Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why don't you be a Muslim? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that some of you got bothered from the first look, and I know that this subject was offered and discussed so many times before. I have been following the thread long time ago, and allow me to say that most of the discussion about
    Islam was not practical or even useful to get to a clear idea... I mean some people are against Islam totally supporting their ideas by current events or superficial understanding while others try hard to attack them for the sake of proving them wrong or even for a hot conversation. I also noticed that there are some people who are against Muslims and even hate them. I'm only saying some people but I deeply admire most of the serious and effective discussion of the members here...
    Because of this I really want to join this forum, I was wondering would you people mind that only because I am a Muslim. Yes I am a Muslim but I'm open-minded and I always welcome serious opinions for the sake of real benefit... I'm waiting to know what you think…
    This doesn't mean that I don't want to know why most of the western societies are completely against Islam and even though some claim to be open for reasonable and logical points of view but they turn to be so different when it comes to Islam. I just want to know why? Why are you against it that much? What is the difference? In every religion there are good and bad people but this doesn't mean we can judge it through them only?
    If I brought all the evidences that Islam is the real religion which suits all the people from all around the world for it was revealed for all humankind, would you be open-minded to reconsider what you used to believe about Islam? Would you be a Muslim?
    By the way I wrote here before and some of you have asked me to prove what I said and that I'm willing to do some research to support it? Well, I'm here…

ReputationRep:
    Welcome.... I think.

Nothing will prove Islam to me because I have the bible and most of the points of the stories of Islam are so absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmOM3536)
    I know that some of you got bothered from the first look, and I know that this subject was offered and discussed so many times before. I have been following the thread long time ago, and allow me to say that most of the discussion about
    Islam was not practical or even useful to get to a clear idea... I mean some people are against Islam totally supporting their ideas by current events or superficial understanding while others try hard to attack them for the sake of proving them wrong or even for a hot conversation. I also noticed that there are some people who are against Muslims and even hate them. I'm only saying some people but I deeply admire most of the serious and effective discussion of the members here...
    Because of this I really want to join this forum, I was wondering would you people mind that only because I am a Muslim. Yes I am a Muslim but I'm open-minded and I always welcome serious opinions for the sake of real benefit... I'm waiting to know what you think…
    This doesn't mean that I don't want to know why most of the western societies are completely against Islam and even though some claim to be open for reasonable and logical points of view but they turn to be so different when it comes to Islam. I just want to know why? Why are you against it that much? What is the difference? In every religion there are good and bad people but this doesn't mean we can judge it through them only?
    If I brought all the evidences that Islam is the real religion which suits all the people from all around the world for it was revealed for all humankind, would you be open-minded to reconsider what you used to believe about Islam? Would you be a Muslim?
    By the way I wrote here before and some of you have asked me to prove what I said and that I'm willing to do some research to support it? Well, I'm here…
    Umm not everyone is against islam, i have nothing whatsoever against it as a whole. I know some very nice muslims, but it's just not for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    Nothing will prove Islam to me because I have the bible and most of the points of the stories of Islam are so absurd.
    Thats a rather ironic reason.

ReputationRep:
    To answer the thread title:

I am not a muslim for the same reason i am not a christian, a jew or a member of any other similiar belief system. Without going into detail on the numerous historical contradictions, innacuracies and morally reprehensive teachings found in the central book of each religion the laughable number of contradictary attributes ascribed to the God they worship stops me from giving it any greater consideration.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not a muslim because i believe christ is the son of God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    i'm not a muslim because i believe christ is the son of God
    If you were only to downgrade him in your estimation to the status of 'prophet' you could quite happily be a muslim.

ReputationRep:

we're not bothered by the fact that you're a muslim and want to join this forum, there's lots of mulims on here who are loved by all the members.

if i was asked to be a muslim though, i'd have to say no, although i'm not a devout hindu, i still respect and follow some of the traditions of the religion and the culture that goes with it. i could never convert to a stricter faith, purely because i don't belive in a higher being enough to do so. evidence or no evidence, i'd never do it.

as for people in this country being against islam, a ot of people aren't, its just those select few that are who happen to be very mouthy. they've unfortunately seen islam taken to it's extremes, which, as many know, is not the way it was intended to be followed, therefore they base their opinion of Islam on what they've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    If you were only to downgrade him in your estimation to the status of 'prophet' you could quite happily be a muslim.
    no, i couldn't. Islam, in essence, teaches that man can 'earn' God's approval by good deeds etc...christianity recognises the finite nature of man and the omnipotence and omniscience of God and therefore teaches that it is impossible to 'earn' god's favour..he gave it to us as a gift, and that gift is his Grace

Those are hugely fundamental differences between christianity and islam, although there are many parallels.

However at an essential level, the belief that jesus is the son of god is THE main fundament of christianity. If i didn't believe that, i couldn't believe he was a prophet ---->either christ was the son of god, or he was a liar. He couldn't have been a prophet, because he SAID he was the son of god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    no, i couldn't. Islam, in essence, teaches that man can 'earn' God's approval by good deeds etc...christianity recognises the finite nature of man and the omnipotence and omniscience of God and therefore teaches that it is impossible to 'earn' god's favour..he gave it to us as a gift, and that gift is his Grace
    Actually what you describe there is Christian belief as well, unless youve decided not to consider every episcopal (which is to say the various Catholic/Orthodox/Anglican comunions) denomination - which just happen to make up the vast majority of the christian populace - as being 'christian', which is quite a different area!
    (Original post by grace)
    Those are hugely fundamental differences between christianity and islam, although there are many parallels.

However at an essential level, the belief that jesus is the son of god is THE main fundament of christianity. If i didn't believe that, i couldn't believe he was a prophet ---->either christ was the son of god, or he was a liar. He couldn't have been a prophet, because he SAID he was the son of god.
    I agree with your point on what is the main pillar of christian belief, however the point i was (jokingly) making with my original post to you is that Islam accepts Jesus and also venerates him, just as a human prophet rather than as something more divine.

ReputationRep:
    It is funny you claim that you can present all the evidence to prove Islam is the one true religion, because I have heard Christians say that they can provide all the evidence to show it is the one true religion. I will not ever be religious unless God himself personally stands in my presence and tells me what religion to believe in. And even then I would probally go and commit myself to a mental asylum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    And even then I would probally go and commit myself to a mental asylum.
    As any sane man would

ReputationRep:
    But that raises an interesting point. If god himself reveals himself to you, you are quite clearly insane. Yet many people will happily believe the testimony of people who have personally had god reveal himself to them. Therefore we can conclude that all religions follow the teachings of madmen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    Welcome.... I think.

Yeah Mr my-god's-son-miraculously-healed-people-2000-years-ago, you have a good point there.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't believe in something then you don't belive in it. No matter how hard you try to be a Muslim/Christian/Jew if you don't believe in what is being preached then how can you possibly convert to that religion?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate already bookmarked by something else.

Im not against Islam, I think its very interesting indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    But that raises an interesting point. If god himself reveals himself to you, you are quite clearly insane. Yet many people will happily believe the testimony of people who have personally had god reveal himself to them. Therefore we can conclude that all religions follow the teachings of madmen.
    I think you'll find that the most intelligent people are the ones that can be found talking to themselves at bus stops.

Okay maybe not true. But Issac Newton used to stick needles in his eyes to learn about optics and he invented da Calculus.

Conclusion: Mathematics follows the teaching of madmen.

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard the theory about Jesus having children?

This pesents a big problem for the Christian churches - descendants of Jesus will still be alive - will they not be part God (like Heracles )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Have you heard the theory about Jesus having children?

This pesents a big problem for the Christian churches - descendants of Jesus will still be alive - will they not be part God (like Heracles )
    The whole theory is mapped out in Holy Blood and the Holy Grial book, quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    The whole theory is mapped out in Holy Blood and the Holy Grial book, quite interesting.
    It is yes, and Dan Brown's recent novel the Da Vinci Code has brought the theory back to prominence.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.