The Student Room Group

Not enjoying Biomed (Graduate entry med)

Hey I went into university attempting a biomed degree to try to get into medicine afterwards. I really am struggling with the practical sides of things, we have 8 hours straight worth of laboratory stuff every week and I can't really cope with it. If you miss a lab it means you lose 10% of the total grade for the module per lab missed too.

There a few reasons why:
* don't really get on with anyone in the lab as they're all very young and have now set themselves up with partners
*Bad eyesight (waiting on a surgery) so can't really see what I"m doing at all
* I feel clueless and bad at it.

The funny thing is that I actually enjoy the content or well can stomach it and it's not too bad at all, I just do not get on well with the labs at all.
It's really getting to me and I feel like dropping out, I feel pretty dumb all the times in labs whilst getting good grades elsewhere.

I'm not sure what medicine is like but if it has this much laboratory content I don't think I will be able to handle it at all whether I want to be a doctor or not. My friend is beginning and accounting and finance degree in september (or maybe computer science) (We're both 22, mature students, I'm in my first year of biomed after working)
And I almost feel like dropping out and joining him even though it's not what I really REALLY want to do, but I feel like I just would fail a medicine degree anyway if there is a lot of practical stuff and so feel like saying forget it.

I'm not sure what to do or if there is anyway anyone can even answer this, it was a cathartic experience typing it out anyways

TL;DR
- fml
Medical school involves minimal lab work (if any, depending on the medical school you go to). There is practical stuff to do on a medical degree, but it is related to your future job e.g. putting in cannulas and catheters, taking blood etc. Clinical skills are also much better taught than lab skills in my opinion.

Tl;dr: don't write yourself off from medicine if youre not enjoying biomed - despite similar sounding names, they aren't really alike at all.
Original post by Democracy
Medical school involves minimal lab work (if any, depending on the medical school you go to). There is practical stuff to do on a medical degree, but it is related to your future job e.g. putting in cannulas and catheters, taking blood etc. Clinical skills are also much better taught than lab skills in my opinion.

Tl;dr: don't write yourself off from medicine if youre not enjoying biomed - despite similar sounding names, they aren't really alike at all.

Thanks for your response it reassures me that I would be able to cope with medicine hopefully, appreciate it 👍🏼

Just need to get through biomed somehow, *sigh* wanna die
I couldn't stand lab classes in my first degree either. Lab work is not a feature of most medical courses, although it might come up at Oxford and Cambridge. There will be lots of things at medical school that you don't want to do, though. I don't really understand thinking about dropping out (and forgoing a medical career as a consequence) simply because you don't get on with an activity that only requires 8 hours per week during term time.
Original post by MonteCristo
I couldn't stand lab classes in my first degree either. Lab work is not a feature of most medical courses, although it might come up at Oxford and Cambridge. There will be lots of things at medical school that you don't want to do, though. I don't really understand thinking about dropping out (and forgoing a medical career as a consequence) simply because you don't get on with an activity that only requires 8 hours per week during term time.

True, I'm just depressed atm and on anti depressants so that's probably affecting it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending