The Student Room Group

dear Muslim brothers and sisters

hi friends i want to convert to Islam and i have been brought up christian i have researched a lot about Islam how should i convert?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To convert you just have to say the shadah!

What made you want to convert brother?
Go to a mosque and they'll help you through everything.
btw you have to be sure you want to convert. Islam isn't just going to church once a week it is a whole way of life. So good luck and welcome to Islam!
Original post by hellomynameisdro
hi friends i want to convert to Islam and i have been brought up christian i have researched a lot about Islam how should i convert?

You've researched a lot about Islam, but don't know how to convert? Sounds legit...
speak to an imam at the mosque, and be sure this is something you want to do.
Original post by XavierMyshkin

when i heard the azaan i felt like something was calling me i felt something in my heart i know now i should follow the right path
Original post by YoloBaggins00
Go to a mosque and they'll help you through everything.
btw you have to be sure you want to convert. Islam isn't just going to church once a week it is a whole way of life. So good luck and welcome to Islam!

thank you ever so much!
Original post by hellomynameisdro
thank you ever so much!

If you ever need any advice or help ask any muslim and they'll be more than happy to help.
@hellomynameisdro go to the ISOC thread under Faith and Spirituality and speak to the members there :smile:
Original post by AishaGirl
@hellomynameisdro go to the ISOC thread under Faith and Spirituality and speak to the members there :smile:

Thank you sister:smile:
How the **** one "converts" to a belief system is beyond me.

To believe X = to be convinced that X is true - this is an involuntary action. You can't just start "believing" something because you want to - you have to be CONVINCED that something is true. Now people can be convinced for good reasons, or bad reasons, but nonetheless, they have to be convinced its true in order to believe it.

islam makes some pretty bold truth claims - in order to be a muslim, one must accept those claims to be true. Now, there are two options here:
1. You are convinced that those claims are true
2. You are not convinced that those claims are true

That's it. If you are convinced, you are a muslim. If you are not convinced - you are not a muslim. This is where I am puzzled - how does saying "blabity blabity blah" makes you a muslim if you are not convinced to begin with?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kuffar Sheikh
That's it. If you are convinced, you are a muslim. If you are not convinced - you are not a muslim. This is where I am puzzled - how does saying "blabity blabity blah" makes you a muslim if you are not convinced to begin with?

"blabity blabity blah"? I never heard a Muslim or non Muslim say that :rolleyes:
"blabity blabity blah"? I never heard a Muslim or non Muslim say that :rolleyes:

If that's your biggest objection to what I wrote, I am sure that you have made your best intellectual contribution and I don't expect anything else from you on this question. Thank you.
If that's your biggest objection to what I wrote, I am sure that you have made your best intellectual contribution and I don't expect anything else from you on this question. Thank you.

Well your question was all over the place so it was hard to decipher what it is you were asking exactly.
Well your question was all over the place so it was hard to decipher what it is you were asking exactly.

Thank you.
Thank you.

You're welcome :h:
Original post by XavierMyshkin

Shahada in front of an Imam and witnesses; other requirements depend on school or sect etc

Barelvi, Shia, Wahabi, Salafi, WIll you follow a silsila Sufi school.... btw many of those denominations and sects consider other muslims kafir .... u choose!
Reply 17
Apparently saying a phrase makes you a Muslim.
I see the Muslim faith has had an explosion of supporters lately.
How the **** one "converts" to a belief system is beyond me.

To believe X = to be convinced that X is true - this is an involuntary action. You can't just start "believing" something because you want to - you have to be CONVINCED that something is true. Now people can be convinced for good reasons, or bad reasons, but nonetheless, they have to be convinced its true in order to believe it.

islam makes some pretty bold truth claims - in order to be a muslim, one must accept those claims to be true. Now, there are two options here:
1. You are convinced that those claims are true
2. You are not convinced that those claims are true

It doesn't. The Shahadah is just a verbal expression which declares that you believe Islam's claims are true. But if you're just saying it without actually believing in those claims, then you're not a Muslim.

If you actually believe in all of Islam's claims, then you could technically be considered to be a Muslim. The Shahadah declares this to be the case and gets you recognised as a Muslim.

Quick Reply

Latest