The Student Room Group

Accomodation - building works keeping me awake

I've been at university for about 6 months now and nearly every week morning I'm woken up by builders working on a building right outside my room. Is there a breach of contract here and a chance for compensation?
Note that the building started after I had joined and I was not told it would be starting.
Reply 1
Original post by Nab98
I've been at university for about 6 months now and nearly every week morning I'm woken up by builders working on a building right outside my room. Is there a breach of contract here and a chance for compensation?
Note that the building started after I had joined and I was not told it would be starting.

Probably not if the noise is during the day and is not unreasonably loud. Councils set noise limits and also times when construction work is allowed, eg between 8am and 6pm during weekdays. But it varies by council, check their website for details.

Are you in university owned accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nab98

You gave away more here than you intended to.
It's very likely they're only building during the day for times you should be awake anyway..
Original post by Jackieox
It's very likely they're only building during the day for times you should be awake anyway..

This. You could complain if they were starting at 5am... but if you're upset about noise at 8am+ then you should go to bed earlier.
Original post by Nab98

You dont say what time the noise starts. the builders should make sure they keep their work times within agreed hours. You can contact your local council about the times. Environmental health.

Its normally 8am-6pm weekdays and 8am-1pm weekends.

You can make a complaint to the accommodation office, but the noise isnt their fault (unless its uni building). It would have more impact if you collected evidence / diary and recordings plus complained as a group.

If you dont have evidence an they are keeping within the times, then I wouldnt hol your breath.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending