The Student Room Group

Can i take Flucloxacilline Capsules BP by breaking them and using yogurt?

Can i take Flucloxacilline Capsules BP by breaking them and using yogurt as i have trouble taking tablets and capsules im 17 and i need to take these desperately please let me know if its okay.
Speak with a medical professional (for example, your pharmacist). If you can't, call 111, the NHS non-emergency number for advice.
Reply 2
Original post by hyjack2080
Can i take Flucloxacilline Capsules BP by breaking them and using yogurt as i have trouble taking tablets and capsules im 17 and i need to take these desperately please let me know if its okay.

Call a pharmacy tomorrow and ask them (or call 111 if it can't wait) if you haven't sorted this already. Hope you found something that works. If you haven't found a good solution yet (or future tablets), check the leaflet to see what it says about being taken with food and drink and have a think about these ideas ...

Put the tablet in the middle of a spoon-full of yoghurt/ other thick substance and swallow it straight away. (or chew up some food and shove the tablet in your mouth- bit more gross)
Get some thick or fizzy drink in your mouth then drop the tablet in, swish around a bit until you can't feel the tablet then swallow quickly before it can settle back on your tongue. This is how I used to need to take tablets.
Use something flavoured and try to avoid letting the tablet hit your lips or tongue. Uncoated tablets taste like bleep and tend to make you not want to swallow them or need to gag.
See what a pharmacist/ dr says about crushing/ dissolving the tablet.
See if you can get the dr to prescribe a type that can be crushed/ dissolved, is liquid or is easier to swallow.
Keep doing it. You get used to taking tablets so you can always practice by swallowing small bits of food so you're better at it for later. You can start small and get bigger or use nasty tasting foods to help you learn to fight the gag reflex.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest