The Student Room Group

HKU BDS - Dentistry ??

Does anyone receive the condition offer from 2017 HKU BDS ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sarah1510
Does anyone receive the condition offer from 2017 HKU BDS ?

Yes I got a firm offer from HKU BDS recently.
Reply 2
Original post by inbis144
Yes I got a firm offer from HKU BDS recently.

Congrats inbis144 !

I have interviewed in Jan 2017 for HKU BDS. I was not given conditional offer in the both the fast track and main round. So far the status is still under consideration.

I think you are already a degree holder to get the firm offer. Am I right ? Would you mind to let me know the some details of your 1st degree e.g. choice of subjects and GPA.

Have you applied Medicine in HKU and CUHK ? Have you received any offer ?

Million thanks !
Reply 3
I'm actually a high school student who got a firm offer. It's because I had all my examination test results (AP, SAT) available by the time I applied.

Since I am actually an international student (not even a non-JUPAS), I can't apply for medicine CUHK (as well as MBBS in HKU since I don't speak Cantonese).
Reply 4
I'm actually a high school student who got a firm offer. It's because I had all my examination test results (AP, SAT) available by the time I applied.

Since I am actually an international student (not even a non-JUPAS), I can't apply for medicine CUHK (as well as MBBS in HKU since I don't speak Cantonese).

Hi, inbis144,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

By the way, will you take the offer of HKU BDS and study in Hong Kong if you don't speak Cantonese ? Will your home country accept the dentistry qualification from HKU ?

Sarah
Reply 5
Hi, inbis144,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

By the way, will you take the offer of HKU BDS and study in Hong Kong if you don't speak Cantonese ? Will your home country accept the dentistry qualification from HKU ?

Sarah

Yes I accepted the offer.
Unlike MBBS, HKU BDS uses English as its teaching medium (that's why they don't require Cantonese). That's why I applied for BDS too.

My country does allow us to take its license exam if I have a degree from HKU.
Reply 6
Yes I accepted the offer.
Unlike MBBS, HKU BDS uses English as its teaching medium (that's why they don't require Cantonese). That's why I applied for BDS too.

My country does allow us to take its license exam if I have a degree from HKU.

I am from Hong Kong and will take IB exam in May.
Do you need to any exam in this year / summer ?
May I know what is your home country ?

Will the license exam be difficult ? I learnt the pass rate of HK license exam is only 1-2 % student can pass all the three parts in one go.
Reply 7
I am from Hong Kong and will take IB exam in May.
Do you need to any exam in this year / summer ?
May I know what is your home country ?

Will the license exam be difficult ? I learnt the pass rate of HK license exam is only 1-2 % student can pass all the three parts in one go.

I think you still can get a conditional offer with your predicted grades (not a firm offer though if your only examinations are IB). Since it may be conditional, you might need your IB grades.
Not sure with the licensing exams though. I'm probably gonna think first if I'm gonna stay in HK or come back. :/
Reply 8
I think you still can get a conditional offer with your predicted grades (not a firm offer though if your only examinations are IB). Since it may be conditional, you might need your IB grades.
Not sure with the licensing exams though. I'm probably gonna think first if I'm gonna stay in HK or come back. :/

I don't know whether I can get a conditional offer later.

How is your BDS interview ? My interview or my answers seem not so OK as I learnt from the body language of the interviewers. The interviewers look impatient to my answers. Haha !!

Regards,
Sarah
Reply 9
I don't know whether I can get a conditional offer later.

How is your BDS interview ? My interview or my answers seem not so OK as I learnt from the body language of the interviewers. The interviewers look impatient to my answers. Haha !!

Regards,
Sarah

Haha the interview was intense especially I was first on the list!
They seemed okay in overall although I messed up one question haha..
Reply 10
Haha the interview was intense especially I was first on the list!
They seemed okay in overall although I messed up one question haha..

Haha ! Then you are so smart and can answer all their questions !! I am not that good, I missed a few questions !

Just waiting for their condition offer :smile:
Reply 11
Congrats inbis144 !

I have interviewed in Jan 2017 for HKU BDS. I was not given conditional offer in the both the fast track and main round. So far the status is still under consideration.

I think you are already a degree holder to get the firm offer. Am I right ? Would you mind to let me know the some details of your 1st degree e.g. choice of subjects and GPA.

Have you applied Medicine in HKU and CUHK ? Have you received any offer ?

Million thanks !

Haha ! Then you are so smart and can answer all their questions !! I am not that good, I missed a few questions !

Just waiting for their condition offer :smile:

Hi Sarah1510,

Do you mind sharing what predicted grades you got for IB? I am a GCE A level student applying HKU BDS this year, but hvent receive an interview until now!

Many thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by MoosePatronus
Hi Sarah 1510, Saudi12 and inbis144

I actually applied for HKU BDS for both fast track and main round as well. It was so nice to find people who are in the same boat together! My application status is still under consideration, but I have not heard anything from HKU at all (No interview invitation :frown: ) From reading this thread and finding out that you guys had your interviews back January, its making me very anxious on my chances. Did you guys all applied through non-jupus? I am graduating with a bachelor of science in the America in May and I have applied through non-jupus fast track.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Hi, I'm actually surprised to see how many people actually applied for HKU Dentistry this year haha! I am a high school student who applied for BDS via non-JUPAS (fast track). Interviews are mandatory to get an acceptance letter. If you haven't gotten one yet, I think you can email them [email protected]
Reply 13
Hi Sarah 1510, Saudi12 and inbis144

I actually applied for HKU BDS for both fast track and main round as well. It was so nice to find people who are in the same boat together! My application status is still under consideration, but I have not heard anything from HKU at all (No interview invitation :frown: ) From reading this thread and finding out that you guys had your interviews back January, its making me very anxious on my chances. Did you guys all applied through non-jupus? I am graduating with a bachelor of science in the America in May and I have applied through non-jupus fast track.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Hi MoosePatronus,

I applied through fast track and my application status is still under consideration as well and still hvent receive an interview yet!!! Anyone that apply to HKU that is not taking HK DSE exam is regarded as non-jupas (including degree holder) I heard that some interview might take place in July for conditional offers, but not too sure about degree holders like you. Are you HK resident?
Reply 14
Hi, I'm actually surprised to see how many people actually applied for HKU Dentistry this year haha! I am a high school student who applied for BDS via non-JUPAS (fast track). Interviews are mandatory to get an acceptance letter. If you haven't gotten one yet, I think you can email them [email protected]

Hi inbis,

Thanks for your advice! I am actually not too surprised to see many people applied for HKU Dentistry, because it is a really competitive course (some say is even harder than HKU MBBS!!!) But do you mind sharing what you got in your SAT??
Reply 15
Original post by Saudi12
Hi inbis,

Thanks for your advice! I am actually not too surprised to see many people applied for HKU Dentistry, because it is a really competitive course (some say is even harder than HKU MBBS!!!) But do you mind sharing what you got in your SAT??

PMed!
Reply 16
HI Saudi12,
Yes, I am HK resident. But does that affect our application tho? I thought it only impact tuition calculation haha

Not sure just asking because I know a lot of foreign student applied
Reply 17
Hi inbis144,

Thanks for sharing your info with us. Yea, I guess I can email them and ask for a status update. How long of a notice did they give you for the interview? like between the invitation and the actual interview? Do you know if they have online interviews? because if they don't, that means we need to actually book a ticket fly there lol

They gave me the interview invitation offer about 3 weeks before the actual interview. I think they only do interviews in their hospital (Prince Philip Dental Hospital) since I had to fly 5 hours to HK to do the interview.
Reply 18
Dear all,

I applied via fast track. I have my interview in January with around 3 weeks notification in advance.
I'm really surprised that they actually accepts high school graduates. I'm a senior now and I'm considering to apply HKU BDS. May you tell me your weighted GPA and standardized test scores, just so I can have a feeling of how hard it is? I mean, if it is uncomfortable for you to do so, it's fine. Thank you.

Quick Reply