dexter124
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm thinking about taking an access course, to put things into context I got 4A* 5As and 3Bs at GCSE, but I messed up my AS-levels then dropped out of school and started working in recruitment. I now want to study computer science at uni, and hence would do a computing access course. If I got good marks on the course would I be able to get into a respected uni's undergrad program, i.e durham, manchester, bristol, southampton etc..? Or do those kinds of unis not even consider people who've done that course..?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dexter124)
I'm thinking about taking an access course, to put things into context I got 4A* 5As and 3Bs at GCSE, but I messed up my AS-levels then dropped out of school and started working in recruitment. I now want to study computer science at uni, and hence would do a computing access course. If I got good marks on the course would I be able to get into a respected uni's undergrad program, i.e durham, manchester, bristol, southampton etc..? Or do those kinds of unis not even consider people who've done that course..?
You need to check university websites, they will say on the course entry requirements page if they accept Access to HE courses or not. You may very well need to do A level maths alongside an Access course if you want to go to top universities.
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dexter124)
Manchester is no for sure, you need a Maths A level even with an Access diploma. They just don't view even the Maths modules you may have on the course as equivalent.

My GCSE results aren't even close to yours (3xB, 6xC & 1xE), but I'm on an Access course for Computing and ICT. I've got offers from Leeds and Nottingham. Other people on my course have offers from Lancaster.

Make sure your Access course has at least 5 mathematics modules. If you're serious about a higher ranked uni, check with their entry requirements or even with their admissions office, maybe consider doing a maths A-level at the same time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads