The Student Room Group

Is being born a white western woman the ultimate form of privilege?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jackie-Chan-Baby
So by pretending to be a white woman by having one in your avatar therefore trying to install the thought into everyone that they are the gold standard basically you're confirming what I said is right then.

That's quite a well known actress she has as her avatar, not her fault you're a social recluse
yes
So by pretending to be a white woman by having one in your avatar therefore trying to install the thought into everyone that they are the gold standard basically you're confirming what I said is right then.

.....well that escalated quickly. :rofl:

Ah, another troll reported. :h:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
.....well that escalated quickly. :rofl:

Ah, another troll reported. :h:

Yes everything you dislike is a troll.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol trolls seem to love you.

They do. :rofl: :rofl:
Reply 25
So you simply refuse to admit you have any sort of intrinsic privilege in society due to your race and gender?

I refuse to admit it because it's not true. As simple as that. There hasn't been any situation in my life that has given me an advantage because I'm white. :lol:

I'm from Eastern Europe. Find someone who is from the Western part and ask them about it if you're so frustrated about white women's nonexistent privileges.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC
I refuse to admit it because it's not true. As simple as that. There hasn't been any situation in my life that has given me an advantage because I'm white. :lol:

I'm from Eastern Europe. Find someone who is from the Western part and ask them about it if you're so frustrated about white women's nonexistent privileges who live there.

You wouldn't notice it of course because it would be the kind of thing you take for granted without really considering it, that's what privilege is.
Yes everything you dislike is a troll.

Hmm, yeah sure. If it helps you sleep at night, petal. :kiss:
Hmm, yeah sure. If it helps you sleep at night, petal. :kiss:

This low level is discourse is beneath me I'm not even gonna bother with you anymore white woman worshiper, go back to dying your hair blonde and wearing green contacts.
Reply 29
You wouldn't notice it of course because it would be the kind of thing you take for granted without really considering it, that's what privilege is.

At least give some examples of what you consider privileges for women.
This low level is discourse is beneath me I'm not even gonna bother with you anymore white woman worshiper, go back to dying your hair blonde and wearing green contacts.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Have you finally gone senile?
Original post by EC
At least give some examples of what you consider privileges for women.

You can slap a man in public- and everyone will assume it's his fault.
You are assumed to be more fragile- people are probably more willing to help you than they would be a man, especially if it's a physical task.

You are often not expected to be the breadwinner. Studies show that for women in more economically developed countries, having your own money is often a lifestyle choice,rather than an absolute necessity.

You will not be looked down upon or shunned for doing certain things men cannot. Crying, for example, will probably earn you more sympathy and seldom contempt.

You can give birth You can therefore be sure the child is yours; a man's paternity is not always ascertained. You will likely be granted custody of a child in the event of a divorce. Alimony payments, child support are likely to be paid to you.

You're statistically less likely to be the victim of a violent crime, which covers murder, rape, aggravated assault, simple assault, sexual assault, and robbery. Strange, but true. The irony is that women are more fearful and wary of this, and consequently expend more resources to protect themselves than men.

You're less susceptible to X-linked recessive diseases. Since males generally have only one copy of the X-chromosome if a defect exists on one gene, it cannot be masked by the second X-chromosome. Males are therefore more prone to colour-blindness, hemophilia A/B, Hunter's, etc

You're likely to live longer, whatever your age. You're more likely to survive if you're a defective foetus.

At age 18 you lose the protective status of the child but retain the protective status of the female. Boys at age 18 lose the protected status of the child and become targets if they fail to gain status after that point.

At any time I can abandon my parental responsibilities with little or no social stigma and hand the child over to the state or abort the pregnancy. A male could never relieve himself of this burden unless you allow him to.

When on a date things will be paid for you.

Lower sentences for the same crimes.

Can discriminate against the opposite sex ruthlessly without social penalty.

When you marry a man of high status you can take his name and become whoever he has spent years becoming. I need not do anything special to be worthy of receiving the reputation he has built. However, if I wish to keep my own name I can do so.

If you marry and quit your job and enjoy a leisurely life with light housework and then later divorce you will be given half of the marital assets.

Your gender enjoys more government spending on health than males do.

You can wear masculine clothing if it pleases me however men cannot wear feminine clothing without social penalty.

If you rape or molest a child you can expect lighter treatment in court and afterwards receive less social stigma. What’s more, should you become pregnant, You can sue your victim for child support when he finally turns 18.(This has actually happened.)

Just a few I thought of sure there is other stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)

I know you're a troll, but can you not see the irony in accusing her of "pretending to be a white woman" because her avatar happens to be a picture of a white woman, when your avatar is Trump? :dontknow: Surely then by your logic, you're pretending to be the President of the United States of America? :tongue:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
I know you're a troll, but can you not see the irony in accusing her of "pretending to be a white woman" because her avatar happens to be a picture of a white woman, when your avatar is Trump? :dontknow: Surely then by your logic, you're pretending to be the President of the United States of America? :tongue:

What makes you think I'm not?

When I'm not tweeting I like to talk about social issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
Could it be because I'm not white? Huh? :h:

I dunno, you probably have some of that lightskin privilege :sly:
Original post by l'etranger
I dunno, you probably have some of that lightskin privilege :sly:

Huh?
Yes.

Not only are you privileged but you have somehow convinced the 21st century you're oppressed. If that isnt ultimate privilege, I dont know what is.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Ummmmmm I'd say being born a Muslim Black Gay Transgender Female in Somalia would be the ultimate form of privilege ://////

Why bring somalia into this? Say saudi arabia or along those countries not an independent african nation.
Reply 38
1. You can slap a man in public- and everyone will assume it's his fault.
2. You are assumed to be more fragile- people are probably more willing to help you than they would be a man, especially if it's a physical task.

3. You are often not expected to be the breadwinner. Studies show that for women in more economically developed countries, having your own money is often a lifestyle choice,rather than an absolute necessity.

4. You will not be looked down upon or shunned for doing certain things men cannot. Crying, for example, will probably earn you more sympathy and seldom contempt.

5. You can give birth You can therefore be sure the child is yours; a man's paternity is not always ascertained. You will likely be granted custody of a child in the event of a divorce. Alimony payments, child support are likely to be paid to you.

6. You're statistically less likely to be the victim of a violent crime, which covers murder, rape, aggravated assault, simple assault, sexual assault, and robbery. Strange, but true. The irony is that women are more fearful and wary of this, and consequently expend more resources to protect themselves than men.

7. You're less susceptible to X-linked recessive diseases. Since males generally have only one copy of the X-chromosome if a defect exists on one gene, it cannot be masked by the second X-chromosome. Males are therefore more prone to colour-blindness, hemophilia A/B, Hunter's, etc

8. You're likely to live longer, whatever your age. You're more likely to survive if you're a defective foetus.

9. At age 18 you lose the protective status of the child but retain the protective status of the female. Boys at age 18 lose the protected status of the child and become targets if they fail to gain status after that point.

10. At any time I can abandon my parental responsibilities with little or no social stigma and hand the child over to the state or abort the pregnancy. A male could never relieve himself of this burden unless you allow him to.

11. When on a date things will be paid for you.

12. Lower sentences for the same crimes.

13. Can discriminate against the opposite sex ruthlessly without social penalty.

14. When you marry a man of high status you can take his name and become whoever he has spent years becoming. I need not do anything special to be worthy of receiving the reputation he has built. However, if I wish to keep my own name I can do so.

15. If you marry and quit your job and enjoy a leisurely life with light housework and then later divorce you will be given half of the marital assets.

16. Your gender enjoys more government spending on health than males do.

17. You can wear masculine clothing if it pleases me however men cannot wear feminine clothing without social penalty.

18. If you rape or molest a child you can expect lighter treatment in court and afterwards receive less social stigma. What’s more, should you become pregnant, You can sue your victim for child support when he finally turns 18.(This has actually happened.)

Just a few I thought of sure there is other stuff.

These are interesting points - but they all stem from gender stereotypes. I'll explain my thoughts on these, but not all of them, as time is sacred and I also have work that I'm procrastinating (heavily)

Let me refer to all of your points by number, for easier reference.

1. The reason why people react so dramatically to men hitting women is due to how we VIEW men and women. Let me start off this response by defining a few characteristics we attribute to either sex, or consider favourable:
Men - Strong, powerful, authoritative, dominant, smart, able, rational
Women - Weak, gentle, submissive, demure, emotional, incompetent.
You may agree or disagree with this - but be aware that is merely an OBSERVATION and an OPINION, and my observations and opinions are not to be taken as truths that are 100% true. Instead, try to view it from my point of view (A woman of colour from a working class background), which will enable you to see why I have these observations.

So, it can be said that people are seemingly complicit with women attacking men as a result of the stereotypes that either sex is associated with. Women are seen as weak and men are seen as strong (to generalise, to put it simply), so people are okay with this, as they may see it as the woman defending herself, when the actuality of the situation may differ.

It's an interesting point to consider that violence directed to women by men may also be a display of power in some instances, again due to the stereotypes enforced and potentially male hormones (an issue for another day!). Since a lot of men are used to being naturally dominant in this world, some feel the need to be dominant in their personal relationships, leading to a variety of types of abuse. Obviously, this dominance complex is not found only in men and is not found in all men, which is why I like this point as a theoretical explanation rather than a more truthful explanation.

2. There are many frustrating things in this world. Loud breathers, paper cuts, stubbing a toe. One of the most annoying things in my day to day life is the assumption that I am physically and mentally weak, and therefore incapable of doing things on my own, for myself, just because I happen to be a female.
In reality, the opposite is true. I'm physically strong for my height and build, and I'm one of the most persevering, rational people I know. I also know that I am not an anomaly in this.

While it may be beneficial at times to get people to do stuff for you, I, as do many other women, hate the feeling of being undermined and underestimated. That is the key point here. Yes, other women have taken advantage of this form of prejudice, but it doesn't mean they benefit from it psychologically.

3. I think this is partly biological. Women, at present, are generally the only ones who give birth to children and consequently tend have the most care giving abilities - one example being breast feeding. There is an acknowledgement of the fact that women could be subject to care giving etc, so people don't expect women to work as a result of that.

However, I don't think that's the case so much anymore. As paternity pay becomes more popular in a growing number of countries, it is evident that women are being respected as bread winners and main income earners at an increasing rate. Growing up, I lived in a household where my mother was the main income earner while my dad worked mainly part-time. That is not an uncommon experience nowdays.

4. This is a trick point! There are many things women are frowned upon or seen differently for doing that men aren't, and vice versa. Examples:
Certain career sectors, e.g. construction, engineering, typically more masculine sectors
Being assertive (a big one in my lifetime)
Sleeping around
etc.
And most of those, again, are attributed to gender stereotypes.
As I mentioned earlier, as a general rule, men are seen as stronger and women are seen as weak. Yes, people tend to tell men to "man up" when being seen crying, or are often ignored at times of vulnerability. But, this doesn't mean women benefit from this. I've seen women get called attention seekers, crazy, psycho, etc, from displaying their emotions in a certain way (ok i'm tired of this point pretend i said more good stuff)

5. I agree male feelings should be considered within the decision making process of this area of things.
However, it is equally important, if not more so, to consider the fact that childbirth is NOT a privilege. Many women can die from this; it is a highly tiring and labour intensive process for the body, and the mind. You could also say that women deserve the child because of the pain they went through for 9 months and immediately after.
That would be a partially problematic statement to make, as we all know that some mothers do not deserve their child as they have no feelings or respect for their child. I think the reason why women often have more child contact time is because of the fact that women are expected to be the primary caregiver, collectively throughout the minds of people in society, so lenience in terms of child custody tends to sway this way.
In terms of alimony payments, I believe they're outdated since they were only introduced as women often didn't have the skills to get a job to support themselves independently, but increasingly so this is not the case. (I may be wrong about the origin of alimony payments)

6. How is that a privilege? How is it a privilege that we FEEL the need to protect ourselves and as a result of that put measures in place to ensure we feel, and are, safe? That is as a result of violence against women that we feel the need to protect ourselves against,
The relationship between who privileges and who loses in this situation is blurred. There are less resources such as rape crisis centres, DV services targeted at men, but on the other hand it's not a good thing that women felt the need to erect these services to feel safe. It says something about the treatment and feelings of women that aren't always easy to demonstrate by words.

7. Valid point to which I have no rebuttal

8. This is a complex topic with many different contributing factors I'd enjoy to discuss with anyone who is interested as a personal conversation.
I will briefly outline SOME what I have observed:
- Males can procreate many times within a short space of time, women cannot, life expectancy differences could be considered an evolutionary advantage
- Various biological factors on a smaller scale (XX vs XY stability, mild iron deficiency)
- Men are (probably) more likely to use alcohol on a regular basis, especially in places with high income inequality
I'd conclude that the environmental factors could outweigh the genetic factors in this case, though.

I'm not going to talk any more about your points, but instead the original question posed: "Is being born a white western woman the ultimate form of privilege?"

I'm sure from above you can see why I think being a woman is not a privilege. I also think that there is data out there to support my thoughts, and I shall scour the internet for some should you want to see it.

But, it's important to note that in terms of women alone, being a white western woman IS often the highest form of privilege.

Okay, I'm completely out of beans now. I'm all explained out, I can't procrastinate anymore!!! Hopefully you will make sense of some of what I've said and be able to see things from my point of view as well as your own, helping you make a more balanced conclusion on your original question :smile:
Original post by AHSOHPIJSK
Why bring somalia into this? Say saudi arabia or along those countries not an independent african nation.

I mean it's not as though Somalia execute gay people but whatever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending