The Student Room Group

UGHHHHH GCSEs

Hey, I've got my GCSE options form due in on Tuesday and I'm still wondering whether to take French or Latin....
Anyone know which one is more useful/credited and worth taking?
I'm equally good at both and predicted 9s (A*) in both....
The other subjects I'm taking are:
English Lit + English Language
Maths
Biology + Chemistry + Physics
Spanish
Geography
Electronics
Reply 1
From past experience I have always had a struggle learning French, due to the fact it gets harder along the way, however with Latin grammar is not involved as much and if you just learn the vocab you will be fine. For Latin, you will have to learn set texts (I am not sure for the new 9-1 course though). Overall, I would take Latin as I find it easier, however that is just personal opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
What is it that you're interested in studying at University?
What language is it that you enjoy more?
I would say it wholly depends on what you are interested in that'll weigh up what language would be more suitable. You could use French to work in France/with French companies etc which can definitely open up a lot of doors. Latin would be of course a huge help if you're going to be studying a subject where Latin makes up part of the course.
If you find that neither language particularly fits in with what you're wanting to be doing then I'd say to just go for what one you enjoy doing more. I would assume that French would open more doors for you, but we never got the option to study Latin where I am and it's not something related to my prospective career.

Quick Reply

Latest