Brexiters why do you hate scottish independence? Watch

CherishFreedom
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Disagree for two main reasons.

1) Brexiters do not want an independent Scotland rejoining or remaining in the EU. If Brexit goes wrong and becomes a disaster for England and Wales, they don't want to see a happy Scotland safe in the EU and saying 'told you so' at Englands doom.

2) Brexiters by a large mostly xenophobic and racist and they have as much contempt and dislike of Scottish people as they do for European and other foreign people. The only reason why England wants to hold onto Scotland is for its oil and gas rigs and also to subject Scots to unfair laws, cruel welfare reforms and cuts. They don't want to see a successful free Scotland.
With all due respect, is there actually research showing that Brexiters:

1). Do not want an independent Scotland more than the average person?

2). That most Brexiters are xenophobic and racist?

As far as I know, there isn't. It's simply your assumption.

I mean... If you accuse people of these things the least you can do is to back them up. I understand you have your views on Brexit but there's no point making these claims without anything to back them up. You may accuse them as xenophobes, but without evidence does that not make you a bigot?

With regards to Scotland, I don't think people want Scotland to suffer. In fact it would benefit England as a whole if Scotland is to have a successful economy. But most people do not believe this will happen if they are to leave the UK, and there is simply a major difference between the EU's relationship with the UK, and the UK's with Scotland as I have mentioned previously. What I was pointing out is that it is not appropriate to link the arguments for Brexit to Scottish independence like-for-like because the contexts are very different.

You can be in favour of Brexit but against Scottish independence without being contrary.
Naveed-7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because of this:

Naveed-7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And because of this (Well done David Davis) :

Naveed-7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
AND because of this:

JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I sympathise with the SNP's position since I'm anti-Tory, a Remainer and not fond of Westminster in general but the case just doesn't add up. Their last white paper for independence was based on $90 a barrell and the current revenues are £7 billion in the hole compared to their predictions. To quote Alex Salmond on LBC the other day oil revenues are now considered a "bonus".

Like Brexit they won't end up ruined if they do leave but the Land of Milk and Honey they're imagining is a pipedream.
arcadia141
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Whether you are for or against brexit, there is no benefit in independence for Scotland. Firstly, if they are upset about leaving a union, why leave another union... logic? Plus it's already been stated numerous times by EU leaders that Scotland cannot re-enter the union on their own. Talk about screwing yourself over... Sturgeon is not a smart one is she. Maybe the Scots are starting to realise that, with the SNP losing their majority in the Scottish parliament, thank god.
TSLW
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If scotland want to have a referendum, let them.

It would be disastrous for the Scottish economy though. The oil industry will not last forever and is in decline, and they are relying on being accepted into the EU. But, they'll be at the back of the queue and it could take over 10 years to join. By that time, they'll be in huge debt.

There will be no more reduced fees for uni as they will not be able to afford it, which is an important factor.

Then there's the currency. I doubt they could use the Pound, and they won't be able to use the Euro as they won't be immediately part of the EU. So what do they use? If they use a 'Scottish pound' it'll be worthless, which will wreck their economy.

There are many other reasons, but these are the ones off the top of my head
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Scotland voted to remain a country inside the United Kingdom during a referendum which took place in 2014. This referendum vote was conducted in spite of a Conservative government and the Conservatives' intention to have a referendum on Britain's membership of the EU was announced well before the Scottish referendum vote took place. Scotland voted to be part of a United Kingdom and therefore they have an onus to accept the will of the majority of the UK's people.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JamesN88)
Their last white paper for independence was based on $90 a barrell and the current revenues are £7 billion in the hole compared to their predictions.
Actually it was $113 a barrel that the white paper looked at. The problem with that, and indeed other fiscal outlooks, wasn't even so much the barrel price but the entirely inflated projections they made about production levels. Even if you'd cross-referenced a reasonable forecast with an oil price that high, the projected revenues would have been far lower.

I make this point to underline that the SNP wasn't just a victim of the fluctuating price of a commodity here - although that is something that they were repeatedly warned about. What is at issue is that their projections were fundamentally dishonest and prepared in a dishonest way - oil price notwithstanding.
ridersofrohan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by intelligent con)
Surely you would support another fellow fighter against an oppressive bureaucratic far away government? Instead, I see you guys stamping your feet like toddlers over the idea that the Scottish people may even get a chance to exercise their democratic right. All you do is go on about how terrible Scotland's economy will be outside of the UK, and how the so called "experts" say it will cause massive damage. This is nothing but project fear and talking Scotland down. Scotland will be able to make great deals with a wide range of countries across the world like Zimbabwe, without having to deal with unelected Westminster bureaucrats who can't agree on whether shortbread should be a square or circle.

Although it's nowhere near as large a market as the UK they will still be in a stronger negotiating position, the fact is the UK needs Scotland more than they need us. We will bend over backwards for their every request because we won't want to lose billions imposing tariffs on shortbread or whisky. Failing that, the huge amounts of English citizens living in Scotland will make useful bargaining chips to further strengthen Scotlands hand.

It's time you all stopped with the fearmongering and accepted that it is a fact Scotland will be better off outside of the UK, instead of trying to subvert the will of the people by rejecting the referendum in parliament.
The Scottish were given a referendum on independence in 2014. They lost. It was described as a 'once in a generation' decision. You cannot simply call a new referendum every time the circumstances change.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a Brexiter, and I don't.

I personally think it's nuts that Sturgeon is doing it seemingly all on the basis of the 'remaining' issue, it is strategic suicide as she seems to have forgotten about 40% of her electorate.

She clearly thinks she can tip it just over by the swing voters who voted to stay in the UK because of the EU- I think this is a miscalculation.

I'd like to see a united Ireland more, but Scottish independence as well.

I think the former will happen, not sure about the latter at all.
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by intelligent con)
Surely you would support another fellow fighter against an oppressive bureaucratic far away government? Instead, I see you guys stamping your feet like toddlers over the idea that the Scottish people may even get a chance to exercise their democratic right. All you do is go on about how terrible Scotland's economy will be outside of the UK, and how the so called "experts" say it will cause massive damage. This is nothing but project fear and talking Scotland down. Scotland will be able to make great deals with a wide range of countries across the world like Zimbabwe, without having to deal with unelected Westminster bureaucrats who can't agree on whether shortbread should be a square or circle.

Although it's nowhere near as large a market as the UK they will still be in a stronger negotiating position, the fact is the UK needs Scotland more than they need us. We will bend over backwards for their every request because we won't want to lose billions imposing tariffs on shortbread or whisky. Failing that, the huge amounts of English citizens living in Scotland will make useful bargaining chips to further strengthen Scotlands hand.

It's time you all stopped with the fearmongering and accepted that it is a fact Scotland will be better off outside of the UK, instead of trying to subvert the will of the people by rejecting the referendum in parliament.
Except most Scots don't want independence or another referendum. Stop conflating this ******** Sturgeon with the wider population.

Posted from TSR Mobile
reim123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
let them have it people voice. just like you voted brexiters i know majority of them 70s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads