racism against whites because the establishment is white.

Lmao, I'm not a proponent of white genocide.

What's the establishment? How can this establishment be "white"? If the use of that adjective is describing the people who pertain to this establishment, wouldn't a single non-"white" person essentially break this? If so, the implication is that there are no non-"white" people in positions of power, which is absolute crap.
Original post by bex.anne
And do you think this is a positive thing?

Do you know how difficult it is for POC in the jobs market?

Yes, perhaps there are qoutas for ehtnic minorties to be picked for jobs, this does not mean if they are hiring 50 people for a job, all 50 will be black, this means that a percentage will be people of colour. It's usually to stop discrimination. There have been countless studies on people who have submitted the exact same CV's with white names and then non white names, who have only been successful in being invited to interview when submitting them with white names.

Don't you just think for one minute that its actually an appaling thing that we have had to resort to some sort of equality qouta in order to ensure that POC are represented in the jobs market? I dont get how this is racism - it's really just equality, it's not like the person of colour will be any less qualified if they are chosen for the job anyway.

Judging from what I surrounded that statement with, do you think that I think that it's a good thing?

Discrimination cannot be used to combat discrimination. It creates more inequality by favouring individuals due to their race, what one may refer to as positive discrimination, and is that really the solution to inequalities that may exist?

Also, if the individual was not going to be picked in the first place, then the implication is, is that they are less fit for the job.
Reply 42
And do you think this is a positive thing?

Do you know how difficult it is for POC in the jobs market?

Yes, perhaps there are qoutas for ehtnic minorties to be picked for jobs, this does not mean if they are hiring 50 people for a job, all 50 will be black, this means that a percentage will be people of colour. It's usually to stop discrimination. There have been countless studies on people who have submitted the exact same CV's with white names and then non white names, who have only been successful in being invited to interview when submitting them with white names.

Don't you just think for one minute that its actually an appaling thing that we have had to resort to some sort of equality qouta in order to ensure that POC are represented in the jobs market? I dont get how this is racism - it's really just equality, it's not like the person of colour will be any less qualified if they are chosen for the job anyway.

so a more qualified candidate can be rejected based on race simply because they had to meet a quota so had to hire some less qualified candidates just because theyre poc. makes sense.
Original post by Jay Caz
There is nothing wrong with that definition of racism.

You are right that reverse racism doesn't exist because it is simply racism. You can be racist to someone who is white, there is nothing holding that back from being a thing. In fact it happens quite commonly. In some universities in America they have degrees setup in which some of the modules are based around teaching white people that they are inherently racist and evil. Reverse the races and it is just as disgusting.

We learn from our past, we do not dwell on it and base our lives around tradition and horrible moral values once instilled in society. The western world has far better moral values and has done for decades now.

Also I don't know where you get this idea that white people as a race haven't faced tragedy in terms of genocide, 6-11 million Jews murdered based on faith, and Stalin killed tens of millions on ideology. The only difference between the murders of these tens of millions of people and the suffering of the black race in America (And elsewhere at the time) was the intent behind it, but that doesn't make it a less serious crime.

My biggest question to you is, why do you think it is OK to be racist towards white people, or at the very least do not class it as racism?

Firstly, you say the western world has learn't from it's past but please explain the deaths of Sandra Bland, Mike brown Trayvon Martin, Mark Duggan and most recently the lynching of Ben Keita and the thousands of other innocent people that have been murdered by those sworn to serve and protect,. Furthermore, even after physical evidence, the justice department allows these 'murderers' to walk free.

We wouldn't be dwelling on the past if this wasn't happening in the present.

In addition, this genocide against white people you seem to rave on about did not happen because of the colour of their skin and their ethnicity. The topic here is about race and not religious and ideological genocide. So if you are able to name mass oppression faced by white based on the colour of their skin and their inferiority then your point may be valid.

Finally, I did not say it was okay to be discriminatory and prejudice to white people, I just simply wouldn't class it as racism.The reason for this being, like i said before discrimination can't be classed a racism if it doesn't have the weight of institutionalised oppression behind it.How can I class something as racism if white supremacy is still dominating our society? check your privilege.
Original post by _gcx
Lmao, I'm not a proponent of white genocide.

What's the establishment? How can this establishment be "white"? If the use of that adjective is describing the people who pertain to this establishment, wouldn't a single non-"white" person essentially break this? If so, the implication is that there are no non-"white" people in positions of power, which is absolute crap.

No, the Tesco CEO said there's not enough white men in high business when theyre still the dominant group.

Such an implication has not been made. What Im saying is that for there to be institionalised racism there has to be some form of racism against a group, but when the establishment is white dominated, it is impossible for them to be racist agains themselves.

As said, the only way white people argue about suffering from discrimination is when they inflate very small issues.
Reply 45
Vast majority of jobs have no such discrimination. Such cases are rare and are always inflated by the right to make it seem like it represents reality. You raising such a tiny thing that affects maybe a dozen jobs is further proof that you need to really scrape the bottom of the barrel to make an argument.

You kind of remind me of the CEO of tesco who thinks white people are facing extinction in high business positions when all 11 members of his board are white, including 8 white men.

There is no institionalised racism against whites because the establishment is white.

do you actually think poc are underrepresented simply because theyre poc or because of socio economic factors?
Reply 46
Original post by _gcx
Judging from what I surrounded that statement with, do you think that I think that it's a good thing?

Discrimination cannot be used to combat discrimination. It creates more inequality by favouring individuals due to their race, what one may refer to as positive discrimination, and is that really the solution to inequalities that may exist?

Also, if the individual was not going to be picked in the first place, then the implication is, is that they are less fit for the job.

It's not favouring individiuals, it's stopping employers from discriminating against individuals. If a company has 70 staff members in a branch, all of which are white, they may then bring in a qouta in which at least 5% of member are people of colour. Theres nothing wrong with this, it stops prejiduced employers from not employing people purely because of their skin colour. :smile:

Do you know whats funny, they have these qoutas for the amount of women employed in a company as well as the amount of people with disabilities employed in a company, where the same arguments you started above applied, and the same arguments I replied with apply, its all to combat discrimination and prejudice in the workplace. I guess you wouldn't have an issue with that though? Equality doesn't matter when it comes to race does it?
Original post by okey
do you actually think poc are underrepresented simply because theyre poc or because of socio economic factors?

A mixture really, perhaps there is an unconscious bias that exists. Tbh it's not a huge deal, this is a white majority country and I think I blame the way wealth and capital is accumulated which leads to most people in high positions to be from wealthy backgrounds who also happen to be white. Also most companies do push for diversity and equal opportunity.

What I do have a problem with however is that a white CEO trying to victimise himself by claiming something that is completely false.
White people cannot face institutional racism in the western world.

Institutional Racism: "racial discrimination that has become established as normal behavior within a society or organization."

For example, the normal behavior of calling all white people "racist to some extent". So yeah, white people can face institutional racism.
It's not favouring individiuals, it's stopping employers from discriminating against individuals. If a company has 70 staff members in a branch, all of which are white, they may then bring in a qouta in which at least 5% of member are people of colour. Theres nothing wrong with this, it stops prejiduced employers from not employing people purely because of their skin colour. :smile:

Do you know whats funny, they have these qoutas for the amount of women employed in a company as well as the amount of people with disabilities employed in a company, where the same arguments you started above applied, and the same arguments I replied with apply, its all to combat discrimination and prejudice in the workplace. I guess you wouldn't have an issue with that though? Equality doesn't matter when it comes to race does it?

I maintain the same belief for all characteristics out of one's control.
Original post by AHSOHPIJSK
Don't give people the white man's definition who had no clue what it felt like to be a victim of mass oppression. REVERSE racism simply doesn't exist because it doesn't have the weight of institutionalised racism dating back centuries behind it. I can be prejudice, I can discriminatory to a white person but I can never be racist towards a white person.Maybe if the whites were lynched, enslaved and tortured on a mass scale such thing could exist. But lets be real white supremacy will never let it happen.

White people cannot face institutional racism in the western world. This is the form of racism that exists because of the establishment which discriminates against black and minority groups.

You can be racist to whites, but white people face far less racism than other groups of people. This is also not just a white vs non white thing.

Point is that when white people complain about racism, it's petty racism that they kick up a storm about when other people manage to live their lives perfectly well whilst also dealing with petty racism.

Non whites have been told for years that petty racism, name calling etc etc isnt a big deal, so I dont understand why white people feel so entitled

"Institutional racism" is not only a useless argument, it is also a counterproductive one. We can't read minds, so we can't find it, measure it , or prove it. The sole evidence used to say it exists is the disproportionate social outcomes between the races. The implication is that "institutional racism will be alleged until equality of outcome is in parity without addressing any other possible cultural factors. How about we measure equality of opportunity instead of equality of outcome. If we can find a situation in which identifiable behavior or policies are racist, then we can fight it. Here is one...Black privilege. What should we do about this clearly racist policy?

The irony is that these types of measures end up hurting the groups they are trying improve. I don't believe telling young black kids that all their woes are the fault of a system rigged against them. That any failures they encounter are not their fault. Then we give them advantages on their test scores or lower standards to fill quotas.

"Hey look kid, there is this institutional boogey man out there who will always hold you back. We'll offer some privileges to you based on the color of your skin though. Now you will have this chip on your shoulder and people will wonder if you achieved your success on your own merits or if being black helped you get in to University/job/etc."
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarthRoar
Institutional Racism: "racial discrimination that has become established as normal behavior within a society or organization."

For example, the normal behavior of calling all white people "racist to some extent". So yeah, white people can face institutional racism.

That's not normal behaviour. People who make such sweeping statements get called out and criticised all the time.

87% of this country is white, 63% of America is white, so how can it be the case that it's been established as normal behaviour? Do white people believe that they're all racist to some extent?

Your argument is void.
Yes, of course.
Reply 53
Original post by okey
so a more qualified candidate can be rejected based on race simply because they had to meet a quota so had to hire some less qualified candidates just because theyre poc. makes sense.

And you're assuming the white person is more qualified are you?

How do you know that?

Do you understand how the market works?

If someone gets to the interview stage in a job, they are qualified enough, after that, its just seeing who is the most competitive.

Again, a qouta does not mean a company will be drowned with 500 people of colour, they wouldnt want to lose their racist customers due to only having POC working for them of course, the qouta will be something of around 1-5%, and its really just to combat discrimination and prejudice, that same way in which they have qoutas for employing a percentage of women in a company and a percentage of disabled people. No one complains about that but people love to complain about qoutas for race?
Yes it can be racist,but the legal system will never let it get to court. I do not understand the reason for that
Original post by ckingalt
"Institutional racism" is not only a useless argument, it is also a counterproductive one. We can't read minds, so we can't find it, measure it , or prove it. The sole evidence used to say it exists is the disproportionate social outcomes between the races. The implication is that "institutional racism will be alleged until equality of outcome is in parity without addressing any other possible cultural factors. How about we measure equality of opportunity instead of equality of outcome. If we can find a situation in which identifiable behavior or policies are racist, then we can fight it. Here is one...Black privilege. What should we do about this clearly racist policy?

The irony is that these types of measures end up hurting the groups they are trying improve. I don't believe telling your black kids that all their woes are the fault of a system rigged against them. That any failure they encounter are not their fault. Then we give them advantages on their test scores or lower standards to fill quotas.

"Hey look kid, there is this institutional boogey man out there who will always hold you back. We'll offer some privileges to you based on the color of your skin though. Now you will have this chip on your shoulder and people will wonder if you achieved your success on your own merits of if being black helped you get in to University/job/etc."

LOOOL black privilege, quotes a conservative news source. Ok buddy.

I agree, we shouldnt raise institutionalised racism because it makes people feel worthless. But that's not the argument going on here. Read what has been said instead of pulling a straw man. As I've also said, just because institutionalised racism can be counter productive in some aspects, doesnt mean its an issue not worth talking about. No one is suggesting that we should blame the institution for our problems, instead we should be making people at least aware of it and how to fight it.
That's not normal behaviour. People who make such sweeping statements get called out and criticised all the time.

87% of this country is white, 63% of America is white, so how can it be the case that it's been established as normal behaviour? Do white people believe that they're all racist to some extent?

Because it's not just minorities that perpetuate the idea that all whites are racist, its also some white people themselves (usually SJWs) who contribute to this.

However, I do take your point that those who make these statements are criticized, but so are those who're racist to black people, and that isn't particularly common either.
Original post by DarthRoar
Because it's not just minorities that perpetuate the idea that all whites are racist, its also some white people themselves (usually SJWs) who contribute to this.

However, I do take your point that those who make these statements are criticized, but so are those who're racist to black people, and that isn't particularly common either.

Not all minorities perpetuate such an idea and SJWs make up such a tiny tiny proportion anyway. Your argument is still void.

All forms of racism and stereotyping is called out all the time.
Reply 58
And you're assuming the white person is more qualified are you?

How do you know that?

Do you understand how the market works?

If someone gets to the interview stage in a job, they are qualified enough, after that, its just seeing who is the most competitive.

Again, a qouta does not mean a company will be drowned with 500 people of colour, they wouldnt want to lose their racist customers due to only having POC working for them of course, the qouta will be something of around 1-5%, and its really just to combat discrimination and prejudice, that same way in which they have qoutas for employing a percentage of women in a company and a percentage of disabled people. No one complains about that but people love to complain about qoutas for race?

I'm saying that in situations when the white person is more qualified, but someone who happens to be less qualified but is an ethnic minority/disabled/woman/whatever and the employer needs them to fulfil the quota, then the white person is out of a job on the basis of race- which is fundamentally racist.

And not all application processes are level playing fields at interview, and even if they were it would still be unfair.

1-5% is still an unjust 1-5% and is still wrong.

And qoutas of this kind for any variable are equally wrong idk what youre talking about.

No one is suggesting that we should blame the institution for our problems, instead we should be making people at least aware of it and how to fight it.

That's my point. How do you propose to fight it? The only suggestions I've ever head is for actual institutional racism to be implemented in the reverse. This is the reverse racism that some suggest can not exist. The source I used is conservative but the article includes FACTS. Those facts is an example of identifiable institutional racism. Now you know what it actually looks like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending