Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Path to a CS degree for a 20-something with no formal qualifications? watch

ReputationRep:
    [removed]

ReputationRep:
    You might need to get GCSE Maths and English to start with, this is one thing uni's(in England at least) can be pretty religious about. There's also (I believe) a SWAP STEM course that can lead onto a Computer Science degree.

Another option would be to self-learn A-levels and sit the exams as a private candidate. Also try contacting uni admissions departments and see if they'll consider your work experience in lieu of formal qualifications. In terms of being considered a mature student your parents income is still factored in until you're over 25, unless you're estranged or have been living independently of them for 3 years. You're correct in that it's from when you start the degree itself.

The first year of a CompSci degree involves teaching people to code from scratch, if you're already doing freelance work then you're miles ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at unis offering computer science degrees that include an intergrated foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    [removed]
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Hi, have you look at the SWAP (Scottish Wider Access Programme)? They should be able to help you to access HE in Scotland.

If it's like it is here in England, you will be required to have Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent). I did an Access Course a few years ago and those without the relevant GCSE's were able to take their exams as part of the Access course so it still took just a year.

Mine was in Business and Enterprise. There wasn't a great deal of content I couldn't get my head around having worked in sales and marketing for 8 year prior to this, but it did teach me some of the theory behind everything which I needed at uni, and more importantly, the academic skills needed to progress and succeed on a degree course.

You are young (I did mine at 27) but don't be put off by the extra year studying. If I had been able to go straight into my degree without the preparation the Access Course offered, I would have really struggled.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Look at Birkbeck University of London mate. They will give you chance, maybe starting with a certificate course leading to the degree. Its a quality place that listens to cases like yours, and teaching is high quality and rigorous. It is decently ranked around 30 or so too and has amongst the highest grad salaries.

As you can see below, they will give you a shot even without formal qualifications, instead they'll administer their own test. I was similar to you, terrible a-levels, But i was given a chance, finished with a 1st and am going to Cambridge for postgrad. If you work hard there's no limit. I think with your enthusiasm and experience you could go straight into the degree.

You can also take the course part-time and work as all classes are in the evening. There is also a great social scene at the bar, as well as all the other UoL bars etc. I had an amazing time there and i was 31 when i started.
    Best of luck.

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2017/unde...es/UUBSCOMP_C/

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! I got into Teesside University for their games programming course with no qualifications at all - not even a singular GCSE - but with a portfolio of work. Also, being a mature student they were less reliant on grades.

This is the piece of work that I submitted https://github.com/RyanSwann1/SFML-CPP-Platformer

It's probably with checking with the low ranking Universities.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Falmouth University have a process for Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) for entry at undergraduate level. I have given offers to several mature students through this process onto the BSc (Hons) Computing for Games course that is offered within the Games Academy. As others have already pointed out, you would still need to evidence English and Maths ability equivalent to GCSE grade C; but, this can be incorporated into the APEL process. Likewise, a portfolio and interview would very likely also form part of the process in lieu of other missing qualifications.

The courses we offer, however, are very practical, applied, and tailored to the games industry. Our students do a lot of hands-on programming which is then contextualized within computing theory (rather than being theory focused). From the tone of your post, it sounds like you're less interested in software engineering and more interested in mathematics, data analysis, and computing theory. If so, then you should consider broadening your course search to include Data Science courses.

All the best,
    Michael

ReputationRep:
    1. [removed]

ReputationRep:
    Access to Games at Middlesbrough College or Access to Computing
    Level 3 qualification which leads onto university courses, part time

ReputationRep:
    You could always do just one year of TOU, then use this to apply for computer science at brick uni (if you only use 1 years funding, you are still eligible for full degree funding after this), this is the route I followed to get accepted to the current Uni I'm at.

Without GCSE's though I'm unsure you could even get into an access course, I think going to college to complete your GCSE's would be the best route for you personally, then apply for access and/or integrated foundation degree the year after.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.