mtmtdubai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Our son is a British passport holder with UK nationality. He has four home status offers from English Universities and is currently looking to fill in the application for tuition and maintenance loans. He has lived with us in Dubai for circa 10 years however has always maintained links with the UK. Before Dubai we all lived in England. He spends each summer in England at a home we own so that he can visit his relatives and friends. Once he has finished his A levels in Dubai he has no right to remain in the country as I am no longer able to sponsor him due to him being over 18. Once his visa is cancelled he must leave the country.

Please could you advise if the eligibility criteria for student finance is the same as the criteria for "home" status. The forms and gov.uk are confusing as no mention is made of "ordinary residence" only whether "you normally live in England" and "you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course". The online application actually asks if you have lived anywhere apart from your home address during the 3 years before uni which is different criteria again. If you apply a strict interpretation of the criteria on gov.uk he would fail to be eligible.

Further confusion exists as we have friends in Dubai whose sons/daughters have home status but have been declined for loans, others have had international status but have received loans and others have home status and received loans. All the students are UK passport holders and spent the 3 years before uni studying in Dubai.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mtmtdubai)
Our son is a British passport holder with UK nationality. He has four home status offers from English Universities and is currently looking to fill in the application for tuition and maintenance loans. He has lived with us in Dubai for circa 10 years however has always maintained links with the UK. Before Dubai we all lived in England. He spends each summer in England at a home we own so that he can visit his relatives and friends. Once he has finished his A levels in Dubai he has no right to remain in the country as I am no longer able to sponsor him due to him being over 18. Once his visa is cancelled he must leave the country.

Please could you advise if the eligibility criteria for student finance is the same as the criteria for "home" status. The forms and gov.uk are confusing as no mention is made of "ordinary residence" only whether "you normally live in England" and "you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course". The online application actually asks if you have lived anywhere apart from your home address during the 3 years before uni which is different criteria again. If you apply a strict interpretation of the criteria on gov.uk he would fail to be eligible.

Further confusion exists as we have friends in Dubai whose sons/daughters have home status but have been declined for loans, others have had international status but have received loans and others have home status and received loans. All the students are UK passport holders and spent the 3 years before uni studying in Dubai.
From what you've described your son is currently ordinarily resident in England.

Ordinary residence is not affected by temporary stays outside a country - particularly in your son's case where although you may remain in Dubai he has always been set to return to England when he turns 18 due to the nature of his and your visa.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...ort#layer-6193 is the official guidance - there is a lot of information on the UKCISA site about the definition of ordinary residence. The fact that you've maintained a home in England (you may need to provide bills for this residence in your name to prove that it has been retained for you family's use) and should be able to prove that his visa for Dubai was never permanent (and ideally if your visa is for a fixed period too) should all mean he can prove that he's ordinarily resident in England.

I would recommend completing the PAPER application form rather than the online one. That will allow you to explain your situation and provide more information along with the application itself.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...18/new-student has the paper forms and guidance.
mtmtdubai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you PQ for your clarification and assistance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (352)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.47%

Watched Threads