The Student Room Group

3 Advanced Highers

Hi, we are currently picking our subject choices for S6 now and I want to do Advanced Higher Maths, Biology, and Chemistry (I would need to go to a different school for the sciences). I just want some people's opinions on if this would be worth it because I want to apply for advanced or second year entry at uni and I'm not sure if doing the three would prevent me having a fun S6. I have been told by my teachers that I am capable of doing them.
Reply 1
Taking 3 Advanced Highers won't mean that you won't have an enjoyable sixth year, it just means that you'll spend a fair bit of time on your final projects (sciences I'm talking about here). Adv. Maths is mental and you really need to study and make sure you know the whole lot right from the beginning, I cannot recommend it at all and I think students should only take it if they absolutely have to.
Reply 2
I'm doing 3 Adv Highers, the projects for bio and chem are killer but the actual concept of doing 3 AH's doesn't impact my sixth year experience. Also, less exams to worry about
I started doing 4 AHs this year. I dropped maths which I probably shouldn't have. I'm naturally good at two of mine so it's not that much of a deal. If you're committed and really enjoy the subjects working hard doesn't become a chore. With projects, most I've heard is that they're not massively hard, just time consuming. Also maths doesn't have that element. If you're good at the subjects and manage your time well it won't impact your s6 experience at all
Reply 4
I'm doing advanced maths, physics and chemistry this year plus higher biology. My advice is to take the three advanced highers, they complement each other and if your teachers have said you are capable you should manage. You will probably need to work harder in sixth year to maintain your grades from fifth year - and be prepared to see your advanced highers through even if you get an unconditional because it won't look good to future employers if you drop out or don't do as well as you could. The projects do require a lot of time and effort, but if you get the experiments done early you should be able to do your write-up justice. Maths does require a lot of practise at home as there is a lot of content to cover so there probably won't be so much time for questions in class time, however Maths and two sciences is less commitment than three sciences (fewer projects). I know I do an extra subject and I also commit a lot of time to running inter house events etc. (I'm a house captain and prefect, but most people in sixth year will probably be involved with something between yearbook committee, running clubs/societies etc.) but the idea that sixth year is 'fun' is a bit misleading - amidst UCAS applications and the stress of projects/dissertations, my year in general is probably under more stress than in fifth year despite a lot of people having unconditionals. i don't know what your school's position is but at our school if you take three advanced highers you only need to do three subjects as opposed to the standard four in sixth year, so you will probably have quite a few free periods to do stuff in - and for most of the year you will be able to use these for leisure so don't worry about missing out on spending time in the common room (if you have one) and the banter which goes aong with it!

Quick Reply

Latest