Turn on thread page Beta

How to send text messages from any number of your choice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Yes it would.
    In a way that spoils it, but in another it's very reassuring!

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree. Although it's worth me saying you can protect your number for £6. If you pay the £6 any messages sent using the service to your number will start with (SMSX) followed by the message.
    that is so wrong.
    someone could send a terror threat to their own phone from someones and get their house searched and them arrested?

but oh, its fine because anyone can pay money and theyre safe..

thats awful! lol

ReputationRep:
    tht could be really bad people cud use it to bully people

ReputationRep:
    mwa-haha...thats so evil. i can't really think of a way that could be used that'd be good and have no bad intentions....i can just imagine the friendships that could be ruined forever by this....ooooo and jealous ex boyfriends/girlfriends could have a field day making their ex's life hell....and bullies could also use this to be very nasty....scary stuff....and even scarier still is that fact that text messages have such power!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    that is so wrong.
    someone could send a terror threat to their own phone from someones and get their house searched and them arrested?

but oh, its fine because anyone can pay money and theyre safe..

thats awful! lol
    Well lets not get carried away. The message appears to come from any number as far as the end user in concerned. However the network operators will be fully aware of where the message came from - eg the source (Smsxtender) on the internet.

The message only appears to come from any source, it doesn't actually. I could send a message from your number, but it wouldn't be billed to you therefore it didn't originate from you.

ReputationRep:
    Well lets not get carried away. The message appears to come from any number as far as the end user in concerned. However the network operators will be fully aware of where the message came from - eg the source (Smsxtender) on the internet.

The message only appears to come from any source, it doesn't actually. I could send a message from your number, but it wouldn't be billed to you therefore it didn't originate from you.
    I am surprised the network operators permit such a service to exist. It is technically impossible for a phone to send a forged SMS through the standard message centres, as the relavent control codes are automatically stripped away. Equally not just anyone can send SIM Update messages.

This service must operate its own message center, either using the SMS protocol itself, or possibly over WAP or the like. That message center has to then be connected to the networks, to allow the messages to reach their destination. I am surprised the networks agree to connect such a message center to their networks.

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean my mates can ask girls out without my mates knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Does this mean my mates can ask girls out without my mates knowledge?
    Indeed it does!

Was reading one suggestion on Esato.com about texting a girl from 'God' and saying ask out Person X, and when (if) they don't act, text them from their own number saying well if you won't listen to God, maybe you'll listen to yourself.

The whole system brings anyone great power (no exaggeration I'd say) and hence great responsibility. But used carefully I think it's a tool for laughs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    I am surprised the network operators permit such a service to exist. It is technically impossible for a phone to send a forged SMS through the standard message centres, as the relavent control codes are automatically stripped away. Equally not just anyone can send SIM Update messages.

This service must operate its own message center, either using the SMS protocol itself, or possibly over WAP or the like. That message center has to then be connected to the networks, to allow the messages to reach their destination. I am surprised the networks agree to connect such a message center to their networks.
    Yea you need a phone/tariff capable of full GPRS internet (not just WAP) access. It doesn't go through a standard message centre as such.

The networks are making money so don't expect them to stop! And at the end of the day... is it really any different to writing a letter and signing it from another person??

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.