HKU BDS - Dentistry ?? Watch

sarah1510
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does anyone receive the condition offer from 2017 HKU BDS ?
inbis144
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sarah1510)
Does anyone receive the condition offer from 2017 HKU BDS ?
Yes I got a firm offer from HKU BDS recently.
sarah1510
Rep:
?
(Original post by inbis144)
Yes I got a firm offer from HKU BDS recently.
Congrats inbis144 !

I have interviewed in Jan 2017 for HKU BDS. I was not given conditional offer in the both the fast track and main round. So far the status is still under consideration.

I think you are already a degree holder to get the firm offer. Am I right ? Would you mind to let me know the some details of your 1st degree e.g. choice of subjects and GPA.

Have you applied Medicine in HKU and CUHK ? Have you received any offer ?

Million thanks !
inbis144
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm actually a high school student who got a firm offer. It's because I had all my examination test results (AP, SAT) available by the time I applied.

Since I am actually an international student (not even a non-JUPAS), I can't apply for medicine CUHK (as well as MBBS in HKU since I don't speak Cantonese).
sarah1510
Rep:
?
I'm actually a high school student who got a firm offer. It's because I had all my examination test results (AP, SAT) available by the time I applied.

Since I am actually an international student (not even a non-JUPAS), I can't apply for medicine CUHK (as well as MBBS in HKU since I don't speak Cantonese).
Hi, inbis144,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

By the way, will you take the offer of HKU BDS and study in Hong Kong if you don't speak Cantonese ? Will your home country accept the dentistry qualification from HKU ?

Sarah
inbis144
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, inbis144,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

By the way, will you take the offer of HKU BDS and study in Hong Kong if you don't speak Cantonese ? Will your home country accept the dentistry qualification from HKU ?

Sarah
Yes I accepted the offer.
Unlike MBBS, HKU BDS uses English as its teaching medium (that's why they don't require Cantonese). That's why I applied for BDS too.

My country does allow us to take its license exam if I have a degree from HKU.
sarah1510
Rep:
?
Yes I accepted the offer.
Unlike MBBS, HKU BDS uses English as its teaching medium (that's why they don't require Cantonese). That's why I applied for BDS too.

My country does allow us to take its license exam if I have a degree from HKU.
I am from Hong Kong and will take IB exam in May.
Do you need to any exam in this year / summer ?
May I know what is your home country ?

Will the license exam be difficult ? I learnt the pass rate of HK license exam is only 1-2 % student can pass all the three parts in one go.
inbis144
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am from Hong Kong and will take IB exam in May.
Do you need to any exam in this year / summer ?
May I know what is your home country ?

Will the license exam be difficult ? I learnt the pass rate of HK license exam is only 1-2 % student can pass all the three parts in one go.
I think you still can get a conditional offer with your predicted grades (not a firm offer though if your only examinations are IB). Since it may be conditional, you might need your IB grades.
Not sure with the licensing exams though. I'm probably gonna think first if I'm gonna stay in HK or come back. :/
sarah1510
Rep:
?
I think you still can get a conditional offer with your predicted grades (not a firm offer though if your only examinations are IB). Since it may be conditional, you might need your IB grades.
Not sure with the licensing exams though. I'm probably gonna think first if I'm gonna stay in HK or come back. :/
I don't know whether I can get a conditional offer later.

How is your BDS interview ? My interview or my answers seem not so OK as I learnt from the body language of the interviewers. The interviewers look impatient to my answers. Haha !!

Regards,
Sarah
inbis144
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know whether I can get a conditional offer later.

How is your BDS interview ? My interview or my answers seem not so OK as I learnt from the body language of the interviewers. The interviewers look impatient to my answers. Haha !!

Regards,
Sarah
Haha the interview was intense especially I was first on the list!
They seemed okay in overall although I messed up one question haha..
sarah1510
Rep:
?
Haha the interview was intense especially I was first on the list!
They seemed okay in overall although I messed up one question haha..
Haha ! Then you are so smart and can answer all their questions !! I am not that good, I missed a few questions !

Just waiting for their condition offer
Saudi12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congrats inbis144 !

I have interviewed in Jan 2017 for HKU BDS. I was not given conditional offer in the both the fast track and main round. So far the status is still under consideration.

I think you are already a degree holder to get the firm offer. Am I right ? Would you mind to let me know the some details of your 1st degree e.g. choice of subjects and GPA.

Have you applied Medicine in HKU and CUHK ? Have you received any offer ?

Million thanks !
Haha ! Then you are so smart and can answer all their questions !! I am not that good, I missed a few questions !

Just waiting for their condition offer

Hi Sarah1510,

Do you mind sharing what predicted grades you got for IB? I am a GCE A level student applying HKU BDS this year, but hvent receive an interview until now!

Many thanks!
inbis144
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MoosePatronus)
Hi Sarah 1510, Saudi12 and inbis144

I actually applied for HKU BDS for both fast track and main round as well. It was so nice to find people who are in the same boat together! My application status is still under consideration, but I have not heard anything from HKU at all (No interview invitation ) From reading this thread and finding out that you guys had your interviews back January, its making me very anxious on my chances. Did you guys all applied through non-jupus? I am graduating with a bachelor of science in the America in May and I have applied through non-jupus fast track.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Hi, I'm actually surprised to see how many people actually applied for HKU Dentistry this year haha! I am a high school student who applied for BDS via non-JUPAS (fast track). Interviews are mandatory to get an acceptance letter. If you haven't gotten one yet, I think you can email them [email protected]
Saudi12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Sarah 1510, Saudi12 and inbis144

I actually applied for HKU BDS for both fast track and main round as well. It was so nice to find people who are in the same boat together! My application status is still under consideration, but I have not heard anything from HKU at all (No interview invitation ) From reading this thread and finding out that you guys had your interviews back January, its making me very anxious on my chances. Did you guys all applied through non-jupus? I am graduating with a bachelor of science in the America in May and I have applied through non-jupus fast track.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Hi MoosePatronus,

I applied through fast track and my application status is still under consideration as well and still hvent receive an interview yet!!! Anyone that apply to HKU that is not taking HK DSE exam is regarded as non-jupas (including degree holder) I heard that some interview might take place in July for conditional offers, but not too sure about degree holders like you. Are you HK resident?
Saudi12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm actually surprised to see how many people actually applied for HKU Dentistry this year haha! I am a high school student who applied for BDS via non-JUPAS (fast track). Interviews are mandatory to get an acceptance letter. If you haven't gotten one yet, I think you can email them [email protected]
Hi inbis,

Thanks for your advice! I am actually not too surprised to see many people applied for HKU Dentistry, because it is a really competitive course (some say is even harder than HKU MBBS!!!) But do you mind sharing what you got in your SAT??
inbis144
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saudi12)
Hi inbis,

Thanks for your advice! I am actually not too surprised to see many people applied for HKU Dentistry, because it is a really competitive course (some say is even harder than HKU MBBS!!!) But do you mind sharing what you got in your SAT??
PMed!
Saudi12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HI Saudi12,
Yes, I am HK resident. But does that affect our application tho? I thought it only impact tuition calculation haha
Not sure just asking because I know a lot of foreign student applied
inbis144
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi inbis144,

Thanks for sharing your info with us. Yea, I guess I can email them and ask for a status update. How long of a notice did they give you for the interview? like between the invitation and the actual interview? Do you know if they have online interviews? because if they don't, that means we need to actually book a ticket fly there lol
They gave me the interview invitation offer about 3 weeks before the actual interview. I think they only do interviews in their hospital (Prince Philip Dental Hospital) since I had to fly 5 hours to HK to do the interview.
sarah1510
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Dear all,

I applied via fast track. I have my interview in January with around 3 weeks notification in advance.
CaptainPissoff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm really surprised that they actually accepts high school graduates. I'm a senior now and I'm considering to apply HKU BDS. May you tell me your weighted GPA and standardized test scores, just so I can have a feeling of how hard it is? I mean, if it is uncomfortable for you to do so, it's fine. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed