The Student Room Logo
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
This thread is closed

Durham Applicants 2008 Thread

Scroll to see replies

generalignorance
Does anyone know much about the College?

I know lots about the college. What would you like to know specifically?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Still nothing

Had a dream that i got in last night. Not the college i wanted (it was a college that backed onto lake Geneva..... i did say it was a dream) but i woke up and thought it was real.

But nope. Zilch. Nada. Grrrrr
Reply 2582
:frown: Not much of March left now, they have to tell you soon! Chin up!
The longer i wait the more i think that its not actually a good sign. So many people have already had their law offers.... :frown:
swiss_fairy
I'm really sorry to hear that - good luck with York

Thanks good luck with Durham I hope you get in :smile:
Reply 2585
Don't lose hope swiss_fairy! They may just be admiring you application... :biggrin:
Hahahahahahaaaa Reblet - you do make me laugh!

I have no repping power - but i'm going to give you some anyway :biggrin:
Reply 2587
Yaaay! Neutral rep is fun! :biggrin:

We need to arrange a date for the naked cancan... although it's a bit bloody cold in Durham...
I promise one day when i actually have repping power i'll properly rep you cos that really did make me laugh!

I'm in Paris this weekend so no cancaning this weekend....

But deff soon!

And when/if i get in to Durham too we'll have to meet up and cancan regularly!
apotheosis
Insert applicable expletive that would only get astericked out if I wrote it.

Have just got back from my open days. And...I really didn't like it. Either the college or the department (although I did like our tutorial). And it's very hard to put my finger on exactly why.

I am so frustrated and worried! I'd basically settled on Durham in my mind and now I have no idea what to do because it's still good on paper for English and I could have just had a random bad vibe, but on the other hand I don't know if it's worth taking the risk and going to a uni that I end up not enjoying.

:confused:

Really not happy now.

the same thing happened to me at exactly the same college:frown: so now I'm in the same situation as you except the universities Ive also got offers from dont have the same reputationas durham. Did you not just get the feeling that the college felt quite small and restrcitive (just one tiny bar...)
Reply 2590
swiss_fairy - if you're in Paris then that's the perfect place for naked cancaning!
Then indeed - i SHALL dance the naked cancan in paris!!!

And send the pictured to Durham admissions threatening a repeat if they dont let me in :biggrin:
Reply 2592
Sorry I'm not quoting but quite a few people asked questions so will just try to answer them in this post.

I'm finding it quite difficult to articulate exactly what I didn't like about the college. MagpieRhino, I don't think that was the problem I had with it so much. I felt very isolated, though, and I KNOW that's to be expected to some extent but at any other open days I've been to (or other similar being thrown in at the deep end events), I've at least found somebody to talk to who I click with and get on with, but I talked to a lot of people and was unable to sustain a decent conversation. That's one thing that I have to think about - whether that really and truly is just the open day situation that makes it difficult to make any connections (plus also makes everybody fixated on just getting pissed and act like being clever is the worst thing in the world). Plus, and this wouldn't affect me much if it was the only thing, but does have a cumulative effect, I found out that there would be 4 people at Trevs from my year at the school I went to before 6th form, which I genuinely hated because it was an intellectual hothouse that just turned mediocre people into clones that could recite the periodic table or whatever else would pass them an exam.

Right.

Department-wise, it wasn't all bad. I really did love the tutorial - that was really interesting and I enjoyed the style. The lectures were ok, but I had a mixed reaction to them (from really enjoying one to almost falling asleep in another). My main issue was the lack of flexibility in the course. I know that it looks like there is because you get quite a lot of choice, but even then quite a lot of it is forced, and I was looking at the 2nd/3rd year options and getting extremely stuck with what I would want to do out of the options given. Also, I cannot believe that a module entitled "Introduction to Drama" doesn't include any Shakespeare.

Right. And here is why I liked the sound of Durham so much beforehand.
a) The reputation and especially the top spot for English (understanding that league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt - but clearly it's excellent and I am very much a pursuer of excellence).
b) The collegiate system. Seemed more community-esque and friendly.
c) The sound of the city - I'm not keen at all on the club scene, so it sounded like Durham had the right atmosphere for me.
d) I like the idea of university towns, where there is obviously a town but the university is a large presence.

Yes.

ETA: I don't think I had an issue with having overly high expectations, because I feel like if anything, I would have been forgiving because I was so set on it. Don't know if that's true though.
Reply 2593
apotheosis
Sorry I'm not quoting but quite a few people asked questions so will just try to answer them in this post.

I'm finding it quite difficult to articulate exactly what I didn't like about the college. MagpieRhino, I don't think that was the problem I had with it so much. I felt very isolated, though, and I KNOW that's to be expected to some extent but at any other open days I've been to (or other similar being thrown in at the deep end events), I've at least found somebody to talk to who I click with and get on with, but I talked to a lot of people and was unable to sustain a decent conversation. That's one thing that I have to think about - whether that really and truly is just the open day situation that makes it difficult to make any connections (plus also makes everybody fixated on just getting pissed and act like being clever is the worst thing in the world). Plus, and this wouldn't affect me much if it was the only thing, but does have a cumulative effect, I found out that there would be 4 people at Trevs from my year at the school I went to before 6th form, which I genuinely hated because it was an intellectual hothouse that just turned mediocre people into clones that could recite the periodic table or whatever else would pass them an exam.

Right.

Department-wise, it wasn't all bad. I really did love the tutorial - that was really interesting and I enjoyed the style. The lectures were ok, but I had a mixed reaction to them (from really enjoying one to almost falling asleep in another). My main issue was the lack of flexibility in the course. I know that it looks like there is because you get quite a lot of choice, but even then quite a lot of it is forced, and I was looking at the 2nd/3rd year options and getting extremely stuck with what I would want to do out of the options given. Also, I cannot believe that a module entitled "Introduction to Drama" doesn't include any Shakespeare.

Right. And here is why I liked the sound of Durham so much beforehand.
a) The reputation and especially the top spot for English (understanding that league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt - but clearly it's excellent and I am very much a pursuer of excellence).
b) The collegiate system. Seemed more community-esque and friendly.
c) The sound of the city - I'm not keen at all on the club scene, so it sounded like Durham had the right atmosphere for me.
d) I like the idea of university towns, where there is obviously a town but the university is a large presence.

Yes.

ETA: I don't think I had an issue with having overly high expectations, because I feel like if anything, I would have been forgiving because I was so set on it. Don't know if that's true though.

I felt much the same about Trevs (i've since moved to Van Mildert).

The colleges are pretty good with moving applicants - as long as you pick one you think will have spaces. So don't try Castle :wink:

But remember, if Durham isn't for you... It just aint for you.

Its my insurance, but you can't really do that with an english offer eh? :wink:
Reply 2594
mhsc
I felt much the same about Trevs (i've since moved to Van Mildert).

The colleges are pretty good with moving applicants - as long as you pick one you think will have spaces. So don't try Castle :wink:

But remember, if Durham isn't for you... It just aint for you.

Its my insurance, but you can't really do that with an english offer eh? :wink:

Oh, I won't have an insurance anyway because I'm on a gap year, so all my offers are unconditional.

I've wondered about changing colleges. But I'm starting to panic about time, because I need to sort out everything before I go travelling in about a month, and I don't think I have the time or the money to come up and look around at other colleges - but from this experience, I know I don't want to go to a college without having been there!
Reply 2595
Well you have to decide by 6 May anyway, don't you? Or is it different for unconditionals? :ninja:
Crap, my father is moving to Paris, but of course, this week, I can't go by there, lol, we could have danced a bit together :biggrin:.

And OF COURSE, still nothing for me.
Are there really that many applicants to read Russian and/or Arabic ? I didn't think those departments were that large, loool ^^.
Reply 2597
aptheosis - I'm guessing the mini lectures were a similar way round to mine (1st one of ode to a Grecian urn - not the best one to pick for an open day! 2nd one hilarious and fascinating jekyll and hyde one?) Anyway at any uni you'll have interesting and less interesting lecturers, it's just Durham actually let you experience them before you go! The tutorial/ seminar/ lecture thing at Durham does sound amazing in terms of getting the most out of the syllabus. Over the whole "Shakespeare thing" - he gets a whole shiny compulsorary module either in 2nd or 3rd year depending which you fancy. I think it's good to have a mix of playwrights without trying to compare them to Shakey (who obvs is in a league of his own). This module and (I think)two others are "forced" in 2nd and 3rd year which trust me is very flexible compared to lots of places! I can't quite understand what put you off the department so much unless you were extrapolating the the negative feelings from the college?
You can always switch college as someone else suggested, and although you might not want to go somewhere you've never visited, when you get halls at Bristol/ StAndy's that's effectively what will happen anyway. E-mail a few places and see if you can swap colleges. It shouldn't take long to find out if you can (i.e. a week-ish to find somewhere with a space and be released from the old college) If you can swap then re-consider Durham in a more rational light, if not then just think at least you gave it a second chance.
I know lots of people found the Open Days tough as it was a very forced sort of situation. There was a lot of emphasis on alcohol because people were nervous, they were away from home and let loose and because the reps want to prove Durham isn't necessarily a quiet little northern city! When real freshers' week comes it will be weird at first at any uni but you'll soon fall in with people you're similar to. Just think that you were so set on Durham before the Open Days, what if you went to somewhere you were less enamoured with initially and it turned out to be just the same? At least you have a chance to do something about what bothers you at Durham before your decision.
Anyway you have offers from extremely good unis, none would be worse than Durham and all would look incredible on a CV so whatever decision you make it'll all be fine in the end. Just make sure you're not dismissing Durham simply because the people at Trev's were slightly different to what you expected and because there were people from your past there. My friend went to the Trev's open day last year and hated it (literally, she rang me on the night to ask if she could come and see me at VM in tears!) and now she's there and loves it. Thank goodness you've had the opportunity to see Durham in this new light before you firmed it though! haha. Anyway sorry for the essay, I just hate to see a fellow English app stressing. All will be well. :biggrin:
Reply 2598
I guess its just not the Irish that they hate, but the French also. But only enough to torture you by making you wait a ridiculous amount of time.

Have you tried just ringing them Anatheme? If its a male and you have a sexy french accent i'm sure you can find out the decision over the phone (if its been made already) :ninja:
Lol, my accent would be crap as I would be too stressed to speak a proper English. It'd be something like "Elô, ame colingue iou tou no eef maï applikécheune 'aze bin riceevd baï eu Collèïdje orrr eef ame rijekted"...
(Hello, I'm calling you to know if my application has been received by a College or if I'm rejected)

I doubt they would understand anything, even my accent is French, lol. Plus if I call someone, it'd probably be Mrs Shepherd, and she's (unfortunately ?) not a male, lol.

Latest