Legal work experience for a 16 y/o?! PRIME? Watch

eam0ss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in Y11 and I'm planning my summer. I'm interested in pursuing law after university (by doing the GDL after doing a modern languages degree) and becoming either a solicitor or barrister. I'm not entirely sure whether or not the legal profession would suit me yet so I'm hoping to do work experience with a firm in the summer holidays to get a taste of what it's like. I would try my nearby high street firms but they don't take on interns at all (I've tried asking).

I'm state school educated so I understand I'm eligible for the PRIME scheme but I'm not sure how it works so if anyone knows how to go about it that'd be sooo helpful!
new1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by eam0ss)
I'm in Y11 and I'm planning my summer. I'm interested in pursuing law after university (by doing the GDL after doing a modern languages degree) and becoming either a solicitor or barrister. I'm not entirely sure whether or not the legal profession would suit me yet so I'm hoping to do work experience with a firm in the summer holidays to get a taste of what it's like. I would try my nearby high street firms but they don't take on interns at all (I've tried asking).

I'm state school educated so I understand I'm eligible for the PRIME scheme but I'm not sure how it works so if anyone knows how to go about it that'd be sooo helpful!

I think for PRIME you either have to be the first generation in your immediate family to go to university of are/previously have got free school meals during education. If you google prime you can find a lot of Law Firms that offer work experience however the majority of them are open to year 12/13 students. I think Allen & Overy offer work experience to years 11-13 so maybe check their website to confirm. Try searching pathways to law and see if your eligible for this as I believe they help you set up work experience and it would be a really good thing to get into if you are seriously considering law as a career.
Hope this helped!
Message me if you have any questions!

(P.S When i say think i mean think so please dont take my word for it and double check)

Thanks
eam0ss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by new1234)
I think for PRIME you either have to be the first generation in your immediate family to go to university of are/previously have got free school meals during education. If you google prime you can find a lot of Law Firms that offer work experience however the majority of them are open to year 12/13 students. I think Allen & Overy offer work experience to years 11-13 so maybe check their website to confirm. Try searching pathways to law and see if your eligible for this as I believe they help you set up work experience and it would be a really good thing to get into if you are seriously considering law as a career.
Hope this helped!
Message me if you have any questions!

(P.S When i say think i mean think so please dont take my word for it and double check)

Thanks
Thank you!! I would also be the first generation of my immediate family to go to university as well. I will look at Allen and Overy; will also search pathways to law too, sounds interesting! Thanks again! Are you studying law (or do you have intentions of becoming a solicitor) yourself?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Weil has a PRIME programme as well, which I believe is still open to applications.

(I personally was not eligible for PRIME, but know a couple of people who did it in year 12 and are now studying law at university.)
new1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you!! I would also be the first generation of my immediate family to go to university as well. I will look at Allen and Overy; will also search pathways to law too, sounds interesting! Thanks again! Are you studying law (or do you have intentions of becoming a solicitor) yourself?
Currently completing my A-Levels (which includes A Level Law) with the intention to go to university to study law and hopefully get a career in Law in the future.
coolio333
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

did you manage to gain any experience??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads