The Student Room Group

am i racist?

I feel that we should give people who don't speak English and are in the UK, an unlimited fine and force them to learn English within 3 weeks or they get deported. It really grinds my testicles when I hear someone in the shop or in public not speaking English.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're a snowflake that gets triggered when hearing another language.
Reply 2
Original post by dvsndvsn
You're a snowflake that gets triggered when hearing another language.
thanks hun xx
Original post by wsstunt002
I feel that we should give people who don't speak English and are in the UK, an unlimited fine and force them to learn English within 3 weeks or they get deported. It really grinds my testicles when I hear someone in the shop or in public not speaking English.

I understand your point, but it can be hard learning a new language in just within a few weeks. I would say at least a year or so. I had a neighbour who never spoke English and she spoke only Turkish for years. Yet, she never learnt English over 15 years.

so you essentially want to ban everyone who doesn't speak English from the UK? what about tourists? are they only allowed to come if they only speak English while here?
why 3 weeks to learn English? where did your arbitrary figure come from?

In essence from your views I would say yes, you are indeed racist.
No you're not racist

you're just unequivocally demented.
Reply 6
how you think someone can learn an adequate level of english in 3 weeks is beyond me, it takes months at least to become somewhat fluent, and that's if you're really good and work very hard at it

why does it bother you so much? it's not as if you're going to be invited to join the conversation, is it?
(edited 7 years ago)
troll
Reply 8
Original post by hxrrict
how you think someone can learn an adequate level of english in 3 weeks is beyond me, it takes months at least to become somewhat fluent, and that's if you're really good and work very hard at it

why does it bother you so much? it's not as if you're going to be invited to join the conversation, is it?

504 hours in 3 weeks plenty to learn English. If you really want to live here then you would.

Unbelievable.
Reply 10
504 hours in 3 weeks plenty to learn English. If you really want to live here then you would.

the absolute ridiculousness of this post alone leads me to believe this isn't a sincere thread. goodbye, troll
Reply 11
Original post by hxrrict
the absolute ridiculousness of this post leads me to believe this isn't a sincere thread. goodbye, troll

Lol, its funny how delusional you are thinking my serious opinions are trolling if I was a troll I would have been smart and posted anonymously. do you not think?
Why would you care when the whole of America and loads of other parts of the world talks English?
Reply 13
1) Race has nothing to do with your ability to speak a language
2) Semi-obvious troll, but I'll carry on anyway
3) How do you know people speaking another language don't know English?
4) If there are people able to live here already without speaking the language fluently, don't you think they have the right to stay?

Could you clarify the problem you have and what you think the best course of action would be?
Did you ever study a language at GCSE or during years 7-11? Are you fluent? You really think you can learn a whole new language in a month? Lol.
Reply 15
Lol, its funny how delusional you are thinking my serious opinions are trolling if I was a troll I would have been smart and posted anonymously. do you not think?

well, what's more delusional than thinking someone can learn english fluently by working at it non stop for 3 weeks? what a very arbitrary number
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
So on that basis do you think it would be fair for all the Brits living in Spain (or any other EU country) to become a fluent speaker in their language.

How can we deport anyone who is actually here legally - from Poland for example. I can't exactly see the EU being ok with that :laugh:
Reply 17
Original post by nutz99
So on that basis do you think it would be fair for all the Brits living in Spain (or any other EU country) to become a fluent speaker in their language.

agreed, it probably "grinds the testicles" of some spaniards when they hear british pensioners speaking english

An unlimited fine, and three weeks to learn a new language, and / or deportation. Are you trying to sound unreasonable?

How much would you fine the British that can't handle basic grammar or spelling? Unfair innit ..

I do agree that immigrants should want to learn the language of their new home.
Reply 19
Original post by nutz99

How can we deport anyone who is actually here legally - from Poland for example. I can't exactly see the EU being ok with that :laugh:

that's why we are leaving the EU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending