The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Questions about BSc (Honours) Environmental Science

Hi all! I have a few questions I'd like to ask about the Environmental science degree with the open university.
If you have done this course or are in the process of, I would love to hear your thoughts. If you are in the same boat as me, great!
is it wise to do two modules at once? A lot of people in my life are telling me that at (a brick) university people would do more than one and its relatively manageable. A full time student would do 120 credits per year; is it wise to attempt this with the OU? I feel like it would be a lot harder as its mainly self study.
For example, would taking U116 and S112 be too much?

Another thing; While I have completed my A-levels I did not do a science one. While I feel ready and eager to tackle this degree in pursuit of a topic I am deeply interested in and hopefully a career in this field, I worry that this is not enough. If you can offer me some reassurance (or cold hard truth) I would be very grateful.

Lastly, I just want to hear some opinions on the course. Was it enjoyable? Did the last year kill you? (as I've been told it can) Was it easy enough to follow.

I just don't want to make a huge mistake.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Some students do more than 1 module at a time, but it depends what else you do. At brick uni students are full time, so although they take 120 credits that's generally all they do - they might have a part time job, but it's generally 8-20 hours.
If you're working full time and have a family then that will take up a lot of your time. If you're intending to work 40 hours a week and study 40 hours a week, that only leaves 32 hours after sleep - and that's for travelling, cooking, eating, bathing etc. It is possible study 120 credits and work full time but you have to be really good at time management and be prepared to not do much else.
If your degree still does February starts this makes things easier, as you'll be doing one module October -June and one module February-October. But the OU have stopped offering as many February modules. It's also generally easier to double up on the level 1 and 2 modules and spread out the 3's.

How are your maths skills? You need to be really comfortable with the basics, as a lot of that is assumed you know - there will be tables to read etc.
You don't need a science A Level, so you'll be fine. You might need to put in a bit more effort at times to understand things but it will all be explained.

I didn't do the whole degree, but did take some of the modules as part of my degree in social sciences. It was interesting so although it was difficult it was easy to find motivation. You do need to keep on top of the work, though.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Juno
Some students do more than 1 module at a time, but it depends what else you do. At brick uni students are full time, so although they take 120 credits that's generally all they do - they might have a part time job, but it's generally 8-20 hours.
If you're working full time and have a family then that will take up a lot of your time. If you're intending to work 40 hours a week and study 40 hours a week, that only leaves 32 hours after sleep - and that's for travelling, cooking, eating, bathing etc. It is possible study 120 credits and work full time but you have to be really good at time management and be prepared to not do much else.
If your degree still does February starts this makes things easier, as you'll be doing one module October -June and one module February-October. But the OU have stopped offering as many February modules. It's also generally easier to double up on the level 1 and 2 modules and spread out the 3's.

How are your maths skills? You need to be really comfortable with the basics, as a lot of that is assumed you know - there will be tables to read etc.
You don't need a science A Level, so you'll be fine. You might need to put in a bit more effort at times to understand things but it will all be explained.

I didn't do the whole degree, but did take some of the modules as part of my degree in social sciences. It was interesting so although it was difficult it was easy to find motivation. You do need to keep on top of the work, though.

First off, thank you so much for very thoughtful reply. You've given me a lot to think about.
I think I have decided to do one module at a time. I don't work full time, but I am hoping to get up to 30+ hours eventually (bills....), so perhaps many hours of intense self study would be too much. I think this would help me pace myself and not become overwhelmed.
There are February starts still, I've obviously missed the Feb start of U116 so I'll be enrolling for that in October.
My math skills are probably a little rusty, But I did quite well at GCSE maths. I've got the books for the U116 module (thank you, ebay!) and find that the graphs and charts (like the Keeling curve etc) are pretty easy to read. I assume this will become harder as the course goes on, but at level 1 things seem fine for me. I might get myself some basic maths textbooks also.
I am also making my way through a self teaching guide to Geology, hopefully this will help too.
Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Beth_Pearson
First off, thank you so much for very thoughtful reply. You've given me a lot to think about.
I think I have decided to do one module at a time. I don't work full time, but I am hoping to get up to 30+ hours eventually (bills....), so perhaps many hours of intense self study would be too much. I think this would help me pace myself and not become overwhelmed.
There are February starts still, I've obviously missed the Feb start of U116 so I'll be enrolling for that in October.
My math skills are probably a little rusty, But I did quite well at GCSE maths. I've got the books for the U116 module (thank you, ebay!) and find that the graphs and charts (like the Keeling curve etc) are pretty easy to read. I assume this will become harder as the course goes on, but at level 1 things seem fine for me. I might get myself some basic maths textbooks also.
I am also making my way through a self teaching guide to Geology, hopefully this will help too.
Thank you!

You can always take one module, then see how it works out for you and adjust if you want to take 2 together in future. If you've not studied for a while then the initial bit can be difficult. The early modules will focus as much on study skills (like time management, referencing, and essay writing) as they do on the actual subject, because that's where people struggle the most.
Reply 4
Original post by Beth_Pearson
Hi all! I have a few questions I'd like to ask about the Environmental science degree with the open university.
If you have done this course or are in the process of, I would love to hear your thoughts. If you are in the same boat as me, great!
is it wise to do two modules at once? A lot of people in my life are telling me that at (a brick) university people would do more than one and its relatively manageable. A full time student would do 120 credits per year; is it wise to attempt this with the OU? I feel like it would be a lot harder as its mainly self study.
For example, would taking U116 and S112 be too much?

Another thing; While I have completed my A-levels I did not do a science one. While I feel ready and eager to tackle this degree in pursuit of a topic I am deeply interested in and hopefully a career in this field, I worry that this is not enough. If you can offer me some reassurance (or cold hard truth) I would be very grateful.

Lastly, I just want to hear some opinions on the course. Was it enjoyable? Did the last year kill you? (as I've been told it can) Was it easy enough to follow.

I just don't want to make a huge mistake.

Hi Beth, i know this is a year on, i am in the exact same position as you were last year. Im thinking of doing this course, i like that it us doubly accredited and i can continue working.
Did you start the modules? If so how have you found it? Was it easy to motivate yourself and manage suitable time. I would be very grateful for any responses.
Reply 5
Hi, I'm also enrolling for this course starting in February, so I'll be interested to see how Beth and Sb970006 get on! Looks like a really interesting course so I'm looking forward to it.
Dear Beth,I've also enrolled to this course starting October. So excited! I also though first to take 2 modules per one year but manager recommended me to begin with one,to see how it goes and then for future to take 2 next year already. By the way,Beth, where did you find what printed books we need exactly for this course? I also need to buy them anyway) Thank you!
Dear Beth,I've also enrolled to this course starting October. So excited! I also though first to take 2 modules per one year but manager recommended me to begin with one,to see how it goes and then for future to take 2 next year already. By the way,where did you find which printed books we need exactly for this course? I also need to buy them anyway) Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest