Government and Politics or History for A Levels Watch

han0110
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Currently, I am choosing the A levels I wish to study however I am stuck between History and Government & Politics as my fourth option.

I intend to do medicine in the future and my other A level choices are Biology, Maths and Chemistry.

I am well informed on History but could someone who does or has done Gov&Politics give their experience of doing the A level.

Thank you.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
xhorseloverx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In comparison to Government and Politics, History is better regarded and will be more useful. It's also facilitating so it will widen your options in case you decide not to do Medicine.

I know I haven't really said much about Government and Politics but this is as much as I can help
popcornjpg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do both - history AQA & edexcel G&P with US Politics at A2

History is a 'facilitating subject' and generally more respected, although I don't think this matters that much, maybe for Oxbridge but I don't think so.

That being said, it is easier than history, though mostly because it is unreformed. So if you do well at AS, and you should really because AS is easy, it becomes an easy A*. There's much more content in history and the new spec was designed to be harder in that questions are not as broad as they used to, so you can't get away with little revision. The coursework has also become harder with the new spec and is in general a huge pain in the ass.

A2 Politics is harder because you have to study pretty much everything. You can't study 2 topics in Unit 1 like you can with AS, for example, because everything links together, and the questions are more random.

I however find politics far more interesting because it's constantly evolving. You have to read the news and ideally discuss politics online or somewhere else, and it becomes quite enjoyable. There are days in my history lessons where I am on the verge of sleep. There's just not much you can do but take notes and do some group work. Politics can be more interactive.

I just read that you're doing medicine - as you're likely to drop either of these subjects anyway I think politics is definitely the better option. It's quite a light course at AS, like I said, and I think it links to medicine better because it gives you some insight into why the Tories are strangling the NHS to death, into how pressure groups like the British Medical Association works etc.

Rambled a bit but I hope this helps
Metalfros
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by popcornjpg)
I do both - history AQA & edexcel G&P with US Politics at A2

History is a 'facilitating subject' and generally more respected, although I don't think this matters that much, maybe for Oxbridge but I don't think so.

That being said, it is easier than history, though mostly because it is unreformed. So if you do well at AS, and you should really because AS is easy, it becomes an easy A*. There's much more content in history and the new spec was designed to be harder in that questions are not as broad as they used to, so you can't get away with little revision. The coursework has also become harder with the new spec and is in general a huge pain in the ass.

A2 Politics is harder because you have to study pretty much everything. You can't study 2 topics in Unit 1 like you can with AS, for example, because everything links together, and the questions are more random.

I however find politics far more interesting because it's constantly evolving. You have to read the news and ideally discuss politics online or somewhere else, and it becomes quite enjoyable. There are days in my history lessons where I am on the verge of sleep. There's just not much you can do but take notes and do some group work. Politics can be more interactive.

I just read that you're doing medicine - as you're likely to drop either of these subjects anyway I think politics is definitely the better option. It's quite a light course at AS, like I said, and I think it links to medicine better because it gives you some insight into why the Tories are strangling the NHS to death, into how pressure groups like the British Medical Association works etc.

Rambled a bit but I hope this helps
For context I do both subjects and I love them.

I definitely agree that Politics is the easier subject by a large margin, although it might be due to my great interest in politics and having a great teacher. But needlessly to say I have climbed from an E in the beginning of the year to a solid B and hopefully an A in the AS exam. If you are interested in politics and naturally good in writing essays, it should be an easy subject.
ou
History is much harder. While you have to study the content greatly, like in politics, you have to go into much more depth. It also requires you to think much more and an essay plan is necessary if you want to hit higher than C's. In politics I can just go write it directly and still get 19/20 marks out of 25.

However I disagree that Politics is the better option. In truth, you learn more about the nature of politics and how the political systems and processes work rather than things like this. Of course you need to watch the news to stay up to date and have good examples, but that is something you probably do already. You don't need politics for that. History is more challenging and more respected. It is the hardest subject outside further maths and physics imo. But in the end the choice is up to you. But since you want to do medicine you need chemistry and bio, preferably maths as well.
fesenjoon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
History.
han0110
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by xhorseloverx)
In comparison to Government and Politics, History is better regarded and will be more useful. It's also facilitating so it will widen your options in case you decide not to do Medicine.

I know I haven't really said much about Government and Politics but this is as much as I can help
Thank you very much for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.02%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.82%
No (88)
49.16%

Watched Threads