The Student Room Group

Millennials are overly sensitive and way too fragile

This is a criticism often leveled at the majority of youth occupying today's universities. The implementation of safe spaces, and trigger warnings are some examples of the behaviors cited. There also seems to be a prevailing leftist campaign to shut down any contradictory rhetoric. What ever happened to universities being institutions that explore alternative viewpoints? Too many modern students want to be protected from ideas instead of challenged by them.

Does anyone consider these attitudes and behaviors to be a positive development?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckingalt
This is a criticism often leveled at the majority of youth occupying today's universities.

It's a fair criticism in some specific cases, but those levelling it at the majority of university students are complete idiots.
Reply 2
Original post by RF_PineMarten
It's a fair criticism in some specific cases, but those levelling it at the majority of university students are complete idiots.

Fair point. "Majority" is a poor word choice. Perhaps I should have said "significant portion"
Have absolutely no idea what this thread is about. Can someone use basic English terminology and not all that fancy political gibberish?
This is why my generation needs to experience enforced poverty.
Reply 5
I'm a liberal, I will not deny that at all, and I am proud to be one. However, I disagree with the concept of safe spaces, especially at university. University is a time to discover and challenge yourself, to explore different views and ideas. Yes, such things should be discussed with complete respect and no one should be belittled for having a different opinion, but I believe safe spaces takes such opportunities for discussion away.

It's a big bad world out there, and not everyone is going to agree with you - and guess what, people? That's absolutely fine. The world would be a boring place if everyone agreed on everything.
I haven't met a single pro-safe space person yet and I would consider myself surrounded by millennials. I do think it's a very small minority who believe that they are a good concept. I believe it's one of those things where the people in the minority are more vocal and therefore trick people into thinking that most young people stand by this "u learning chinese is cultural appropriation!!!1!!1" trend.
I agree. Far-right authoritarian politics appeals to a feminine mindset; it's based on a hysterical desire for order, structure and safety this is in contrast a violent second world ghetto or places like Syria and Somalia where only the manliest men survive.
Aren't people entering universities now not even classified as millennials? Doesn't that roughly end around the mid 90's?
PRSOM.

"Free speech means I need to be able to say whatever I want, but no-one should ever ever call me a racist, because that makes me feel bad."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Progressive social engineering, Nazi social cleansing and Christian witch-burnings are all expressions of the same modes of thinking and can be grouped as such and this sort of violence is a world away from more masculine expressions such as the pioneers pushing out west in America, Christopher Columbus' exploits in the South America and Somali pirates taking their chances to capture fortune at the expense of fat arrogant Westerners.

Modern White Nationalists and Progressives are taking part in the same style of thinking which is simply being expressed in differing ways.
Original post by coup+detat
This is what happens when men don't go to war for generations.

Vietnam was just over 1 generation ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think plenty of people from various generations need to grow up, not just ours.

Safe spaces in places of education are honestly the saddest thing. One of the few places people can speak their minds and know that their input is being used to progress and improve our quality of life, and people are trying to halt that???

Plis refer to my profile picture to see my response.
Original post by 0xFFFFail
Aren't people entering universities now not even classified as millennials? Doesn't that roughly end around the mid 90's?

The generation after millennials will be right-wing.

Original post by Mathemagicien
You honestly think Somalia or Syria currently are better places to live (for the average citizen) than Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, the USSR, China, even North Korea?

It's a bad question because there are additional factors which also influence the salient quality of life such as the level of social development and access to education. It's also poor because there are other societies such as the USA which is more masculine compared with European nation states and manages to be far more dynamic and creative than non-entity countries such as Sweden and the Irish Republic.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yes, I admit it was a bad question. Well done for spotting it.

Okay, how about comparing the rapid development that totalitarian societies have, compared to anarchic societies? Like how most of Asia developed, compared to how Africa developed?

I never actually said that masculine societies were innately superior, I simply find it ironic that the progressive school of thought fails to recognise that Nazi Germany was built in a way which appealed to a feminine mindset. Healthy societies tend to have a balance of different types of thinkers. I would consider the lack of development in China over the past 1,000 or years excluding the latter half of the last century and their failure to colonise other countries in the same way European nation states managed to, to be an expression of stagnant feminine thinking. It's no coincidence that the first person to inspire a revolution in China was not Han but a European Jewish Atheist.
Original post by 0xFFFFail

I think the very latest someone can be classed as a millennial (because the dates given vary) is about 2000.
Reply 16
Original post by anarchism101
PRSOM.

"Free speech means I need to be able to say whatever I want, but no-one should ever ever call me a racist, because that makes me feel bad."

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it means if you think someone is a racists you should fight them with truth instead of trying to silence them or shut down a speech.

Also calling people racist is shamelessly abused by the Left. They will call anyone who does not fall into line full step according to their presumed reality about race relations and inequality a racist. Calling someone a racist without evidence of racism is free speech also. So I support the right to do it, even if it does make them A-holes.
Original post by l'etranger
The generation after millennials will be right-wing.

That's unlikely, the most recent research says that millennials are surprisingly centrist as a result of living through 9/11 and the 08 financial crisis, and we've seen the right wing emergence in youths in mainland Europe so all the signs point to a left wing or centrist next generation.

We're the first generation that has had a worse life than our parents, what we get paid buys less and to get to that pay we have to work much, much harder because the internet and prominence of computers otherwise allows for distribution of a lot more information. Then there's the massive amount of content that it has led to being added on top of what our parents learned originally, and yet we still have to do a bachelor's degree on top of that because everyone else is doing one, and a master's because everyone has a bachelor's. All while getting higher grades in those qualifications, higher grades which are just as difficult to attain as they used to be if you actually look into it.

Our kids' generation, it's going to be interesting, they're going to be raised by people who don't really take risks, who worked their ass off because that was the standard, who don't really have savings. That would likely end up with them being similar to us but realistically their grandparents or great grandparents are going to screw them over. They're going to grow up in a world which decided to reject migrants instead of develop housing which the core population needed anyway, which enacted budget cuts in a time when everyone knows that spending is key to a strong economy.

They're going to be left wing, and it's going to be revolutionary.
Original post by MildredMalone
I think the very latest someone can be classed as a millennial (because the dates given vary) is about 2000.

See, I have an issue with that, what does someone like me who was born in 1998 got in common with someone born in 1990? Or even earlier?
Original post by ckingalt
This is a criticism often leveled at the majority of youth occupying today's universities. The implementation of safe spaces, and trigger warnings are some examples of the behaviors cited. There also seems to be a prevailing leftist campaign to shut down any contradictory rhetoric. What ever happened to universities being institutions that explore alternative viewpoints? Too many modern students want to be protected from ideas instead of challenged by them.

Does anyone consider these attitudes and behaviors to be a positive development?

It annoys the hell out of me when people say they need to have trigger warnings. Trauma trigger only happens if you have PTSD. A lot of whiny girls says this to get more attention even though the most traumatic event they've ever experienced is having a guy send them a dick pic on Tinder...:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending