The Student Room Group

4 medicine rejections, please help! :(

Hi everyone,

I got rejected from 4 med schools in the past 3 months. It was a heck of a journey and rejections weren't easy to bear. However I have finally got myself back together and want to know what my next steps should be. Medicine is what I really want to do and I'm prepared to do anything for it. I'm really not prepared to take a gap year due to some personal difficulties so I really want to get in this year. However if that doesn't happen, I'm also willing to take a gap year. Please help in any way if you can.

My stats:
GCSEs: 7A*s and 6As
AS Level: AAA (bio, chem, maths) C (physics, dropped)
A Level predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 607 average :frown:
BMAT: 3.5, 4.7, 3a
Uni's applied: Bristol, Aberdeen, UCL, Keele (all rejected pre-interview)

I know it's my UKCAT and BMAT that really let me down :frown: But unfortunately I cannot change that now.

QUESTIONS:

1) How likely is a med clearing? I know that St Georges did clearing last year for 50 spaces, but what are the requirements? Do more uni's do it? I heard that Manchester and Hull York's did it for a few spaces but weren't on any newspapers.

2 ) How do I get 3 A*s? And if I do, would it be possible for me to call up on the day and get an offer? Someone I know got into Cardiff ; they got a phone call on the day because they had great results. But is that only for people who have been interviewed? I also know someone who got a call from Kings on the day for dentistry but was initially rejected pre-interveiw.

3.) If I do take a gap year, what should I do in the gap year? Going abroad and travelling really isn't an option for me. I'm not that financially equipped. I also don't want to sit around for a year.

4) If you've been in my position, or know someone that's been here before, please share their story. It all gets a bit depressing sometimes and I often feel like there's no hope left for me :frown:

Please help in any way you can, answering any question you can. I really appreciate your input
Reply 1
Firstly, I'm sorry you've gone through that! I hope you do get in.

To answer your questions:

1) I know nothing about med clearing so not helpful there. But you could contact the medical schools and ask if you are on waiting lists or if you could be reconsidered. Call the ones you applied to and speak to them.

2) best policy right now - study hard. Really hard. Focus on your work above anything and remember why not oh are doing it. I got 4A*s at A-level so could give more specific advice if needed!

3) if on a gap year and financially in a difficult spot - get a job and save the likelihood is you can develop a lot of transferable skills for medicine
1) The chances of you getting a place through clearing are quite low, as you probably know - due to the vast number of people with 4 rejections, like yourself, who will want those places. Obviously, give it a go - especially if you get your 3 A*s - but don't get your hopes up. I don't know if those places consider UKCAT/BMAT scores when allocating clearing places - if they do, that may count against you.

2) How to get 3 A*s? I'm sure you know the answer already - revise a LOT, have a good revision timetable to make sure you get through everything, do past papers, sleep well. I'm not an expert but I expect that if someone is offered a place on results day from a uni that rejected them, it's very likely they would have had an interview, so I doubt that route is open to you.

3) Taking a gap year is your best bet. Travelling around definitely isn't what you should be doing though, so don't worry about not being able to afford that. Try and get a job at a local hospital as a healthcare assistant or something, or failing that, volunteer at an old people's home and try and get more medical work experience. To earn money to pay your way, work as a bio/chem/maths GCSE/A-level tutor - it pays well, especially if you have A* at A-level in those subjects. Use tutor hunt to find work. Also, work on improving your UKCAT as much as you can (and BMAT, if you decide to apply to UCL again). Perhaps do one of those UKCAT courses.

Alternatively, you could take your Biomed/Biochem/whatever your fifth option is, and then do graduate entry medicine. Bear in mind though, you will be studying for a lot longer, possibly 7/8 years, so this may be tough financially (although some of those years will involve paid work).

4) I know lots of people who've been in your position and they all got at least one medicine offer the second time round. Some of them were slightly less ambitious in their choices when they reapplied - so went for Hull York, Leicester etc. With medicine, it doesn't matter where you go - the degree is the same and you're guaranteed employment.

My final advice would be, DON'T GO TO PRAGUE OR BULGARIA!!!! My mum is a GP involved in training recent medicine graduates who want to become GPs, and she says that a Prague/Bulgarian medicine degree is nowhere near as good as a UK medicine degree. The Prague graduates she trains really struggle, and one failed the key GP assessment 3 times, whereas all her UK-trained graduates pass first time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry to hear about your situation :frown: being rejected sucks, especially when it's something that's important to you and that you're supposedly good at. I'm glad to hear that you're apparently feeling ok. Time will make it even better.

As above, I think that a gap year would be your best option. If you'd rather study in the UK I think it's way better to spend the year constructing a great application for next year instead of going to some dodgy uni in Europe this year, for example. A year probably seems like a long time but it will go by really fast.

I decided to apply to the UK instead of my home country really late and I'm currently on a gap year. I didn't like the idea and would've rather started uni asap, but it's actually been great. I don't have loads of money either so in addition to application-related stuff and a tiny bit of traveling I've been mostly working. It hasn't always been fun but it has definitely been useful. I've become more independent and mature, earned some money which will help during uni, and been able to explore my interests outside science through stuff like reading some good literature and learning a 4th language. I feel like I have a far better idea of who I want to become and what kind of career I want to have than I did a year ago. I also smashed my A2 equivalent exams, UKCAT and BMAT and tbh was pretty happy with my application. I know that the idea of a gap year can sound a bit scary, but personally I think that these things have definitely been worth "wasting" a year.

With regards to getting the grades - you just have to put in the work tbh. People study differently, but I found that taking good, comprehensive notes and doing as many past papers as possible was really helpful.

You have awesome grades and I'm sure you'll get offers in the UK next year if you put in the effort to do well in your exams and admissions tests. Try not to take the rejections personally as a reflection on your ability to become a great doctor - most people get 4 rejections, and it sounds like you would've had a good chance if you had prepared better for the admissions tests. A gap year might end up being a really awesome opportunity even though it doesn't seem like it now. Best of luck. :smile:
Original post by sunk
Hi everyone,

I got rejected from 4 med schools in the past 3 months. It was a heck of a journey and rejections weren't easy to bear. However I have finally got myself back together and want to know what my next steps should be. Medicine is what I really want to do and I'm prepared to do anything for it. I'm really not prepared to take a gap year due to some personal difficulties so I really want to get in this year. However if that doesn't happen, I'm also willing to take a gap year. Please help in any way if you can.

My stats:

I know it's my UKCAT and BMAT that really let me down :frown: But unfortunately I cannot change that now.

QUESTIONS:

1) How likely is a med clearing? I know that St Georges did clearing last year for 50 spaces, but what are the requirements? Do more uni's do it? I heard that Manchester and Hull York's did it for a few spaces but weren't on any newspapers.

2 ) How do I get 3 A*s? And if I do, would it be possible for me to call up on the day and get an offer? Someone I know got into Cardiff ; they got a phone call on the day because they had great results. But is that only for people who have been interviewed? I also know someone who got a call from Kings on the day for dentistry but was initially rejected pre-interveiw.

3.) If I do take a gap year, what should I do in the gap year? Going abroad and travelling really isn't an option for me. I'm not that financially equipped. I also don't want to sit around for a year.

4) If you've been in my position, or know someone that's been here before, please share their story. It all gets a bit depressing sometimes and I often feel like there's no hope left for me :frown:

Please help in any way you can, answering any question you can. I really appreciate your input

1) Highly unlikely, uni's have lists of people who applied to them and who nearly got an offer who they usually go to first if they have spaces.

2) Getting 3A*s is hard, but if you do then definitely take a gap year and reapply, with a better UKCAT and interview prep you would stand a great chance. Not sure about ringing up, but again i think the chances are very slim.

3) There's plenty you could do in your gap year for no cost ( long term volunteering, work as a HCA, more work experience ect). Yo don't have to spend the whole year doing medicine related stuff tho, if you got a job you could afford to travel after the application process has finished.

Have a read of this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine#What_to_Do_if_Everything_Goes_Wrong
Oh and you definitely don't need piles of money in order to travel. If you combine, say, traveling with Interrail with finding accommodation from www.workaway.info you can get by with minimal costs.
Hey there. I was in your position last year. I got in this year and am on a gap year now. Its hard Im not going to lie. This year has been really hard and filled with a lot of boredom and isolation. All i can say is work hard and get good A levels. That is all you can do now. This coming summer, practice really well for the UKCAT and BMAT. Who knows if you do really well in the BMAT and you get your predictions you might even get into oxbridge next year. Also don't pin your hopes on clearing.
Reply 7
Hey there :-) Sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful in your application this year. However, like everyone else on this thread, I encourage to try again! Medical applications are so competitive that deserving candidates will be turned away every year. One of my good friends is a brilliant student (1st in her BSc, top 10% of the year group in all exams) and yet she too was rejected from all of her unis first time around.

If you would like particular help with BMAT and UKCAT, hundreds of students have benefited from our courses and you would be very welcome to come on one once they start in May/June. Also, please don't let finances be a barrier, we offer bursaries and have some free resources too :-)

Best of luck,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
I was in the same situation, now a 5th year medic at Glasgow.
I'd reccomend getting a medically related job.
I worked in a microbiology lab(full time) and also as a HCA (part time)
Smash the UKCAT, use the 600Q book, it raised my score from 617.5 to 677.5
If you need any help/advice just ask.
My gap year ended up being one of the best years of my life.
Reply 9
Original post by XavierMyshkin
Firstly, I'm sorry you've gone through that! I hope you do get in.

To answer your questions:

1) I know nothing about med clearing so not helpful there. But you could contact the medical schools and ask if you are on waiting lists or if you could be reconsidered. Call the ones you applied to and speak to them.

2) best policy right now - study hard. Really hard. Focus on your work above anything and remember why not oh are doing it. I got 4A*s at A-level so could give more specific advice if needed!

3) if on a gap year and financially in a difficult spot - get a job and save the likelihood is you can develop a lot of transferable skills for medicine

Hi, thank you for replying. I'm currently struggling with A Levels. I feel like it's impossible to get an A* in bio, chem or maths. I've been on A's this whole year and I'm trying to revise at the moment but I feel like I'm not quite hitting the A* range yet. Any advice on how to maintain a good study schedule and tips on pushing the A's to A* would be great! Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ebrodgers123
Hey there. I was in your position last year. I got in this year and am on a gap year now. Its hard Im not going to lie. This year has been really hard and filled with a lot of boredom and isolation. All i can say is work hard and get good A levels. That is all you can do now. This coming summer, practice really well for the UKCAT and BMAT. Who knows if you do really well in the BMAT and you get your predictions you might even get into oxbridge next year. Also don't pin your hopes on clearing.

Thank you for replying. If you don't mind, could you share a few details about your application? Like what A level grades you got and where you applied etc.? I've also been worrying about taking a gap year, I know it's going to be tough to handle. Could you give me any specific advice on what to do during a gap year? I know most people would say work in a healthcare environment/get work experience etc. I mean more like what did you do to stay happy and active etc.? With all my friends off to Uni this year, I doubt I'll have anyone to talk to without feeling like a complete failure :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by CpnCornetto
I was in the same situation, now a 5th year medic at Glasgow.
I'd reccomend getting a medically related job.
I worked in a microbiology lab(full time) and also as a HCA (part time)
Smash the UKCAT, use the 600Q book, it raised my score from 617.5 to 677.5
If you need any help/advice just ask.
My gap year ended up being one of the best years of my life.

Thank you for replying. I have a few specific questions if you don't mind answering. Do you think it's a good idea to reapply to Uni's that rejected me? What did you do during your gap year to stay happy and not feel bored etc.? This applies to me because all of my friends will be in Uni this year and I feel as though I'd have no one to talk to. My parents are also having a hard time digesting the fact that I didn't make it in this year, do you have any tips on handling parents?
Reply 12
I had 4 rejections and got a telephone call over the summer from a place I'd interviewed at but hadn't been offered a place initially. It does happen, but I think somebody who wasn't interviewed is unlikely to be on their radar.

I hope you get your A*s and that you are lucky on the day with phone calls. You never know.

Can I give a tiny bit of advice - it will be very tempting to take up another course and go for GEP. I don't recommend anyone takes on a degree as a means to an end. Also, you've seen how difficult it is to get in to medicine, GEP is harder still. It would be so much better to spend a year saving money, prepping for UKCAT, and getting more volunteering experience.
Original post by sunk
Thank you for replying. I have a few specific questions if you don't mind answering. Do you think it's a good idea to reapply to Uni's that rejected me? What did you do during your gap year to stay happy and not feel bored etc.? This applies to me because all of my friends will be in Uni this year and I feel as though I'd have no one to talk to. My parents are also having a hard time digesting the fact that I didn't make it in this year, do you have any tips on handling parents?

So a lot of my pals never went to uni and I made a ton of new mates at work, we went for pints weekly and that. I was by no means bored. It's a non issue because you'll meet a ton of people this year, I know it seems like it now but you'll see.
Parents wise they were surprised but my parents are the type that would be happy with me doing anything as long as I'm happy (literally my dad always said, if collecting the bins makes you smile then do it)
At the end of the day some other folk I know had a hard time with their parents trying to push them onto any degree, but they're all having I told you so moments now that they're graduating as doctors.
10 percent of medical applications when I was applying where successful
Universities know this
Most people re-apply to unis they've applied to before
I did and even got an interview from peninsula I didn't get the year before.
They won't hold it against you. However I never thought id apply to Glasgow tbh, I applied as I thought I would be likely to get in. I did and l also loved the city when I came for interview and it instantly shot up my list. 5 years later and I have absolutely no regrets. So do apply to where you have the best chance based on your application
Original post by sunk
Thank you for replying. If you don't mind, could you share a few details about your application? Like what A level grades you got and where you applied etc.? I've also been worrying about taking a gap year, I know it's going to be tough to handle. Could you give me any specific advice on what to do during a gap year? I know most people would say work in a healthcare environment/get work experience etc. I mean more like what did you do to stay happy and active etc.? With all my friends off to Uni this year, I doubt I'll have anyone to talk to without feeling like a complete failure :frown:

So I was predicted A*AA and applied to liverpool, manchester, Imperial, and keele. Only had 1 interview (liverpool), as I just missed manchesters ukcat cutoff by 5 points, screwed up my BMAT, and didn't have relevant experience for keele. This year after having acheived 2A*s A I applied to manchester, Exeter, Nottinham, and Oxford. Got into manchester and exeter, and got offered interview for notts but didnt bother going. Pre-interview rejected by Oxford. In regards to staying happy during the gap year, my advice is to keep as busy as possible. Ideally get a part time job and save up. I wish i did this. Im going travelling but only for a month. Others are away for up to 6 as they have saved up enough. Also, in your spare time visit friends at uni. When they have holidays try and also organise stuff to do with them, as during term time when they are away you will get very lonely. But, the time should pass quickly and you will be at uni in no time.
Original post by sunk
Hi everyone,

My stats:

QUESTIONS:

1)Few unis did med clearing last year(2016) including Sheffield, Birmingham was in clearing for a few hours. St george's wanted 3As and a decent ukcat to offer a place through clearing.

2)Yes that's true. A lot of the uni's re-consider applicants (ONLY the ones they interviewed) on the day if they are short on applicants and see that the applicants they rejected get better grades.

3) You don't need to go abroad. Get a job (I'd recommend in a healthcare setting and take up new hobbies) Basically build yourself and prove that you're still if not more determined to go into medicine after gap year. Doesn't matter if what you do isn't a fancy gap medic thing- find jobs locally!

4)I have been there before because I love medicine! But I never lost hope, if anything it motivated me even more to get my grades and hey it then got me 3 med offers in my gap year. Feel free to pm me.

Best of luck. If you really are passionate about medicine keep trying :smile:
Original post by sunk
Hi everyone,

My stats:

QUESTIONS:

I saw Exeter on UCAS Extra a few days ago. Not sure if it's still there, but you might want to check it out
Original post by sunk
Hi everyone,

My stats:

QUESTIONS:

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that you didn't receive your offers. Like the others on this thread, we'd recommend taking a gap year and re-applying to medical school next year - many medical schools look favourably on reapplications as it shows commitment to medicine.

A gap year is a great opportunity to strengthen your application - whether this is through more medical work experience or more preparation for the UKCAT or BMAT. You could take a look at our pages on What To Do If You Don't Receive Your Offers and Reapplying to Medical School.

In terms of getting your three A*s, the key is LOTS of revision! Make a revision timetable and revise sections of the syllabus every day; create mind maps for different topics; convert the mind maps into flashcards and ask friends or family to test you. And remember to keep an eye on our blogs over the next few months for Biology and Chemistry revision tips! Good luck!

Hope this helps :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by sunk
Hi everyone,

My stats:

QUESTIONS:

First of all sorry about this.... well there are some universities in Europe that are GMC accredited which means you can come back to the UK and complete your foundation years..... one good thing is you don't need to give the PLAB provided you are an EU national.....Good luck!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending