Graduating at 25 (almost 26)

Watch
FATMANNOLONGER
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is still working

They want to pursue an accounting and finance BSc, however they would be starting when they are 22 (almost 23) and would graduate 3 years later (if done without placement year).

They're just unsure whether they will even be able to get a good job at somewhere like the big 4 etc when they graduate due to their age, I can't really reassure them as I'm studying biomed so I was wondering if anyone else could offer advice

Thanks
Jackie-Chan-Baby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Age discrimination is suppose to be illegal especially when 26 which isn't even old, assuming they get decent grades and good work experience it shouldn't be an issue.
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FATMANNOLONGER)
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is still working

They want to pursue an accounting and finance BSc, however they would be starting when they are 22 (almost 23) and would graduate 3 years later (if done without placement year).

They're just unsure whether they will even be able to get a good job at somewhere like the big 4 etc when they graduate due to their age, I can't really reassure them as I'm studying biomed so I was wondering if anyone else could offer advice

Thanks
Ok so most people start university when they are 18/19, graduating at 21/22 if they don't have a placement year. If they do have a placement year then it's more like 22/23.

At no point during a job application should you have to disclose your age (until you are offered the job for medical reasons/proof of identity) so how would an employer be able to tell at interview stage that they are 27/28 as opposed to 22/23? People's faces don't age that much in 5 years once they pass around the age of 18, and you have some people who look much younger or older than they are too!

To summarise: No matter what subject area you are looking for a job in, I really don't think that small age difference would affect anyone's job application because the interviewer would have no way of knowing.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
26 is very young anyway. It will have no influence in job applications.

I'm 27 and I've been contacted by a few employers and not one has asked about my age.
FATMANNOLONGER
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info guys, I'll update this thread with his response
FATMANNOLONGER
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wienerwald)
An absolutely irrelevant post: ~ in soviet Poland people generally finish their university education around that age (despite beggining it when they are 18/19). Then, they become unemployed and commit suicide ~
Charming
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.57%
No - I have already returned home (26)
10.7%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.99%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (24)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.86%

Watched Threads