Talybont- whats the difference between them all?

Watch
harrietwalker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Having a brief look at accommodation and have heard the best things about Talybont.

What is the difference between Court, South, North & Gate and which one is the nicest in general?

Also is accommodation first come first served, like how does the system work of them deciding where you live in first year?
Carrotcar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hey i am having this issue as well! i think i might decide on Talybont South! which one do you think you will pick!?
Lizard359
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,
This is a previous answer of mine on the topic.It includes some stuff outside of Talybont but should give you a nice overview what is it.The main things are that Gate is the newest one but it is 10-15 minute more walk until you get outside of the campus towards town,Uni and other things.South and North have smaller rooms and kitchens but are 500 pounds cheaper and Court is the nearest to town and have quite spacious kitchens and the only difference between Court and Gate rooms is that the furniture in Gate is newer.Hope it helps.

I live in Talybont, it is the biggest student accommodation.It has a social bar,sports centre and two tescos in 10 minute walk (depending where you live).There are North and South where rooms are smaller but still en-suit and where all the party it is.If you want a place where there is a party 24/7 this is your place.It depends also on what room you will get since there are rooms which are right next to where all people from the clubs get back and rooms which are on far more quiet places.Talybont Court it is the closest to city it is about 15-20 minute walk to Students Union and the Main building (South is 5 minutes more,North 10,Gate 15) and offers slightly bigger rooms but it is worth 500 hundred more (still you can stay until 23 June while other facilities deadline to move out is 9 June).I live in Court and I am satisfied with it.Kitchens are far bigger than South and North.Also the facility services are great if you have some issues they fix it within one or two days.Finally, Gate is the newest one,the size of the rooms is the same as Court but it has TV in the kitchens and the furniture is far better.If you have a bicycle it is great,otherwise it is fifteen minute walk because you have to go all way through the campus.A plus is that it is right next to Tesco which is 24/7,McDonalds and KFC (if that is a plus ).Outside of Talybont there are senghennydd Court and Halls which a have been into and I am not quite impressed with it.It is closer to the city but I prefer Talybont.Colum Hall is right next to the Business School but many rooms are right next to the road and it gets quite noisy. It depends what price you are prepared to pay because it vary from 3500 to almost 5000.I suggest to apply as soon as possible because this year the rooms were not enough for all first years.I applied in August and got my first choice.I hope this answers some of you're questions,I will be happy to answer any further.
Regards
Still-Thinking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Accommodation is allocated first come first serve based on when you get an unconditional firm offer. So those with unconditional firm get allocated first, then those who have conditional firm offer (that become unconditional on results day), then those with conditional insurance then clearing students.

Taly Court - 15ish mins from University. Second nicest, spacious kitchens. Proper ensuites. Expensive
Taly South - 20ish mins from uni. Known as the party halls, very lively & social. Wet rooms not bathrooms. Cheaper and smaller kitchens. Is small Tesco close by. Close to Taly social.
Taly North - 25ish mins from uni. Have variety of room sizes but kitchens are small. Some of the blocks have been renovated so are nicer than south. Some haven't been yet and are worse/ the same as south. Next to sports facilities and close to taly social. Cheaper and proper ensuites. Is small Tesco close by.
Taly Gate - 30ish mins from uni. Nicest rooms, larger ensuites and nicest kitchens, have 3/4 bed and tv in kitchen. Kitchen sizes vary but are all nice and new. Closest to Tesco Extra, McDonald's, KFC etc. Lots of Gap year students (cuz they get first choice basically due to their unconditional offers) and lots of posh students (stereotype of the halls I know, but most people who have gap years and live in the most expensive halls are posh). Expensive.

Basically taly south is the party hall, but you obviously get a mix everywhere at each halls, but south is known for partying all the time. Taly gate has lots of posh/ gap year students but not all of them are, but that's what it's known for.

Hope this helps!
Carrotcar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much ! What do you mean by wet rooms for Taly South!?
Still-Thinking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As in rather than an ensuite with a shower cubicle with an actual door so that the shower is enclosed, taly south has ensuites that have a shower head with no door (can't remember if there's a curtain) it's a room that is made to get wet, a wet room.
Carrotcar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much! you don't happen to have information about all the other residences do you? i know there's a lot but it would be great help as it is always better getting a students view of it as the website can be bias! It is very annoying as the next open day isn't until end of April but i want to send everything off ASAP so i can get the accomodation that I want !
Still-Thinking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Welcome 😊 Which others are you interested in?
Carrotcar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Union State
Carrotcar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And the university halls please ! I don't understand them ! Haha 😂
Still-Thinking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've never even heard of union state 😂 Oh wait, have just looked it up and I know it now, it used to be called Victoria Hall. Right, union state is a private halls of residence, which means that it's not just for Cardiff University students, but for others students at other universities e.g. Cardiff met students. I don't know anything about the actual halls other than it takes about 10mins to walk to uni from there. This is the first year they've offered union state as a choice on the Cardiff University accommodation website, normally it's just available privately, but obviously Cardiff uni has made created some kind of partnership with them.

As for university halls, that's generally where people who apply late/ had insurance or clearing offers. I've never been but from what I've heard some of the blocks are nice, some are not nice at all. My main point about uni halls would be that it's a bus ride away. Buses come every hour (or it might be half an hour, I'm not sure). But the bus only runs during uni hours so in the evenings and weekends you'd have to walk. It's basically not very convenient. Some people like uni halls, others hate it. Oh and I know some bathrooms come with actual baths, everywhere else only has showers.
Carrotcar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much!! You've been a lot of help! I think I'm going to decide on the Taylbont residences ... which one would you say is best!?
Still-Thinking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's basically down to personal preference tbh. You have to weigh up location, distance to uni, price, reputation, how nice the rooms are etc.
harrietwalker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Still-Thinking)
It's basically down to personal preference tbh. You have to weigh up location, distance to uni, price, reputation, how nice the rooms are etc.
Other than Talybont which accommodation would you say is in line with them in terms of quality and expense that's also less than 25 minutes from the uni (specifically business school) and also are the clubs/ night life near much of the accommodation
Still-Thinking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by harrietwalker)
Other than Talybont which accommodation would you say is in line with them in terms of quality and expense that's also less than 25 minutes from the uni (specifically business school) and also are the clubs/ night life near much of the accommodation
That's kind of a difficult question to answer, because the Taly halls vary so much themselves, e.g. Taly South is nowhere near the quality of Taly Gate. Which does not mean to say south is horrible by any means just that Gate is a lot newer with nicer appliances and rooms. There are positives and negatives to both though.

In terms of being close to the business school, you'd need to take about 5mins off all the previous times I stated because the business school is closer to Taly than hoffi coffi/ the ASSL library which was where I was estimating from.

Also close to the business school is Colum road, Union State, Aberdare and Aberconway.

Which non-Taly halls are you interested in? I haven't been to them all I'm afraid so might not be able to help.
harrietwalker
Rep:
?
That's kind of a difficult question to answer, because the Taly halls vary so much themselves, e.g. Taly South is nowhere near the quality of Taly Gate. Which does not mean to say south is horrible by any means just that Gate is a lot newer with nicer appliances and rooms. There are positives and negatives to both though.

In terms of being close to the business school, you'd need to take about 5mins off all the previous times I stated because the business school is closer to Taly than hoffi coffi/ the ASSL library which was where I was estimating from.

Also close to the business school is Colum road, Union State, Aberdare and Aberconway.

Which non-Taly halls are you interested in? I haven't been to them all I'm afraid so might not be able to help.
I was just wondering what accommodation is similar to the standard of Talybont Court / Gate also with a similar sort of distance, not more than half an hour away from the uni / business school. And then how far the nightlife is as well (I have a foot injury that slowly on the mend so I need to bare this is mind)
Still-Thinking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by harrietwalker)
I was just wondering what accommodation is similar to the standard of Talybont Court / Gate also with a similar sort of distance, not more than half an hour away from the uni / business school. And then how far the nightlife is as well (I have a foot injury that slowly on the mend so I need to bare this is mind)
Ah right ok. Tbh in terms of quality at any halls they are pretty similar. Would just say that court and Gate are the nicest.

For proximity to your building there is
1. Aberconway which is literally right next door to the business school. I went in there once and only saw the kitchen which seemed nice, quite big but I was in a flat with disability access, so not sure if they are all like that.
2. Colum Road is opposite the road which the business building is down, opposite the far side of Aberconway and would say that's like a 2mins walk if that? Don't know anything about it other than it has ensuites. Sorry.
3. Union State is the next closest, about 6-7mins walk. Other than it being private, and allows non-Cardiff uni students to live there I don't know anything about it.
4. Next is Aberdare, all girls catered halls with shared bathrooms. Big rooms, kitchens not bad size too. Large dining halls. About 7-8mins walk.
5. Next is the Taly court is a 10mins walk
6. Liberty Cambrian point, another private halls that lets non-cardiff students go there. Rooms look very similar to Gate (3/4 bed and tv). About 12mins walk.
7. Is the rest of the talks - South 10-15mins, North 15-20mins, Gate 20-25mins

In terms of proximity to nightlife that's a bit trickier cuz you've got the SU and town. For the SU you need to add about 8mins walk onto the times above.
And you've got town, which obviously has clubs in lots of different places and other halls that are closer to town (e.g. both Senghennydd halls). Distance from the closest club in town (Pryzm) to SU building is another 8mins, so 16ish mins from the business building.
harrietwalker
Rep:
?
Ah right ok. Tbh in terms of quality at any halls they are pretty similar. Would just say that court and Gate are the nicest.

For proximity to your building there is
1. Aberconway which is literally right next door to the business school. I went in there once and only saw the kitchen which seemed nice, quite big but I was in a flat with disability access, so not sure if they are all like that.
2. Colum Road is opposite the road which the business building is down, opposite the far side of Aberconway and would say that's like a 2mins walk if that? Don't know anything about it other than it has ensuites. Sorry.
3. Union State is the next closest, about 6-7mins walk. Other than it being private, and allows non-Cardiff uni students to live there I don't know anything about it.
4. Next is Aberdare, all girls catered halls with shared bathrooms. Big rooms, kitchens not bad size too. Large dining halls. About 7-8mins walk.
5. Next is the Taly court is a 10mins walk
6. Liberty Cambrian point, another private halls that lets non-cardiff students go there. Rooms look very similar to Gate (3/4 bed and tv). About 12mins walk.
7. Is the rest of the talks - South 10-15mins, North 15-20mins, Gate 20-25mins

In terms of proximity to nightlife that's a bit trickier cuz you've got the SU and town. For the SU you need to add about 8mins walk onto the times above.
And you've got town, which obviously has clubs in lots of different places and other halls that are closer to town (e.g. both Senghennydd halls). Distance from the closest club in town (Pryzm) to SU building is another 8mins, so 16ish mins from the business building.
Thank you so much this has been so helpful!!
Carrotcar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah really appreciate it! The open day isn't until April which is so annoying !!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads