The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Accommodation

Hi, next year I will be going to reading university to study Primary Education with Mathematics. I am now applying for accommodation, I would like it to be self catered and within walking distance from the academic campus, any suggestions?
Original post by johnfIII
Hi, next year I will be going to reading university to study Primary Education with Mathematics. I am now applying for accommodation, I would like it to be self catered and within walking distance from the academic campus, any suggestions?

Hey!

Great to hear that you will be coming to Reading next year!
So, as you may be aware, the majority of Primary Ed classes are taken on the London Road Campus which is approximately a mile from the center of our main Whiteknights Campus.

I would recommend that you consider looking at the following self catered halls:

Benyon - Part of the Nourthcourt group of halls. Which are slightly off campus and therefore closer to the London Road campus. Benyon has 369 self-catered standard ensuite rooms available.

Sherfield - Also part of the Northcourt Group. Sherfield has 336 self-catered ensuite rooms available.

St. Georges - St. Georges is also just off campus and marginally closer to London Road than the Northcourt Halls. St. Georges has both self-catered ensuite (295 rooms) and shared bathroom (107 rooms) rooms available.

Mackinder - Part of the Park Group of halls. These are closer to the center of the main Whiteknights Campus but if you are interested in premium ensuite rooms then Mackinder offers the closest option to London Road. 563 self-catered premium ensuite rooms on offer.

To find out more information about room types and accommodation in general please see the PDF guide that I have linked: http://www.reading.ac.uk/~/media/files/other/accommodation%20guide.ashx?la=en

This map also shows the location of the halls. It measures walking distance to the center of the main campus however you can get an understanding for where each of the halls are. Those that I have recommended are on the North and East sides of campus as this provides the easiest access to London Road. http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/accommodation/Walking_distances_to_halls.pdf

I hope that wasn't an overload of information! If you have any more questions then please feel free to let us know.

Dan :smile:
First Year Student Ambassador
(edited 7 years ago)
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the help. I couldn't find the map so that link is especially useful.

I was also wondering if there is a noticable difference between the halls with the 'quieter lifestyle' box checked/unchecked?
Original post by johnfIII
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the help. I couldn't find the map so that link is especially useful.

I was also wondering if there is a noticable difference between the halls with the 'quieter lifestyle' box checked/unchecked?

Hey

Glad that I could help.

Regarding the quieter lifestyle option, when you make your accommodation selection you can opt to be placed with other residents who would also like a quieter lifestyle. This helps to avoid any complete personality clashes.

Halls where these areas are available show the QL box - this does not mean that everyone in the hall will have to adhere to this lifestyle just that those who wish to can be placed in an area with others who share the same desire.

Dan :smile:
First Year Student Ambassador
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply, starting to get to grips with this now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi John,

Have you thought about living off campus?
We're about 25 minutes away campus, but if that's too long for you, we're doing a promotion at Central Studios Reading where if you book a room on a 51 week basis you'll receive a bus pass for the whole academic year, so you wouldn't actually need to spend any money on your travels, plus you'd be in central Reading!
Our flats are all self catered en-suite studio apartments, here's a link: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/central-studios-reading/
Hope to hear from you!

Nora@CSR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending