Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to send text messages from any number of your choice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was mildly shocked when I came across a piece of software for mobile phones that allows you to send a text message to anybody which appears to come from a number of your choice.

Think for a second about what that means. It is now possible to send a text message from your phone, to Person A which arrives as a perfectly normal looking text from Person B. All you need to know is both peoples mobile phone number.

The software works - I've played about with it a bit. I've not done anything nasty but think about the scope for havoc. It isn't free, it costs about £12 to get the software and get 100 credits (1.5 credits is the price of sending a message to a UK phone).

The software is available here:

http://www.simeda.com/smsxtender.html

ReputationRep:
    Oh my lord. Just imagine it. That is so intense. I want one dammit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    Oh my lord. Just imagine it. That is so intense. I want one dammit
    If you have a recentish phone chances are you can get it. I still can't quite believe it's possible to do it. When someone gets a text message from 07********* it's always been known it came from 07*********. Increasingly, that is not going to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    That's really quite a bad advancement in technology :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    If you have a recentish phone chances are you can get it. I still can't quite believe it's possible to do it. When someone gets a text message from 07********* it's always been known it came from 07*********. Increasingly, that is not going to be the case.
    I am actually really tempted to invest Although the whole concept is quite scary when you think about it. I am going to be lying in bed tonight just contemplating what I could do with that little beauty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innercitylife)
    That's really quite a bad advancement in technology :/
    I'd agree. Although it's worth me saying you can protect your number for £6. If you pay the £6 any messages sent using the service to your number will start with (SMSX) followed by the message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    I am actually really tempted to invest Although the whole concept is quite scary when you think about it. I am going to be lying in bed tonight just contemplating what I could do with that little beauty
    It's a lot of fun but likes many things can be used in bad ways too. It is also possible to send txt messages from names as opposed to numbers... so you can text someone and it will appear to come from God, the The Devil.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot of fun but likes many things can be used in bad ways too. It is also possible to send txt messages from names as opposed to numbers... so you can text someone and it will appear to come from God, the The Devil.
    It sounds soo cool!

If only i had the money.

ReputationRep:
    You could have such fun with that

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, thats quite hilarious. Although that might send some people into the nearest mental hospital

ReputationRep:
    Imagine how many peoples lives will be screwed up this. How delightful
    The same with e-mail is also fun, thats been around for a while.

W.

ReputationRep:
    I want it but I'd probably need a new phone. I could piss about with so many people's love lives.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I imagine though that when a message from the service is received, the number will come up in full (07*********) instead of the name associated with that number on the recipients phone.

ReputationRep:
    There was site with that on years ago for free so the technology is not new. I had some fun with it untill they took it offline.

Jow

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had a text sent to their home phone?

What a laugh that is - the stupid thing continues to ring you with the message even after you've deleted it!

Plus, there's nothing more ridiculous than a txt msg being read out in a R-O-B-O-T voice lol

ReputationRep:
    I was mildly shocked when I came across a piece of software for mobile phones that allows you to send a text message to anybody which appears to come from a number of your choice.

Think for a second about what that means. It is now possible to send a text message from your phone, to Person A which arrives as a perfectly normal looking text from Person B. All you need to know is both peoples mobile phone number.

The software works - I've played about with it a bit. I've not done anything nasty but think about the scope for havoc. It isn't free, it costs about £12 to get the software and get 100 credits (1.5 credits is the price of sending a message to a UK phone).

The software is available here:

http://www.simeda.com/smsxtender.html
    Is it just me or do these posts read kind of like an advert??

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you reply to the message it will go to the persons real phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonnaB041986)
    Is it just me or do these posts read kind of like an advert??

Donna
    -x-
    Nah its not just you. When I was writing the post I realised it sounded like a advert. But I presumed given the fact I'm not some total random poster and I've used the forums for well over a year, people would know it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Surely if you reply to the message it will go to the persons real phone?
    Yes it would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I imagine though that when a message from the service is received, the number will come up in full (07*********) instead of the name associated with that number on the recipients phone.
    No - if the number is saved in the phonebook it was come up as coming from that contact, eg the name will appear as in the phonebook instead of the number showing.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.