This discussion is closed.
phoebe.gh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I really want to apply to uni to study IR, preferably with French. I'm currently in Year 12 and have a mandatory weeks work experience, and I'm looking for some suggestions of what could enhance my skill set/personal statement? I can't go to London unfortunately, so I feel pretty limited. Any suggestions would be so useful; deadlines for submitting work experience are coming up aaaand i have absolutely nothing!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by phoebe.gh)
I really want to apply to uni to study IR, preferably with French. I'm currently in Year 12 and have a mandatory weeks work experience, and I'm looking for some suggestions of what could enhance my skill set/personal statement? I can't go to London unfortunately, so I feel pretty limited. Any suggestions would be so useful; deadlines for submitting work experience are coming up aaaand i have absolutely nothing!
Work experience won't enhance your personal statement. Even if it is relevant, universities won't care. The best places to do work experience are factories, hospitals, shops etc, places where you learn and do practical things. There's very little point going to an office because you will just be making the tea.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need relevant experience for an IR degree do don't worry if you can't find anything relevant. The closest you might get is work experience in your local constituency office, its worth contacting MP's near you to see if they will take you. Obviously don't expect anything to do anything groundbreaking in a week but you should be able to do a bit more than just make tea, I got to respond to some of the constiutency mail (the bulk campaign mail outs rather than the more sensitive matters).

Failing that then do you have any connections who you could shadow somewhere?
phoebe.gh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
Work experience won't enhance your personal statement. Even if it is relevant, universities won't care. The best places to do work experience are factories, hospitals, shops etc, places where you learn and do practical things. There's very little point going to an office because you will just be making the tea.
Thank you, I already have a week doing practical experience with an archaeology company, I suppose I was just wondering if universities wanted something more relevant to the course!
phoebe.gh
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
You don't need relevant experience for an IR degree do don't worry if you can't find anything relevant. The closest you might get is work experience in your local constituency office, its worth contacting MP's near you to see if they will take you. Obviously don't expect anything to do anything groundbreaking in a week but you should be able to do a bit more than just make tea, I got to respond to some of the constiutency mail (the bulk campaign mail outs rather than the more sensitive matters).

Failing that then do you have any connections who you could shadow somewhere?
Ah thank you! I'd become a bit worried because I'd looked at some of the personal statements for IR on the student room, and they had people going off to the European parliament, which seemed pretty unrealistic for me! there is an MEP constituency office in my town, so I may apply there, as well as to my local MP who has come into my school before, and has said she'd be willing to take some of us on for work shadow. I don't have any real personal connections to other people who might work in relevant fields, because I don't live near London :/
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah thank you! I'd become a bit worried because I'd looked at some of the personal statements for IR on the student room, and they had people going off to the European parliament, which seemed pretty unrealistic for me! there is an MEP constituency office in my town, so I may apply there, as well as to my local MP who has come into my school before, and has said she'd be willing to take some of us on for work shadow. I don't have any real personal connections to other people who might work in relevant fields, because I don't live near London :/
Absolutely no need to go off the European Parliament! IR at most places with perhaps the exceptions of St Andrews and LSE, isn't that competitive and in fact you probably could get in with no work experience, as work experience and academic university study are so very different (hence why work experience is crucial when it comes to applying for a job). I was just suggesting some options seeing as you have this week to fill anyway. When I applied for IR I had a week in a constituency office & I'd read some political magazines.
abbietweeds
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The European Parliament visits are run by schools and are not specific to each student as 20-30 students go on each visit and these take place 20 times a year. I'm sure this won't give them much more of an advantage over you
Snufkin
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abbietweeds)
The European Parliament visits are run by schools and are not specific to each student as 20-30 students go on each visit and these take place 20 times a year. I'm sure this won't give them much more of an advantage over you
Hiya, it's a good idea to check the date on threads before replying to them, bumping threads makes the forum look untidy. As it is, this thread is almost a year old so I'll close it - but thanks for the clarification re EU parliament visits.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.31%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.39%