The Student Room Group

ANOTHER Scotland Independence Vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
Except in the latter the SNP get to decide who to form a coalition with.

No unionist party (and Labour is a unionist party) will make a deal with the SNP and go into coalition with them, or even form a minority government with SNP support. Labour will not want to be held to ransom on the independence issue. Make no mistake, if you vote SNP in the next GE, you are making a Tory government much, much more likely. So don't whinge about the Tory cuts - you (that is to say, all SNP voters) let it happen.
We joined the EU as the United Kingdom.
We voted to leave as the United Kingdom.
We will leave as the United Kingdom.

Twist it all you want. "Oh, Scotland voted to Remain" - so did Manchester, maybe we should make Manchester an independent state.

Then again, if you want to **** up your country go ahead SNP - because independence is all they care about. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by joecphillips
I was wrong to say majority but definitely a Tory government, the snp have 1 policy independence something which labour oppose so that removes seats from a party that could compete with the Tory's

I don't see how, I doubt under a situation where the seats were as below the SNP wouldn't have a confidence and supply agreement with Labour at the very least.

Tories 280 seats
Labour 270 seats
SNP 50 seats

Also, they clearly have more than one policy otherwise Scotland and the rUK would have the same tax rates next year.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
We joined the EU as the United Kingdom.
We voted to leave as the United Kingdom.
We will leave as the United Kingdom.

Twist it all you want. "Oh, Scotland voted to Remain" - so did Manchester, maybe we should make Manchester an independent state.

Then again, if you want to **** up your country go ahead SNP - because independence is all they care about. Good luck.

THIS
Reply 84
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Scotland didn't vote to leave the EU.
Scotland didn't vote to renew trident.
Scotland didn't vote for the Tories to stay in power.

We aren't stupid to want independence. We are a nation, not a county, stop treating us like we don't matter.

lol can I ask for asylum when you go?
Reply 85
Original post by Snufkin
No unionist party (and Labour is a unionist party) will make a deal with the SNP and go into coalition with them, or even form a minority government with SNP support. Labour will not want to be held to ransom on the independence issue. Make no mistake, if you vote SNP in the next GE, you are making a Tory government much, much more likely. So don't whinge about the Tory cuts - you (that is to say, all SNP voters) let it happen.

I doubt your assumption holds.

Anyway, whats wrong with a Tory government?
I wholeheartedly support Scottish independence - as long as I can move there and enjoy their eminently superior public services.
Reply 87
Original post by jambojim97
I wholeheartedly support Scottish independence - as long as I can move there and enjoy their eminently superior public services.

If Scotland leave the UK, by default they have to leave the EU.

So Sturgeon leaves the EU either way
Reply 88
Original post by r3035
If Scotland leave the UK, by default they have to leave the EU.

So Sturgeon leaves the EU either way

Good?
Original post by mrsuperguy
why are the scots idiots? most of them voted to remain in the EU and remaining part of the UK would mean being dragged out of the EU. This is a major change to the factors that would ordinarily affect a decision like this and i think that's a good reason to let the scots have another independence referendum.

Except by choosing to remain with the UK as they did, that entails staying even when we do sh it their current politicans do not support. It would be like the UK remaining with the EU and then brexiters calling for a referendum cos Juncker made a decision our politicans didnt agree with

Lets not forget that Scotlands Leave vote was 38% aswell ... not 8% as you may assume listening to SNP
Good, hope they get it, I'd too quite feel pissed off if my own nation were being dragged out by something that they didn't majorly agree to.

I hope they get another vote and this time I hope they win.

Bye bye great britain.
She actually didn't. She set a date for one if the UK government doesn't accept single market access.

Frankly I say let them have one. Let the vote die out by losing it twice. I don't want the UK to be held hostage by Scotland for the next 10 years just because they don't like decisions made - decisions they have a say in. It's a very unfair system for those people who live in England.

I do see the issue as settled. When I voted in 2014 I knew of the tories promise about the vote to leave the EU. I know leaving was a risk. It's insulting that people claim we didn't.
At the end of the day, we are one nation. If we go through good times, we celebrate together. If we go through tough times, we persevere through it together. Now is the time to stick together as one united people and make the most out of the opportunity and challenges that Brexit awards us.
It's not surprising at all but I would love to see the look on Sturgeon's face if Scotland say they don't want independence.
Politics is not a game. Well said Theresa May:

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39258003[/video]
I'm not arguing whether Scotland should or shouldn't leave, I'm just saying that after the narrow result last time, Scots should be given another chance to vote as the circumstances have changed hugely since the first referendum. At least give Scotland a chance to voice their opinion.

No point asking me what currency Scotland would adopt if they left the UK, I'm not in charge of the contingency plans.
Reply 96
Original post by RogerOxon
The difference is that Scotland is a country and was historically separate. It already has its own parliament and powers.

Historically, England was split into kingdoms with different cultures and political systems. That doesn't mean we should treat these places with a special status when it comes to popular votes and the same is true of Scotland.

That Scotland already has its own parliament and powers of self determination is not a good argument in favour of a costly and high risk divorce from the rest of the UK.
Original post by Drewski
They might well have campaigned for one, but that doesn't mean people will have listened, taken them seriously or said "yes, sure".

The difference is that Scotland faced a vote which resulted in a narrow margin between the two sides of the referendum, and since then the circumstances have massively changed.
Original post by joecphillips
It was accepted that both were once in a generation votes not until politicians get what they want

Yes, but then the UK made the once in a generation decision to leave the EU, which a majority of Scots voted against - meaning that the circumstances for Scotland have massively changed since the first Indy Ref which was won/lost by a small margin.
Reply 99
Original post by walkonby
I'm not arguing whether Scotland should or shouldn't leave, I'm just saying that after the narrow result last time, Scots should be given another chance to vote as the circumstances have changed hugely since the first referendum. At least give Scotland a chance to voice their opinion.

No point asking me what currency Scotland would adopt if they left the UK, I'm not in charge of the contingency plans.

It wasn't a narrow result; remain won by ten percentage points.

Scotland were given a chance to voice their opinion a couple of years ago; you simply didn't like what they said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending