Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Leekey)
    I agree that it isn't the most erm... "recognised" subject but I think that if a Uni (not Oxbridge but one that is ranked in the top 20ish) sees that I am able to cope with what is potentially quite a large workload and still maintain a good standard, they may look at me more favourably. Either that or they will assume that Im some sort of sadistic freak who loves to push myslef to the point of exhaustion....either one is good!!!
    I wasnt trying to question people's work ethos - just it annoys me when ppl use the I got 5as and I wasnt let in cos I am working class etc, etc even though one of those As is jus GS.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    I wasnt trying to question people's work ethos - just it annoys me when ppl use the I got 5as and I wasnt let in cos I am working class etc, etc even though one of those As is jus GS.

I too hate people who complain about thier class holding them back. I think that for many it is easier to blame thier class rather then face the fact that they were simply not ajudged to be academically suitable above other students. They should spend less time complaining and more time proving that if you are truely intelligent and able, you can succeed without the distinct advantage that a prestigious Uni gives you!

(Original post by Leekey)
    I too hate people who complain about thier class holding them back. I think that for many it is easier to blame thier class rather then face the fact that they were simply not ajudged to be academically suitable above other students. They should spend less time complaining and more time proving that if you are truely intelligent and able, you can succeed without the distinct advantage that a prestigious Uni gives you!
    no wiser words than that - in the end, I supose grades do not prove much - John Major only had 3 O levels, Churchill was a failure at school yet was a literacy genius - he won the Nobel prize and recited sections of the fall and Decline of the Roman Empire by Gibbon- a bloody crazy huge book. Do not forget the branding of Einstein as a retard at school either.

Some people have a genuine case about their class holding them back, for example, if they had to skip lessons to hold down a job in the 6th form etc. Having said that, individuals who have shown themselves to be capaple, academically, have no right to assume their failure is due simply to the prejudice of others.

Ben

*capable, sorry!

Ben

Some people have a genuine case about their class holding them back, for example, if they had to skip lessons to hold down a job in the 6th form etc. Having said that, individuals who have shown themselves to be capaple, academically, have no right to assume their failure is due simply to the prejudice of others.

Ben

I can understand people who guenuinely have difficulties complaining about thier class hindering them but the majority of these people who whinge about being rejected because of thier "class" seem to be middle-class students who think that they have a devine right to attend Oxbridge because they "deserve" it more than anyone else. In my opinion anyone who was rejected from such institutions was rejected for a valid reason and they should accept that and keep as focused on thier education as they seem to claim!!!

*capable, sorry!

Ben
    Point taken, however, as far as the majority of cases go, class is really not an issue for rejection - I believe, however, given the right circumstances, problems as a result of class, like u said, can be used to aid one's appplication if their grades do not reflect their potential. - Class itself should not be used as an excuse for rejection

I recently got my results for my AS levels, and they were not as expected - CCDU! Moreimporantly, i wanna study medicine at uni, which requires AAB/ABB at A-Level. Im planning to retake some of the modules of the AS subjects in jan, and am planning to achieve ABBC. The thing is the ucas form needs to be in by 15 oct, and retakes are in jan! what do i do ?
    does anyone know how i can show the admissions officers that i am more capable than a CCDU?? the interviewers are from nov-march

help will be appreciated !!

(Original post by MustanG)
    I recently got my results for my AS levels, and they were not as expected - CCDU! Moreimporantly, i wanna study medicine at uni, which requires AAB/ABB at A-Level. Im planning to retake some of the modules of the AS subjects in jan, and am planning to achieve ABBC. The thing is the ucas form needs to be in by 15 oct, and retakes are in jan! what do i do ?
    does anyone know how i can show the admissions officers that i am more capable than a CCDU?? the interviewers are from nov-march

help will be appreciated !!
    Bribe him or kidnap his family!

Doesnt it all depend on ur UCAS reference?

(Original post by Pencil)
    By Year 13, you should be able to predict your own grades. Forget the teacher's, your guess is probably a hundred times more accurate.
    this is EXACTLY it, you should know your own potential

i was predicted ABC...but got AAA..fookin teachers dont know ****

predicted grades are very important, so if youre a diligent student then you'll be fine...

predicted grades are very important, so if youre a diligent student then you'll be fine...

....and for all us lackluster work-shy students????? Ohh thats right....we fail!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted ABC but got BBB so they weren't THAT off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    I was predicted ABC but got BBB so they weren't THAT off.
    Most of the time they are okay but one grade can make a lot of difference. If you over predict people they apply to unis they can't get into. If you under predict them they apply to crap uni's, do way better and invariably feel they deserve better........which they do. I think people know what they are capable of much better than teachers, or at least they should do in A2. Sometimes teachers should listen more to students instead of assuming that they're right about everything and that GCSEs and SATs are what they should base these predictions on.

predicted grades:

AS - Level
    business- C
    economics - B
    german - B
    hoem economics - A

results:

business- u
    economics - u
    german - u
    hoem economics - E

a2 predicted gardes
    economics- B
    german - C
    he - A

A2 RESULTS
    ecoonomics- E
    german - U
    HE- U

Do i care? no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjg)
    Do i care? no
    That's fortunate, otherwise we might not be graced with your presence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjg)
    predicted grades:
    business- u
    economics - u
    german - u
    hoem economics - E

a2 predicted gardes
    economics- B
    german - C
    he - A
    What kind of dumbass school predicts someone B and C at A2 when they got U at AS? Oh yeah, mine...

(Original post by Jools)
    What kind of dumbass school predicts someone B and C at A2 when they got U at AS? Oh yeah, mine...
    list ur qualeifications jools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjg)
    list ur qualeifications jools
    Whatever his qualifications are, I doubt that they can top your string of U's.

wat did u get then whitey me aul mucker? a plate of fish + a piece of ass?

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.