The Student Room Group

My BTEC IT course is an absolute ******* joke!!

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Woah, that was quite deep lol

Tbh with you my BTEC is actually really fun and we do a lot of programming and my teachers always check for plagiarism from Google. It has to be your own unique work. We had over 10 people excluded because of copying directly from Google.

But yeah, kinda getting bored of repetitive work though...
But you get a Distinction... with little effort...

I get you want to learn and everything but aren't you at least a little relieved?
I did btec science

1st year- 4 different teachers for psychology.
Our chemistry teacher left a few weeks before the end and he marked all our assignments wrong so we had to settle with a pass.

2nd year - our chemistry teacher got sacked after Christmas and had marked our work wrong. A retired chemistry teacher had to come in and help us out.

Our physics teacher left a few weeks before the end of our course so our biology teacher had to mark all our work
If you don't mind me asking, what college/sixth form do you go to? Because I'm planning to do a BTEC Computing in Loreto College, Manchester or BTEC Creative Media in Cheadle College, Stockport?
Original post by Cherub012

I get you want to learn and everything but aren't you at least a little relieved?

What if the OP actually wants to study computer science at uni? Fair enough programming isn't that difficult but it's still a pointless BTEC if they OP is not being mentally challenged.
Reply 6
I'm doing the Level 2 course, but it's just as bad as how you describe it.

And no, to everyone who thinks BTECs are easy - they're not. BTECs are easy if you're used to grade C and D. The assessment criteria is bull- and so vague that you're more likely to pass if the teacher likes you than whether or not you have at all any knowledge or skills.
Mine's half decent, the only useful thing would be learning visual basics programming language. Everything else goes straight into the bin afterwards.
We have the plagiarism problem too, a few people in our class is blatantly copying work and getting away with it lol
What level BTEC is it?
Original post by Kravence
Mine's half decent, the only useful thing would be learning visual basics programming language. Everything else goes straight into the bin afterwards.
We have the plagiarism problem too, a few people in our class is blatantly copying work and getting away with it lol

You think visual basic is useful? :rofl:
Original post by AishaGirl
You think visual basic is useful? :rofl:

For learning the basics of programming?

yes
Original post by Kravence
For learning the basics of programming?

yes

It's one of the worst languages for new programmers. It's easy but it will come back to bite you when you actually come to learn a proper language like Python, C or C# or Java
You're doing a BTEC. You've basically declared that your academically illiterate and brainless by choosing BTECs. Teachers should prioritise A level students because theyre actually doing courses that are academically intense.
Original post by Cherub012

Yeah, I finished last year with 86% attendance still managed to get D*D* and I'm on track in receiving D*D*D* and my attendance is currently on 74%.

The fact I managed to get into a top 20 university has made me somewhat relieved, however, the fact I'm going to university not knowing much is scary, where most people are going to be somewhat more experienced than myself.

Original post by ALYAMAANI
I did btec science

1st year- 4 different teachers for psychology.
Our chemistry teacher left a few weeks before the end and he marked all our assignments wrong so we had to settle with a pass.

2nd year - our chemistry teacher got sacked after Christmas and had marked our work wrong. A retired chemistry teacher had to come in and help us out.

Our physics teacher left a few weeks before the end of our course so our biology teacher had to mark all our work

I would be extremely annoyed if that happened to me, I am quite thankful that didn't happen otherwise I would have contemplated dropping the course entirely. What did you end up getting in the end? :smile:

Original post by Rainbow_Lippy
If you don't mind me asking, what college/sixth form do you go to? Because I'm planning to do a BTEC Computing in Loreto College, Manchester or BTEC Creative Media in Cheadle College, Stockport?

I won't say specifically where I study, but I'll say I study in South Essex, so nowhere near Manchester or West midlands for that matter.

What if the OP actually wants to study computer science at uni? Fair enough programming isn't that difficult but it's still a pointless BTEC if they OP is not being mentally challenged.

Exactly!!!

Original post by 0zzu
I'm doing the Level 2 course, but it's just as bad as how you describe it.

And no, to everyone who thinks BTECs are easy - they're not. BTECs are easy if you're used to grade C and D. The assessment criteria is bull- and so vague that you're more likely to pass if the teacher likes you than whether or not you have at all any knowledge or skills.

I totally agree with the vagueness of the assignment criteria. The fact that you also only have one chance to resubmit or you have to do the entire unit again is also annoying. The resubmission is also bad too, the idea that the teacher cannot tell you the errors you have made, yet they say learn from your mistakes yet how are you supposed to learn from your mistakes if you do not know what it is??
Original post by markova21
What level BTEC is it?

Level 3
1st year
MMM

2nd year
DDM
Original post by squirrology
the fact I'm going to university not knowing much is scary, where most people are going to be somewhat more experienced than myself.

Thankfully programming and computer science in general is pretty easy to learn by yourself online due to the sheer amount of content available. Don't worry you'll be fine if you teach yourself.
Original post by dvsndvsn
You're doing a BTEC. You've basically declared that your academically illiterate and brainless by choosing BTECs. Teachers should prioritise A level students because theyre actually doing courses that are academically intense.

Don't be mean... nothing wrong with BTEC's.
Thankfully programming and computer science in general is pretty easy to learn by yourself online due to the sheer amount of content available. Don't worry you'll be fine if you teach yourself.

PRSOM. Thanks for the advice! This has slightly put me at ease.
Original post by Steljoy
Woah, that was quite deep lol

Tbh with you my BTEC is actually really fun and we do a lot of programming and my teachers always check for plagiarism from Google. It has to be your own unique work. We had over 10 people excluded because of copying directly from Google.

But yeah, kinda getting bored of repetitive work though...

You're so lucky that you're enjoying your course!! 10 people is waaay too many people getting caught plagiarising!! My class is fairly small, so it's basically like my whole class being excluded..

I agree, the repetition of work can sometimes get quite tiring too.
PRSOM. Thanks for the advice! This has slightly put me at ease.

Hey, I will be there to help! Don't worry, we are in this together :smile:

You're so lucky that you're enjoying your course!! 10 people is waaay too many people getting caught plagiarising!! My class is fairly small, so it's basically like my whole class being excluded..

I agree, the repetition of work can sometimes get quite tiring too.

That is actually a quite small class :s-smilie:

Quick Reply