Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I just finished the approaches topic and found the layout and evaluation and outline pretty simple to do.
    However I've just got on to memory topic and now writing my essays for the msm I don't understand how I'm meant to layout this essay is it the same as the approaches?
    Also how many evaluation points are need , I was advised 4-5 for my approaches topics. Also when doing the essay am I meant to evaluate each store separately (sm,stm and ltm) or the multi store model as a whole. As I was given evaluation points for each store and the multi store model as a whole and have like 15, 16 evaluation point lool. I'm so confused can someone help me ,and show me how to do this, thank you and if you can show me a sample essay , but it's not needed .
    Thank you😀😀😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1_Zainn_)
    Hi guys, I just finished the approaches topic and found the layout and evaluation and outline pretty simple to do.
    However I've just got on to memory topic and now writing my essays for the msm I don't understand how I'm meant to layout this essay is it the same as the approaches?
    Also how many evaluation points are need , I was advised 4-5 for my approaches topics. Also when doing the essay am I meant to evaluate each store separately (sm,stm and ltm) or the multi store model as a whole. As I was given evaluation points for each store and the multi store model as a whole and have like 15, 16 evaluation point lool. I'm so confused can someone help me ,and show me how to do this, thank you and if you can show me a sample essay , but it's not needed .
    Thank you😀😀😀
    the layout should be to talk about the MSM as a whole like talk abt whoinvented it atkinson shiffrin 1968 n dat, then you just talk abt the process, like environmental stimulus to registery to stm and that. BUT DO THIS BRIEFLY DONT GO INTO DETAIL, more marks are awarded for evaluation!!

then do the evaluation and only do 4 POINTS MAX but do them in detail as most marks lie here ygm? yh ur meant to talk abt msm as a whole no evaluation for each msm, ltm n dat seperately !!

ill try n link in a example hold on

ReputationRep:
    Hi

For a 16 marker you will need 6 key words for A01 and 4 A03 PEEL

For A01 break it down:

Sensory register - talk about the senses, capacity of register and duration
    Attention - transferred to STM
    Short term memory (STM) - immediate tasks, fragile state - limited duration, maintenance rehearsal - create LTM
    Long term memory (LTM) - unlimited capacity and duration

A03

I'll give you one example

P - A strength of MSM is subsequent research support and evidence... Expand
    E - For example Beardsley found that the prefrontal cortex is active during STM but not LTM tasks
    E - As a result this confirms the existence of STM and expand
    L - thus increases validity and explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soIiIoquy)
    the layout should be to talk about the MSM as a whole like talk abt whoinvented it atkinson shiffrin 1968 n dat, then you just talk abt the process, like environmental stimulus to registery to stm and that. BUT DO THIS BRIEFLY DONT GO INTO DETAIL, more marks are awarded for evaluation!!

then do the evaluation and only do 4 POINTS MAX but do them in detail as most marks lie here ygm? yh ur meant to talk abt msm as a whole no evaluation for each msm, ltm n dat seperately !!

ill try n link in a example hold on
    Thank you for clearing that up and Yh a sample would be nice , thanks

ReputationRep:
    The multi-store model of memory is a representation of how memory works in terms of 3 stores; the sensory register, STM and LTM. it also describes how information is transferred from one store to another (processes), how it is remembered, and how it is forgotten. Atkinson and Shiffrin (1968) used an information processing approach, where memory is characterised as a flow of information through a system (using a flowchart)

(draw flowchart)

The strengths of the approach is that there's strong evidence to support the idea of separate stores in memory. The MSM also provides an account of memory in terms of both structure and process.Lastly, the MSM has clear predictions about memory which means psychologists can conduct studies to test it and find out more about human behaviour.

The limitations of the approach is that it is criticised for focusing too much on structure and too little on the process involved. Also, the STM and LTM are not unitary stores, research has identified 4 types of LTM. Furthermore, it oversimplifies memory structures and processes. Lastly, the model is also oversimplistic as it is a basic explanation of memory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    Hi

For a 16 marker you will need 6 key words for A01 and 4 A03 PEEL

For A01 break it down:

Sensory register - talk about the senses, capacity of register and duration
    Attention - transferred to STM
    Short term memory (STM) - immediate tasks, fragile state - limited duration, maintenance rehearsal - create LTM
    Long term memory (LTM) - unlimited capacity and duration

A03

I'll give you one example

P - A strength of MSM is subsequent research support and evidence... Expand
    E - For example Beardsley found that the prefrontal cortex is active during STM but not LTM tasks
    E - As a result this confirms the existence of STM and expand
    L - thus increases validity and explain
    Hi ya when u talk about for example sensory register in a01 do you talk about the studies regarding this memory store

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soIiIoquy)
    The multi-store model of memory is a representation of how memory works in terms of 3 stores; the sensory register, STM and LTM. it also describes how information is transferred from one store to another (processes), how it is remembered, and how it is forgotten. Atkinson and Shiffrin (1968) used an information processing approach, where memory is characterised as a flow of information through a system (using a flowchart)

(draw flowchart)

The strengths of the approach is that there's strong evidence to support the idea of separate stores in memory. The MSM also provides an account of memory in terms of both structure and process.Lastly, the MSM has clear predictions about memory which means psychologists can conduct studies to test it and find out more about human behaviour.

The limitations of the approach is that it is criticised for focusing too much on structure and too little on the process involved. Also, the STM and LTM are not unitary stores, research has identified 4 types of LTM. Furthermore, it oversimplifies memory structures and processes. Lastly, the model is also oversimplistic as it is a basic explanation of memory.
    Hi ya when u ta,k about the memory stores shall I add the studies regarding the specific memory stores in A01? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya when u talk about for example sensory register in a01 do you talk about the studies regarding this memory store
    Nope I never have

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya when u ta,k about the memory stores shall I add the studies regarding the specific memory stores in A01? Thanks
    nope

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.