St Andrews or Newcastle for medicine, help me decide?!?!?! Watch

cameron_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've recently had offers from these two unis, and I'm completely torn. Do any current med students have anything to weigh in that might help me decide??
Wallam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm currently at Newcastle if you have any questions on that side of things. Good city, cheap, friendly people, lots to do and lots of things to get involved with as part of the uni.

Not too much pbl, the course structure is interesting, lots of scope for moving in third and fifth year to either Carlisle, Sunderland/Durham, Middlesborough way if you fancy a change. I'd recommend it but obviously I'm fairly biased.. Let me know if you have any specific questions you want answered!
cameron_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Wallam)
I'm currently at Newcastle if you have any questions on that side of things. Good city, cheap, friendly people, lots to do and lots of things to get involved with as part of the uni.

Not too much pbl, the course structure is interesting, lots of scope for moving in third and fifth year to either Carlisle, Sunderland/Durham, Middlesborough way if you fancy a change. I'd recommend it but obviously I'm fairly biased.. Let me know if you have any specific questions you want answered!
Thanks for the info! Do you get a choice where you're placed in 3rd and 5th year or are you sent where they send you? I was also wondering how much time do you spend on placement compared to being in lectures etc in years 1 and 2. Finally, how sciency/academic would you say the course is? I know thats subjective but do you feel that there is a good emphasis in medical science, and its application?
Wallam
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cameron_)
Thanks for the info! Do you get a choice where you're placed in 3rd and 5th year or are you sent where they send you? I was also wondering how much time do you spend on placement compared to being in lectures etc in years 1 and 2. Finally, how sciency/academic would you say the course is? I know thats subjective but do you feel that there is a good emphasis in medical science, and its application?
You rank the different areas depending on your preferences and then the med school use an algorithm to try and make as many people as possible get their top choices. If you don't get your first or second choice in year 3 then you are guaranteed to get choice 1/2 in year 5. Some base units like Northumbria/tees give you a degree of choice about what hospital within the base unit you'd like to be based at whereas I don't believe you get that in wear or Newcastle itself.

I'm not the best person to ask for years 1/2 as I came through the Durham side. If it's similar (which I believe it probably is) most of the time is spent in lectures but you get a few different bits of patient contact (GP or hospital setting), regular trips to anatomy labs every week, learning clinical skills and examination every week and small group work to practice skills, discuss ideas etc every week too.

It's not too academic compared to the likes of Oxbridge courses. Second year and the first half of fourth year are probably the most intense for the medical science side but I think generally the course has a good balance between patient contact and teaching of the medical science. In the second half of fourth year you also get to select your own modules around what you're interested in and so you can tailor your course somewhat to explore your own interests which is super useful for considering potential career choices.
wubadubdub
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wallam)
You rank the different areas depending on your preferences and then the med school use an algorithm to try and make as many people as possible get their top choices. If you don't get your first or second choice in year 3 then you are guaranteed to get choice 1/2 in year 5. Some base units like Northumbria/tees give you a degree of choice about what hospital within the base unit you'd like to be based at whereas I don't believe you get that in wear or Newcastle itself.

I'm not the best person to ask for years 1/2 as I came through the Durham side. If it's similar (which I believe it probably is) most of the time is spent in lectures but you get a few different bits of patient contact (GP or hospital setting), regular trips to anatomy labs every week, learning clinical skills and examination every week and small group work to practice skills, discuss ideas etc every week too.

It's not too academic compared to the likes of Oxbridge courses. Second year and the first half of fourth year are probably the most intense for the medical science side but I think generally the course has a good balance between patient contact and teaching of the medical science. In the second half of fourth year you also get to select your own modules around what you're interested in and so you can tailor your course somewhat to explore your own interests which is super useful for considering potential career choices.
how about Sheffield? heard thyre okay
Wallam
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wubadubdub)
how about Sheffield? heard thyre okay
I have no idea.. Probably best to ask a Sheffield medic.
taysidefrog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They are very different cities and the type of students going there are quite different. St Andrews is very posh Scotland with lots of privately educated students and a beautiful but expensive city. Newcastle has a greater social mix of students and a larger busier cheaper, less beautiful but more real feeling city.
St Andrews isn't really attached to a large teaching hospital (the nearest is Ninewells hospital where Dundee med school is based) where as Newcastle is with the Freeman Hospital which is a tertiary referral centre..
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I graduated from St Andrews last year. Whilst I cannot comment on Newcastle's course, I will say that I can't fault the education St Andrews gave me, the organisation of the course and the facilities available.

I'm now at my clinical school and realise how much St Andrews spoiled me.
ty798
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
St andrews!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (29)
6.92%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (245)
58.47%
No (145)
34.61%

Watched Threads